Shin Splints?

TêteDeMaure

I like to go for rather long runs. Recently though, my calf muscles down to my ankles absolutely KILL. I won't stop running, so have been doing it with super aching legs, and it stops immediately after, but the next morning, my legs feel like rocks when  i walk. The pain can eleviate at certain parts of the running, but comes back without any particular reason.

Shin splints is the only thing i can think of.

Any one else do any form of running, with any advice?

Had shin splints a couple of years ago, fucking agony.

Feels like someone is kicking you in the shin everytime you put your foot down. Was at its worst with me when running on hard surfaces, eg the road. Run on grass and you'll notice a big difference.

Do you think that if i did have them, i'd be able to keep on running for a good 30 mins?

I thought it was just people who dont stretch that get them, yet i stretch like fuck for a good while before i even move. Probably hurts more when i do stretch up inbetween pain wise, but i can feel my legs getting tighter.

Near my ankles fucking kill, the insides. It's driving me mad.

I went to the doctors about it, he told me that I had it from doing nothing for ages (a summer) and then I played about 4 hours football continously in a hard surfaced sports hall. Won't insult your intelligence, but he said its all about the muscles around the shin. Stretching lots didn't make much difference to me.

My pain was about half way up my shin, don't know enough about it to say if where your pain is represents the same injury though.

The doc's advice was to rest, unless it got really bad and then he said he'd think about steroids. I didn't really bother resting and it got worse. Its fine now unless I run on the pavement/road.

Sounds pretty much like me. I tore my hamstring, and pretty much sat on my arse/hobbled around on crutches for weeks. Then i've went into running for around 2 hours a night, and its never been like this before.

I run on the roads and pavement, as there isn't really any grass. Sounds as if im fucked.

Not even going to bother my arse going to the doctors, he's THE most patronising man on earth.

Thanks Ally :thup:

With my totally uneducated opinion on the subject I wouldnt imagine shin splints is the cause of pains in your calf muscle ie the back of your leg I would imagine that it is as ally says your shin bone on the front of your leg that hurts when you have shin splints.

Probably a calf strain or something.

Do you stretch properly?

I get something like this a lot, but is more searing pain down the front of my legs rather than back although my calfs get tight too. I presume this is shin spints, like has been said it is worse when i walk/run on hard ground. I've been getting this since i was about 10 and still get it now (havent been to a doc like cos im obv hard as) which is an annoyance rather than a hinderance. My only advice is to stretch lots and do what u would do when u get cramp when it kicks in. I've read is jus one of em things and nothin can do bout it. Get some better trainers too might help - cushioned/air or summit.

Same ting happened to me recently.  I used to run 12 miles a day (road running) but stopped as a result of shin splints.  Only cure I found was to put me hands inside me trainers and use me arms.  On foot I struggled to break 4 minutes for the standard mile.  Since using me hands I can now do a mile in 3 mins 57 seconds AND no shin splints.  :thup:

Going to be a prat here, but i usually just refer to the whole bottom of my leg as the calf, the shins being the front of it and the backs being well, the calf muscle. :D

It's everywhere really, but mainly at the sides, more so the insides, going down to my ankles. Which whatever is at the side of your ankles, go tight and feel as if they are about to snap.

Going to be a prat here, but i usually just refer to the whole bottom of my leg as the calf, the shins being the front of it and the backs being well, the calf muscle. :D

It's everywhere really, but mainly at the sides, more so the insides, going down to my ankles. Which whatever is at the side of your ankles, go tight and feel as if they are about to snap.

'Women's problems' tbh. ;)

Achilles maybe?

Sounds like you may have jumped back into longer distances too quickly after the hamstring injury. Does icing down the ankle help, and is there any kind of swelling to go with? Also, what kind of pain is it? Dull aching or a sharp, stabbing kind?

If it only hurts while you're running, it may be as simple as needing a new pair of shoes. How worn down are the bottoms of the soles?

My main advice, though, is DON'T keep running on it. If you don't give it time to heal, you're going to do more damage. Ease off for a few days, keep it iced down where it's hurting, and when you start up again, start small and build up to longer distances. You can't just pick up again like nothing happened or you're just begging for more injuries.

