Traveling to Newcastle for the first time.

oldtype

So I'm a a Korean fan (there are lots of us btw  :thup: ), and me and a mate will be finally making our first trip to Newcastle over spring break this year, with a view to staying in the city for a couple of days and catching the Man City game.

While I don't believe in the slightest the media drivel about racism in the area, I do admit that it's mildly intimidating as an Asian to be traveling into a city that is, as far as Wikipedia can tell me, 93.1% white.

So what I'm wondering is, what sort of a reaction do you think the average fan would have to an Asian being in the stands at St James' Park singing along at the top of his lungs with a heavy American accent? Can I count on some bemused glances being thrown my way?

Oh and any travel tips would be appreciated as well.  :winking:

Guest Geordie_mafia

nah there is loads of asians that go to the matches because of the university having quite alot of asian

students , they go all the time. its a highlight of the toon

Can't imagine there being any problem.

Also I'm sure if you are subject to any racial abuse from any individual at the game then if you contact a steward that person will be ejected from the ground.

Guest smoggeordie

Aye mate, you'll have no problems whatsoever, as long as you don't take pictures for 90 minutes like some gadgy in front of me at the Chelsea game did.

I hate to burst the feelgood bubble but having travelled to Newcastle twice now for matches, I would offer a couple of words of warning.

The locals are not as friendly as they claim. I stopped several to ask for directions and was either ignored or they had no time for me. Finally a Scot who was just visiting helped me out. Trying to talk to anyone at the pub or at the match seemed to be a non starter. The friendliest guy was at the club shop and he was from Dublin. I think a big part of it may be my Canadian accent which the locals took for American. I have travelled quite a bit in my life and always make an effort to talk to the locals and I find Newcastle was as unfriendly as London.

As far as racism goes,  I was shocked at how openly and aggressively racist people were. At the Citeh match last year the nutter beside me started calling out racist comments every time Sun Jihai touched the ball!?!

Oh and btw, steer clear of the packs of Chavs that you will no doubt see - they are pretty aggressive.

I think you will have a great time - just keep your guard up like travelling anywhere else.

So I'm a a Korean fan (there are lots of us btw :thup: ), and me and a mate will be finally making our first trip to Newcastle over spring break this year, with a view to staying in the city for a couple of days and catching the Man City game.

While I don't believe in the slightest the media drivel about racism in the area, I do admit that it's mildly intimidating as an Asian to be traveling into a city that is, as far as Wikipedia can tell me, 93.1% white.

So what I'm wondering is, what sort of a reaction do you think the average fan would have to an Asian being in the stands at St James' Park singing along at the top of his lungs with a heavy American accent? Can I count on some bemused glances being thrown my way?

Oh and any travel tips would be appreciated as well. :winking:

Anyone can write wikipedia, those statistics could be made up. Although its a prodominatly white, there is many different people of different races and religions all around the city. Racisim hasnt really been much of problem to my friends of different races and the people who do hold racist viewpoints tend to keep to themselves rather than put them into practice.

I have seen plenty of Koreans and people from all over the globe at Newcastle games, I would be very suprised if you encountered any problems there.

As for the American accent bit you should be okay if you dont start chanting 'DE-FENCE!DE-FENCE!DE-FENCE!' ;)

So I'm a a Korean fan (there are lots of us btw  :thup: ), and me and a mate will be finally making our first trip to Newcastle over spring break this year, with a view to staying in the city for a couple of days and catching the Man City game.

Backpackers Inn. Very convenient and strategic location, good price (compared to other hostels in Newcastle)

While I don't believe in the slightest the media drivel about racism in the area,

There is hardly any racism in Newcastle bar the very rare and odd ignorants people who thought spouting racisms comments is part of their humour culture. If anything Newcastle upon Tyne must be one of the least xenophobic place in Uk. You would hardly find any more helpful and friendly people than the constantly binging Geordies

I do admit that it's mildly intimidating as an Asian to be traveling into a city that is, as far as Wikipedia can tell me, 93.1% white.

Nah, as like any cosmopolitean city it is more colourful in the city centre. Newcastle is veeeery safe and user friendly.

Other people will probably be bemused, but don't take it in a negative way!

Oh and any travel tips would be appreciated as well.  :winking:

Bring loads of money with you to help boost the city economy :D If you need more private helps and suggestions PM me :)

I hate to burst the feelgood bubble but having travelled to Newcastle twice now for matches, I would offer a couple of words of warning.

The locals are not as friendly as they claim. I stopped several to ask for directions and was either ignored or they had no time for me. Finally a Scot who was just visiting helped me out. Trying to talk to anyone at the pub or at the match seemed to be a non starter. The friendliest guy was at the club shop and he was from Dublin. I think a big part of it may be my Canadian accent which the locals took for American. I have travelled quite a bit in my life and always make an effort to talk to the locals and I find Newcastle was as unfriendly as London.

