USB problem

Wullie

Ok, so I've got broadband again and it's fucked already.  :)

I'm using the router plugged into my computer via USB (my ethernet port just will not work) and I went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and left it on downloading. When I got back, the connection was dead, despite the router working and my mate's connection working fine. It then hung on me and when I removed the router USB connection from its port, a blue error screen flashed up and it shut down. Now, when the router is plugged into any port, the computer won't boot properly and won't enter stand-by, but it will do both no matter what else is plugged into any of the 3 USB ports (mouse and external hard drive).

Can't figure out what the fuck's wrong with it or why it's suddenly knackered, anyone got any ideas? Otherwise I'm going to have to go to PC World before 8 and buy either a bastard USB to Ethernet adaptor (and hope the USB ports work with that) or a new wireless card.

If I plug it into the port it's been in all along working fine, it beeps like it does whenever anything goes into USB, and nothing happens, computer won't even recognise it. If I plug it into one of the two others, it comes up in the connections menu as LAC3, but disabled and the connection won't enable.

Guest Geordie_Paul

Which router is it mate? I know we have a BT Voyager 205 which is a pile of shit! Our first router they sent kept disconnecting every hour or so so they sent us a new one and this one stays on but still fucks up for no reason every now and then. Also it always seems to feel like its overheating to me but they said thats usual lol

It could just be that it's overloading your usb hub thingymajig, usb's not supposed to take the kind of pounding running a broadband connection through it gives it. My crappy usb modem crashes my pc all the time, but there's nothing I can do about it other than by a new ethernet modem/router and smash the fucker to bits with a hammer. What's your blue screen say?

It could just be that it's overloading your usb hub thingymajig, usb's not supposed to take the kind of pounding running a broadband connection through it gives it. My crappy usb modem crashes my pc all the time, but there's nothing I can do about it other than by a new ethernet modem/router and smash the fucker to bits with a hammer. What's your blue screen say?

That's possible I suppose, it was torrenting at the time, so the connection might have been strained. I've not reset the router since it seemed to be working fine and the problem appeared to be at my end, would you recommend it?

I missed the blue screen, it was there for less than a second before shutdown. Wireless connection is going nicely anyway, that's something.

That's possible I suppose, it was torrenting at the time, so the connection might have been strained. I've not reset the router since it seemed to be working fine and the problem appeared to be at my end, would you recommend it?

I missed the blue screen, it was there for less than a second before shutdown. Wireless connection is going nicely anyway, that's something.

Sorry, I know nowt about routers because I've never had one. :(