I'm not a super long-distance runner, but my dad's done 9 Ironman competitions, my mom's done a few dozen marathons, and I just finished a half-marathon this weekend. So I know a little bit about conditioning yourself right, and I know people I can ask for advice.

Guest Geordie_Paul

Been learning about Health, Safety and Injury on me sports course at college. Shin Spints is where the muscle/tendons tear away from the bone, it is usually an over-use injury and can be caused by wrong running technique, running on hard surfaces or even wrong footwear!

Stretching does not really help people prevent shin splints so doubt it is that! I'm not sure what it could be mate, describe it anymore or not?

Shin Splints does often cause pain down the inner leg to just above the ankle so could be that like i suppose. Bend your toes/food forwards and downwards and does that cause pain and is there sometimes redness up the inside of the shin?

I get something like this a lot, but is more searing pain down the front of my legs rather than back although my calfs get tight too. I presume this is shin spints, like has been said it is worse when i walk/run on hard ground. I've been getting this since i was about 10 and still get it now (havent been to a doc like cos im obv hard as) which is an annoyance rather than a hinderance. My only advice is to stretch lots and do what u would do when u get cramp when it kicks in. I've read is jus one of em things and nothin can do bout it. Get some better trainers too might help - cushioned/air or summit.

I get this, didn't realise it could be shin splints mind, and can confirm it definitely has something to do with the shoes/trainers.  Never in my life did I get this pain, then when I fancied a different pair of trainers from my usual Nikes etc, got a pair of skater type trainers, and since, walking has been fucking agony after a certain length.  Seriously.  Can't power walk, need to walk pure slowly to stop it hurting, or I grind to a halt, needing stops etc. :lol:  Funnily enough, I find it easier to sprint at this point than to continue walking, don't ask why.

Can't imagine Testa's jogging in skater shoes though... so it's kind of a moot point. :D

I get this, didn't realise it could be shin splints mind, and can confirm it definitely has something to do with the shoes/trainers.  Never in my life did I get this pain, then when I fancied a different pair of trainers from my usual Nikes etc, got a pair of skater type trainers, and since, walking has been fucking agony after a certain length.  Seriously.  Can't power walk, need to walk pure slowly to stop it hurting, or I grind to a halt, needing stops etc. :lol:  Funnily enough, I find it easier to sprint at this point than to continue walking, don't ask why.

Can't imagine Testa's jogging in skater shoes though... so it's kind of a moot point. :D

ditto...doesnt last very long though with chronic unfitness kicking in after ten seconds. Same if i play football, im fine until i have to slow down/stand around (the latter,always the sign of a good player) and then it kicks in.

I like to go for rather long runs. Recently though, my calf muscles down to my ankles absolutely KILL. I won't stop running, so have been doing it with super aching legs, and it stops immediately after, but the next morning, my legs feel like rocks when  i walk. The pain can eleviate at certain parts of the running, but comes back without any particular reason.

Shin splints is the only thing i can think of.

Any one else do any form of running, with any advice?

I'd book a physio session. Bit pricey but one may be enough to get some decent advice. Also, try running on grass rather than roads, bit muddy at this time of year I know but lower impact. Also, try running on the beach (you live at the coast iirc) - again lower impact. Also, try bike rides/exercise bikes for a while - much lower impact. You may be overdoing the running by the sounds of it.

Didn't Andy Cole suffer from these during his time with us?

He did aye.

Anyway Testa, a pain in the lower leg at the sides and back is not a shin splint.

Keiron Dyer suffered with them at Ipswich and Bobby`s time with us. I don`t know how he got rid of them, probably took a year off.

Dyer got some sort of metal rod inserted in his shin didn't he?

Mine was also caused by my running style, its a bit too flat footed and when on a hard surface it just fucks my legs up.

Didn't Andy Cole suffer from these during his time with us?

He did.  I had the C***s about 5 years ago, and I only started getting them when I switched from Nike Air Max, to adidas samba playing five a side.  It's all to do with how your feet are arched, you can get proper Scholl soles to help ease it.  Running on hard ground with trainers with no bounce fucked mine.   What it is, is the skin and your shin bone moving apart, it can happen to anybody.