Football on TV or Football in the stands

Guest GHoeberX
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest GHoeberX

POLL QUESTION UPDATED! IT'S NOT ABOUT THE ATMOSPHERE ETC. BUT IT'S ABOUT ANALYZING THE MATCH THOROUGHLY

Watching matches on TV with:

1) Zoomed in camera

2) Slow motion

3) replay

4) different angle cameras

Sitting in the stadium:

1) 300 meters away from the players

2) viewing from one angle

3) being distracted by other fans in the stand

4) being unable to watch what happens at the other end of the field

5) have no replay and no slow motion to review the incidents and action again

BUT you can see more players and more off-ball movement in the stadium than on TV.

ALL FACT tbh.

And the whole discussion in pictures (Case study Nou Camp):

http://www.simplybarcelonatickets.com/imgs/camp-nou-1.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/34y7no2.jpg

I've never sat 500 metres away whilst being at the match. Are you sure you weren't watching the match on telly from over the road?  tongue.gif

Guest Gemmill

What sort of a genuine football fan prefers watching games on the telly?  That's the real question here.  The answer is that they don't.  Patrick Kluivert fans do though, seemingly.

Guest GHoeberX

For fucks sake.

Just because you've never been to a football match doesn't mean you have to show us how much you love Eurosport.

I don't love Eurosport. Although the Alpine Skiing is quite fun to see blueyes.gif

In all honesty it's easier to see the match when you are there live at the ground because on telly you don't have the choice of what you look at. However, anyone who suggests that being a season ticket holder means you no more about football is stupid. I probably go to about half the home games and wouldn't say i pick up much more knowledge from watching it at the ground.

Watching on TV doesn't compare to actually being there.

As has been discussed in the MEGA-THREAD, by being at the match I can be better placed to judge a...erm, certain player's movement and effort actually put in, TV won't focus on a player doing nothing, meaning that a player's performance can look better than it actually is.

what i posted on the other thread.

Going to games has 2 clear advantage - atmosphere and off the ball happenings.

On the ball gameplay is clearer on tv.

Footballing knowledge is not measured by going to games or watching on tv.

Going to games puts someone in a better position to judge a player, not necessarily more accurately.

Judging a player based on tv does not make the opinion invalid.

... is what I have to say about this issue.

Its a matter of who is judging not how. Arsene Wenger will be better able to identify a good player watching from a black and white tv than the average joe that goes to games. But he'll find out more if he watches the player in person.

So unless any of you goes by the name Arsene Wenger or is some proven scout there's really no telling who's right who's wrong.

Watching on TV doesn't compare to actually being there.

As has been discussed in the MEGA-THREAD, by being at the match I can be better placed to judge a...erm, certain player's movement and effort actually put in, TV won't focus on a player doing nothing, meaning that a player's performance can look better than it actually is.

Exactly.

No-one is saying you can't make a judgment on a player you haven't seen in the flesh though. I think Ronaldinho is absolutely superb, never seen him play in person. BUT, in the case of Alberto fecking Luque, the 'armchair' fan has not seen what others see, fact.

Guest Gemmill

In all honesty it's easier to see the match when you are there live at the ground because on telly you don't have the choice of what you look at. However, anyone who suggests that being a season ticket holder means you no more about football is stupid. I probably go to about half the home games and wouldn't say i pick up much more knowledge from watching it at the ground.

You don't think that you can see things at the match that won't be shown on telly?  Like off-the-ball movement?  Interesting.  It doesn't mean you know more about football, but you'll certainly get a better view of what went on at that particular game.  A better view of players body language, what they do when the ball is nowhere near them, whether they're interested, which players have found a lot of space for themselves, and which are stood next to their markers.  At the ground you can pick the long ball before it gets played because you see the whole pitch - you also see how the receiver of the long ball found themself in that space.

All stuff you can see at the match that you don't on telly.

You don't think that you can see things at the match that won't be shown on telly?  Like off-the-ball movement?  Interesting.  It doesn't mean you know more about football, but you'll certainly get a better view of what went on at that particular game.  A better view of players body language, what they do when the ball is nowhere near them, whether they're interested, which players have found a lot of space for themselves, and which are stood next to their markers.  At the ground you can pick the long ball before it gets played because you see the whole pitch - you also see how the receiver of the long ball found themself in that space.

