£1 Houses in Benwell

Guest Geordie_Paul

Guest Geordie_Paul

Remember the houses that were sold for £1 in Benwell in 1999? Whey one of them has just been sold for £145,000 and the other four valued at £150,000! Now that's a canny profit.  tongue.gif

Guest Geordie_Paul

Aye the council wanted to attract more families into the area, they only sold 5 of them like I think. Could be wrong though!

Was a good investment because the place has been cleaned up a lot now like! :thup:

Still a rip-off. I remember laughing about it until someone pointed out the student on placement at our place lived about 2 streets away (Ladykirk Rd. iirc) - then I laughed harder.

Still a rip-off. I remember laughing about it until someone pointed out the student on placement at our place lived about 2 streets away (Ladykirk Rd. iirc) - then I laughed harder.

Well the people who bought them are laughing all the way to the bank now!

Well the people who bought them are laughing all the way to the bank now!

Well I bought a flat in a nicer area at a similar time and made a far larger profit and didn't have to live in shitsville, so there  tongue.gif

Didn't realise you had to live in a house after you bought it?

You don't but you pay capital gains tax on any profit when you sell if you don't. So I maximised my profit by living there bluecool.gif

You don't but you pay capital gains tax on any profit when you sell if you don't. So I maximised my profit by living there bluecool.gif

And buy to let has higher capital requirements.

And buy to let has higher capital requirements.

It wasn't a conscious decision like. I could only afford one small mortgage at the time. I just got very lucky. I feel sorry for first-time buyers now. House prices have gone mental.

• 2 weeks later...

It's tragic that the word 'home' isn't thrown around anymore when looking for a roof over one's head. It's now only 'property' and 'investment'.

It's speculation, reckless lending (money supply is up 14% in the last year alone) and sentiment that has caused this - not supply and demand, immigrants, a strong economy etc, as most EA's and vested interests would like you to believe.

'Debt is real, house prices are just a matter of opinion'