Advice on travelling

colinmk

Just after a bit of advice from people who have done it.

I'm thinking of going travelling after i finish this course im doing. Not much happening at the moment and i reckon its time do to something like this. Where would people recommend going? I'd like to go to Australia at some point. Would love to go to some Asian countrys like Vietnam/Thailand maybe China or Japan and some mad places like Tibet.

For people that have done it how much money do you think you need to start off and is it hard to find jobs along the way to finance it? I dunno if it would be better to do it on your own or go with someone, suppose it depends really, any thoughts?

Probably won't help but my Spanish teacher took a year out last year and went to India, she said on £1000 she lived like a queen for 9 months, plush hotel room, out every night for dinner apparently, and the locals sounded pretty cool.

My only advice is this: do it now, or you'll regret it later.

The chance to experience other cultures, other countries is one I wish I'd grasped after graduating, and it's too difficult (not impossible, but definitely risky) taking a year off to go travelling when you're trapped in by such things a mortgages, pension contributions etc etc...

I'm thinking of going travelling after i finish this course im doing. Not much happening at the moment and i reckon its time do to something like this. Where would people recommend going? I'd like to go to Australia at some point. Would love to go to some Asian countrys like Vietnam/Thailand maybe China or Japan and some mad places like Tibet.

I don't think you should go to Australia. It would be too easy for you. Go somewhere completely new and different like Vietnam/Thailand/China or other developing countries. Japan and Australia are too expensive.

For people that have done it how much money do you think you need to start off and is it hard to find jobs along the way to finance it? I dunno if it would be better to do it on your own or go with someone, suppose it depends really, any thoughts?

You should count yourself blessed and ucky because pound is one of the strongest currency in the world. That means the living standard is lower in almost any other country. It could be hard to get a job when you are travelling (unless you can perform music/magic on the street) so save enough money before you depart. There are pros and cons going alone. Pros are that you have ultimate freedom and least responsibility, cons are that you could be very lonely and helpless at times. Bottomline is, if you have enough money you will always survive.

I don't think you should go to Australia. It would be too easy for you. Go somewhere completely new and different like Vietnam/Thailand/China or other developing countries. Japan and Australia are too expensive.

You should count yourself blessed and ucky because pound is one of the strongest currency in the world. That means the living standard is lower in almost any other country. It could be hard to get a job when you are travelling (unless you can perform music/magic on the street) so save enough money before you depart. There are pros and cons going alone. Pros are that you have ultimate freedom and least responsibility, cons are that you could be very lonely and helpless at times. Bottomline is, if you have enough money you will always survive.

Cheers. Aye well your probably right, Australia probably would be too easy. Thinking more about i'd want to see totally different places to here.

Has anyone actually been to Thailand/Vietnam or Cambodia or anywhere like that?

Cheers. Aye well your probably right, Australia probably would be too easy. Thinking more about i'd want to see totally different places to here.

Has anyone actually been to Thailand/Vietnam or Cambodia or anywhere like that?

PM Stevie.  :winking:

Northern Thailand is fantastic as is Central  Thailand Bangkok is a shit hole should stay there as little as possible  not so keen on the South of the country. Japan is bloody expensive although a very nice country very safe, Vietnam is a wonderful place also, highly recommend it!. Australia of course!, that goes with out saying  bluebiggrin.gif and where I'm living at the Canada wonderful  country.

everyoned oes Thailand, Australia and New Zealand

India is always interesting, Malaysia  and Indonesia are farily straightforward

working is tough outside of Oz & NZ

TBH there are some pretty amazing places off the beaten track in teh USA (Arkansas, teh Deep South) or Canada (labrador, NW territories) and you can probably work for a while 'n aall

Central America is where you want to be.

Fly to Panama City then work your way up through Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize and then into Mexico and catch a flight home from either Cancun or Mexico City.

Fly to Panama City then work your way up through Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize and then into Mexico and catch a flight home from either Cancun or Mexico City.

