Nigel Quashie

Nobby

Nigel Quashie insists that West Ham United will fight their way out of the Premiership drop-zone before the end of the season and then go on to much bigger and better things in the future.

The 28-year-old midfielder completed a £1.5million move from Championship promotion-chasers West Bromwich Albion on Monday night and, having swapped a top-of-the-table battle for a relegation one, admitted that he was excited by the challenge ahead.

"I'm delighted that the deal has now been done and it feels great to be a West Ham United player," said the Scottish international. "I'm now looking forward to being a part of the Club, getting out on the pitch, and getting my foot in to try and help us out of this position.

"As soon as I heard that West Ham were interested, I thought to myself: 'I'd like to be a part of that.' Having met Alan Curbishley and the Chairman, I can see the direction the Club is going in, and I fully believe that the squad here is capable of achieving the success they want.

"The easier option would have been to stay at West Brom and try to keep us up there in the Championship with a chance of promotion but I looked at the situation here and saw it as a Club who can go on to bigger and better things in the future if we can stay in the Premiership this year."

At 28, Nigel arguably still has his peak years in front of him, but brings 11 years of senior experience with him and admits he will do whatever he can to help Alan Curbishley's youngsters fulfil their potential at Upton Park.

"There are some fantastic young players here and I am looking forward to playing alongside them and hopefully passing on some experience," he says. "Nothing would give me more pleasure than to help these young lads keep the Club in the Premiership and then see them to go on and reach the very top.

"Of course it hasn't been a great season so far, but this team shouldn't be in the position it is in, and I believe it is only a matter of time before we push ourselves up the table. It's going to require sheer hard work, and everyone realises exactly where we are, but there is a lot to be positive about.

"I'm under no illusions about the task ahead, but throughout my career, I've faced certain challenges and met them all in the same way - by trying to do the very best I can and giving as much commitment and determination as possible.

"I do feel that I've perhaps got more desire and hunger in me now than when I was a lot younger, and I'm determined to establish myself as a Premiership player. It's a fantastic opportunity for me at West Ham and I can't wait to get started."

http://www.whufc.com/articles/article.php?page_id=8657