All stuff you can see at the match that you don't on telly.

:thup:  exactly

Guest GHoeberX

No-one is saying you can't make a judgment on a player you haven't seen in the flesh though. I think Ronaldinho is absolutely superb, never seen him play in person. BUT, in the case of Alberto fecking Luque, the 'armchair' fan has not seen what others see, fact.

Fact confirmed.

Better atmosphere in stadium. Fact confirmed.

But when I'm watching TV I find it much easier to analyze things then when you're singing songs in the blazing cold while being disturbed by some 100 different voices and perhaps it's me, but I can't really see exactly who made what mistake during matches. It's just too far away to tell. And I've been sitting in the front rows in a lot of stadiums ranging from Mestalla (Spain) to Estadio da Luz (Portugal) and everytime it was the same.

FP, you've missed a few. A con of TV, seeing as you've included "being distracted by the other fans" (:lol:) is that your mam might make you come and sit at the table for your tea where you can't get a good view or make you put your toys away right as extra time is about to start, since it'll soon be beddy-byes.

You've also missed the biggest pro. If you're in the stadium, you miss out on the Patrick Kluivert Half Time Wank, well unless you're really desperate, but I'd not fancy trying it in the Leazes end cubicles.

Guest GHoeberX

FP, you've missed a few. A con of TV, seeing as you've included "being distracted by the other fans" (:lol:) is that your mam might make you come and sit at the table for your tea where you can't get a good view or make you put your toys away right as extra time is about to start, since it'll soon be beddy-byes.

You've also missed the biggest pro. If you're in the stadium, you miss out on the Patrick Kluivert Half Time Wank, well unless you're really desperate, but I'd not fancy trying it in the Leazes end cubicles.

Can someone please delete this newbie from the forum? :lol: tbh

Fact confirmed.

Better atmosphere in stadium. Fact confirmed.

But when I'm watching TV I find it much easier to analyze things then when you're singing songs in the blazing cold while being disturbed by some 100 different voices and perhaps it's me, but I can't really see exactly who made what mistake during matches. It's just too far away to tell. And I've been sitting in the front rows in a lot of stadiums ranging from Mestalla (Spain) to Estadio da Luz (Portugal) and everytime it was the same.

I don't get this "distracted by other fans" arguement, when i'm at the match I don't particularly pay too much notice to what other fans are doing, I certainly don't let it detract from my watching of the match anyway. If you're on about chanting then that's part of the game, do you get bullied by other fans like?

Stadium. if i had the time and the cash i'd go to every sporting event i could (footy, rugby, watching the world rally, hamster throwing...) but unfortunately i canna due to work.....and the fact that i'm permanently skint.

nothing ever compares to a live event and actually being there. TV acts a buffer and neutralises around 70% of the experience, making you rely on opther peoples opinions, useless punditry on sky and BBC (while i work for them they're still useless!) as to what's happening ioff the ball.

Stadium. if i had the time and the cash i'd go to every sporting event i could (footy, rugby, watching the world rally, hamster throwing...) but unfortunately i canna due to work.....and the fact that i'm permanently skint.

nothing ever compares to a live event and actually being there. TV acts a buffer and neutralises around 70% of the experience, making you rely on opther peoples opinions, useless punditry on sky and BBC (while i work for them they're still useless!) as to what's happening ioff the ball.

do you work in White City Pete?

Guest GHoeberX

Actually the question is not about the experience and the atmosphere but about the ability to analyze.

About off-the-ball movement:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2liuavm.jpg

This is typical Dutch live coverage; watch how many players one can see during a live coverage. What more off-ball-movement would you like to see??? Only the last defenders and the keeper are missing.

Actually the question is not about the experience and the atmosphere but about the ability to analyze.

About off-the-ball movement:

This is typical Dutch live coverage; watch how many players one can see during a live coverage. What more off-ball-movement would you like to see??? Only the last defenders and the keeper are missing.

it actually has the psv logo at the top during games?

Guest GHoeberX

What about when the ball is in the midfield area, does it show movement from attackers?

Of course it does. I'm 100% sure of that, because I always watch Paddy's off-the-ball movement when the midfielders have the ball....