Aye that sounds good, i'd probably end up getting shot though  :lol:

Anyone ever done South America or know much about it? I imagine it would be quite dodgy but quite an experience at the same time. Mind im only judging the dodginess by that city of God film. Morocco would be good also. Gonna need a shit load of cash to get round all these places though!

I regret not going to the South Pacific when I went to Oz - specifically the Cook Islands. Meant to be fantastic and you could stop on route to somewhere else.

Its quite expensive travelling around the smaller islands - not much tourism, only 1 airline etc etc - and the services can be..... .  erratic

They ARE amazing - a better idea might be the outer islands of Fiji - easly to get there and reasonable communications.  Noumea looks good - France in the tropics..................... 

Aye that sounds good, i'd probably end up getting shot though  :lol:

Anyone ever done South America or know much about it? I imagine it would be quite dodgy but quite an experience at the same time. Mind im only judging the dodginess by that city of God film. Morocco would be good also. Gonna need a shit load of cash to get round all these places though!

You won't get shot. What I said above is basically what I did in 2005 apart from I didn't go to Panama I flew into Costa Rica and traveled up from there.  Best time of my life, can't wait till I get the chance to go traveling again.

Aye that sounds good, i'd probably end up getting shot though :lol:

You won't get shot. What I said above is basically what I did in 2005 apart from I didn't go to Panama I flew into Costa Rica and traveled up from there. Best time of my life, can't wait till I get the chance to go traveling again.

Just bookmarked this page for easy future reference...just in case he does go there and he does get shot.

A few photos from my trip... sorry about the size...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/397ea129.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/b84d2ec4.jpg

Beach in Cahuita, Carribean coast of Costa Rica

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/Nicaragua/P1010004.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/Nicaragua/P1010003.jpg

View from the boat of Isla de Ometepe, Lake Nicaragua, Nicaragua. Two volcanoes. One of them erupted a few days after I left the island, would have been amazing to see, no real damage but the whole place was covered in ash!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/Nicaragua/P1010051.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/Nicaragua/P1010052.jpg

Some of the fish I caught from Lake Nicaragua and then on the stove cooking. Best fish I've ever had! And that is oil in that Coke bottle, not piss.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/gregtomlinson/Nicaragua/P1010015.jpg

A monkey up a tree!

Thailand gets a bad reputation for being full of perverts but its a beautiful country. You should definately go there if you get the chance.

Does it shite.

Where I was (Phuket), was actually voted the most exclusive and beautiful resort in the world.  Don't tar the whole of SE Asia with the same brush.

Colin lad.....  http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,12857.0.html

http://www.travelplaces.co.uk/images/cape-panwa-aerial.jpg

That's where we stayed, for a single room you can doss doon for about £50 a neet but it really is luxury.

The peak seasons in Thailand are generally January to March, and don't go from the end of July to November for fuck sake, as that's monsoon season.

Thailand gets a bad reputation for being full of perverts but its a beautiful country. You should definately go there if you get the chance.

Does it shite.

Where I was (Phuket), was actually voted the most exclusive and beautiful resort in the world.  Don't tar the whole of SE Asia with the same brush.

Colin lad.....  http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,12857.0.html

That's where we stayed, for a single room you can doss doon for about £50 a neet but it really is luxury.

The peak seasons in Thailand are generally January to March, and don't go from the end of July to November for F*** sake, as that's monsoon season.

Cheers Stevie, sounds like a quality holiday. You going this year then?

Does it shite.

The peak seasons in Thailand are generally January to March, and don't go from the end of July to November for F*** sake, as that's monsoon season.

Cheers Stevie, sounds like a quality holiday. You going this year then?

I can't even afford Butlins this year mate  bluecry.gif (not that I'd gan there anyway). 

I will go back though definitely.  Tell ye what though ye have to be prepared to see all manner of wildife.  I'm cryin aboot mice in the hoose, we had top top top class accomodation and no word of a lie a lizard aboot 3 feet long used to crawl up-side doon on the ceiling every neet, but luckily I was that pissed most neets I didn't care.  We had monkey's in the trees next to our hoose they used to come doon beside the pool, then pinch sweets and fruit the cheeky little cunts.  Funny though.