As far as racism goes,  I was shocked at how openly and aggressively racist people were. At the Citeh match last year the nutter beside me started calling out racist comments every time Sun Jihai touched the ball!?!

Oh and btw, steer clear of the packs of Chavs that you will no doubt see - they are pretty aggressive.

I think you will have a great time - just keep your guard up like travelling anywhere else.

To be brutally honest I find your comments odd. I have never encountered any problems asking for directions, to the extent that I never prepare myself if I go to any new place in Newcastle because I know that helps are plentiful if I do encounter difficulties.

There are racisms everywhere. I think if the fans are frustrated in a match they will abuse everyone in sight (especially those soft targets). I would definitely say it is individual case rather than institutionalised racism.

As for the chavs, they are just like any problematic youth in any other countries. Some can be aggressive. But as long as you don't purposely avoid them, or provocate them you shouldn't have any problem (I even live in a place flooded with chav)

PS Newcastle is definitely a much better city than London in my opinion. London is only bigger hence offereing more varieities. Other than that Newcastle wins by a country mile in everything else.

You really don't need to be worried about the racism thing. I'm not naive to think that racism does not exist, but in general Newcastle is not a racist city, and there aren't really racist attacks or anything. I can't see it being a problem for you at all. Despite being a predominantly white city, there are people of all races who live here, and as has already been said, there are a lot of Asian students studying at the two universities.

Racist comments inside the ground, well, you might be unfortunate enough to sit near some idiot who makes racist remarks. Sadly there are still a few knobheads at every club who will come out with this sh!t, but they are few in number these days, and people do often tell them to shut up.

As far as friendliness goes, in general people will help you if you ask for directions etc, I can only think that the Canadian fan was unfortunate and encountered some of the more grumpier buggers.

The biggest threat to spoiling your visit is likely to be the performance of the team themselves.

Guest geordie01

As far as racism goes, I was shocked at how openly and aggressively racist people were. At the Citeh match last year the nutter beside me started calling out racist comments every time Sun Jihai touched the ball!?!

they are 1 of the most friendliest people in the country so cant see where your coming from with that comment

HOWEVER

poor at directions. when i had just arrived stopped and asked 2 people ( 1 after the other) where pilgrim street was - i was standing in grainger street - and they couldnt tell me

another time i was walkin past the gate and asked another to tell me where newcastle arms was. couldnt tell me.

maybe i was unlucky and was in fact asking 3 mackems

Guest Grimbo

So I'm a Korean fan

Korean Dyer?

Seriously, I can't imagine you having any bother. Just wear your Toon top with pride and you'll be fine!

You will enjoy visiting Newcastle I'm sure. I have had a lot of foreign visitors in town and they all loved it and want to return.

Canuck's comments surprise me, I've certainly not known anyone have "being American" held against them here - although I have heard about it in some parts of Europe. Sadly Canuck must have met the wrong person.

IMO there is virtually zero racism around the city although any opposition player could come in for abuse. No one get's more abuse at SJP than Geordies who play opposition teams e.g Michael Carrick recently.

The food is OK and there are hundreds of decent restaurants, although as far as I know there are no Korean places, so you'd better bring your own supply of kimshi.

Guest Grimbo

Can someone answer my question please? :lol:

A budget hotel (Travellodge, Travel Inn etc...) all work out at about £45 per night....

Obvioulsy if you wanted cheaper then you could probably find a B&B for £20 per night or so.

You will enjoy visiting Newcastle I'm sure. I have had a lot of foreign visitors in town and they all loved it and want to return.

Canuck's comments surprise me, I've certainly not known anyone have "being American" held against them here - although I have heard about it in some parts of Europe. Sadly Canuck must have met the wrong person.

IMO there is virtually zero racism around the city although any opposition player could come in for abuse. No one get's more abuse at SJP than Geordies who play opposition teams e.g Michael Carrick recently.

The food is OK and there are hundreds of decent restaurants, although as far as I know there are no Korean places, so you'd better bring your own supply of kimshi.

I pretty sure thers a Korean resuarant in the toon.

We have more Italian resurants than any other city in the country, how cool is that :D

About Newcastle, UK - England

Located along England's North Coast between Yorkshire and Scotland, Newcastle upon Tyne is fast becoming one of Britain's most appealing destinations. The proud locals are called "Geordies" (the most famous of whom is Sting), and the favorite local beverage is the beloved Newcastle Brown Ale. A former industrial town and shipbuilding center, Newcastle was the victim of urban blight until a revitalization program in the last two decades brightened up the city both physically and culturally. The impressive Metro Centre at Gateshead is the largest indoor shopping complex in the world. The charming city center and rejuvenated Quayside feature a bustling mix of cafés, trendy shops, and restaurants. Historical sites include the daunting medieval castle, for which the city is named, and the fourteenth century cathedral with its regal tower.