Sven to Marseille - DENIED

Syrette

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=440056&CPID=24&clid=144&lid=11&title=L'OM+to+confirm+Sven+deal

Sven Goran Eriksson has agreed to take charge of French giants Marseille.

The club are set to announce new owners later this week and as part of the takeover it will be confirmed that the former England man will take over the managerial hot-seat at the Stade Velodrome.

Eriksson has agreed a three-year term with Marseille and will look to restore the fortunes of the ailing club - who last picked up a trophy some 14 years ago.

Marseille are to confirm all the details of their new hierarchy later this week - but it remains to be seen what part current chairman and manager, Pape Diouf and Albert Emon, will play in the future of the club.

Pretty pleased about this personally, Marseille are my French club and I think Eriksson could be the man to recapture their former glory. Thought he'd end up at a bigger club (not that L'OM aren't huge, but I mean in a higher profile league).

Exciting times for the club.

Wrong!

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=440324&CPID=24&clid=144&lid=2&title=Sven+'not+considering'+Marseille

Sven Goran Eriksson has declared that he has no interest in taking charge at Marseille.

The former England manager was expected to be named as Marseille's new boss later in the week, but he has insisted it is just speculation.

Eriksson was spotted watching a Dubai Cup match between the French side and Lazio, but he maintains that he was not there in a professional capacity.

"These were only rumours. I never considered joining Olympique Marseille," Eriksson was quoted as saying by local newspaper La Provence on Tuesday.

"I'm here on holidays, that's all."

Majority shareholder Robert Louis-Dreyfus is rumoured to be ready to sell the club, with Canadian billionaire Jack Kachkar tipped to become the new owner and subsequently install Eriksson as manager.

However, Marseille mayor Jean-Claude Gaudin is in the dark about a possible change in ownership.

"If OM were about to be sold, Robert Louis-Dreyfus would have talked to me about it," Gaudin told Le Parisien.

"He knows the city is the owner of the stadium, the training camp and the academy, so he would have to talk about a possible takeover with the mayor.

"I think it is only rumours."

I have to say I have a soft spot for Marseille too - but if there's one club (apart from the Toon ;) ) that has "poison chalice" written all over it then it is OM...

Make or break for Sven - either he gets it right now or his days of managing top-tier clubs is over...

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=440056&CPID=24&clid=144&lid=11&title=L'OM+to+confirm+Sven+deal

The club are set to announce new owners later this week and as part of the takeover it will be confirmed that the former England man will take over the managerial hot-seat at the Stade Velodrome.

Eriksson has agreed a three-year term with Marseille and will look to restore the fortunes of the ailing club - who last picked up a trophy some 14 years ago.

Marseille are to confirm all the details of their new hierarchy later this week - but it remains to be seen what part current chairman and manager, Pape Diouf and Albert Emon, will play in the future of the club.

Pretty pleased about this personally, Marseille are my French club and I think Eriksson could be the man to recapture their former glory. Thought he'd end up at a bigger club (not that L'OM aren't huge, but I mean in a higher profile league).

Do they still have the same chairman or president, the one who got them done for bribery (I think it was for bribes anyway)?

Interestingly enough, Sven will still be getting paid something like £13,000 a day by the FA. Wonder if that stops now he's moving on?

Still boils my piss does that fact... :wullie:

Not so much angry at him. More the thick cunts who offered him a ridiculous wage in the first place. No telling what £13,000 a day would do if it was pumped into the sport at the grassroots level for a few months...  :roll:

Do they still have the same chairman or president, the one who got them done for bribery (I think it was for bribes anyway)?

Tapie?

Nah he left about 12/13 years ago now.

Tapie?

Nah he left about 12/13 years ago now.

that's the fella.....thought maybe he was still bankrolling them thats all. cheers.

I can see this being a bit of a disaster. Not too keen on Marseille at all, and can only imagine Sven's style will not go down very well with the locals.

They are a fiery bunch, and if some results go the wrong way, he'll just be sitting there on his bench doing nothing, or selecting certain players then never playing them... he'll be out of there before then end of the season :p

Sven rejects the story - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399210&cc=3436

Eriksson quashes Olympique Marseille link

MARSEILLE, France, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Former England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson says he has no interest in joining Ligue 1 club Olympique Marseille.

'These were only rumours. I never considered joining Olympique Marseille,' Eriksson was quoted as saying by local newspaper La Provence on Tuesday.

Eriksson made the comment after he attended a Dubai Cup match between Lazio and the French league side.

'I'm here on holidays, that's all,' he said.

French press reports hinted that the Swede could become Marseille's next team manager as main shareholder Robert Louis-Dreyfus was said to be eager to sell the club.

Pape Diouf is their president.

According to swedish papers today Sven said "I've never even considered going to Marseille. He's on vacation in Dubai and is also rumoured to be on his way to Qatar or Paris Saint Germain. So your stupid FA  will continue to pay him on daily basis..