Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

The Times tomorrow!!!

Roeder close to signing defender

Gary Jacob

Newcastle United are believed to have agreed to sign Oguchi Onyewu from Standard Liège. Marseilles had offered £2.1 million for the defender, who has been linked with several Barclays Premiership clubs. The 6ft 4in player, who arrived in Newcastle on Saturday, would provide Glenn Roeder, the manager, with defensive cover. They are also examining the possibility of signing Frédéric Piquionne, the 28-year-old striker, on loan from St-Etienne but the move is being hampered by the French club’s demand that the deal becomes permanent at the end of the season for a fee of £5 million. 

I just hope people are a bit patient. He is a raw talent but he has got great potential and is an excellent character.

As both our manager and assistant manager are former defenders he will definitely fulfil that potential because he will work hard.

8)

Most likely complete nonsense.

Here is .com's latest update:

Dreads said Fred?

Having been forced to operate in the loan market, Glenn Roeder continues to pursue defensive and forward reinforcements for the rest of the season.

The latest unconfirmed reports suggest that we are looking to conclude loan deals with Belgian side Standard Liege for defender Oguchi Onyewu (pictured on left) and with French outfit St.Etienne for striker Frédéric Piquionne. 

The Belgian website Flanders News claims that Onyewu arrived on Tyneside over the weekend for talks, as a planned permanent move to Marseille stalled.

Liege won 5-2 at Charleroi on Friday with Onyewu picking up a booking for dissent that would see him suspended from Standard's next fixture.

Onyewu (full name Oguchialu Chilioke Onyewu -  "Gooch" for short) is a 24 year-old USA international central defender from Washington DC, who formerly played for French side Metz and La Louviere in Belgium before moving to Liege in 2004.

He appeared in three games for the USA at last year's World Cup Finals.

The Times also names Piquonne as a target - he's 28 and was born in Martinique. He joined St.Etienne in 2004 after spells elsewhere in France with Nimes and Rennes.

He's understood to be in dispute with his present club over their refusal to broker a deal to sell him to Lyon.

In response to claims of interest from Charlton, Piquonne's agent Karim Djaziri suggested that the player had no interest in coming to England - unless it was to a Champions League side.

With Piquonne missing from their lineup, St.Etienne shared six goals at Lens on Sunday after having been 3-0 ahead at one stage.

Amazed none of the net-scourers picked that up; sounds a reliable source...

Anyone know what the goals-against statistics are for Standard Liège?  Surely that would be an indication as to whether he's any good, or at least a contributor to a defensive line-up that can be any good.

Guest Ridzuan

I believe this news is true and I would expect the loan move to be completed very very soon.Ive never seen him play before but from what Ive heard so far,he is a strong and good defender,just what we needed.

Guest justin99.

Marseille must wait as Onyewu mulls Magpies offer.

By Chris Courtney (in Brussels)

and Gary Davidson (in Washington, D.C.)

SoccerTimes

BRUSSELS (Sunday, January 28, 2007) -- European soccer's longest running drama continues.

The transfer of United States central defender Oguchi Onyewu from Belgium's Standard de Liège to Olympique Marseille of France was supposed to be completed today, but the weekend will end without a signed deal.

When Standard completed an approximate $4-million transfer agreement with Marseille Friday, it announced that the American would sign a contract with the Ligue 1 club over the weekend. Instead, the Sky Sports web site reported that there is still a possibility Onyewu could wind up at Newcastle United of the English Premier League.

Additionally, Het Nieuwsblad of Belgium reported Onyewu is considering offers from Marseille and Newcastle, while the Belgian web site Flanders News reported the 2006 U.S. Soccer Federation "Male Athlete of the Year" traveled to Newcastle over the weekend.

Newcastle's failure to get Argentine defender from Deportivo of Spain, as well as others, has left the club with a gap to fill in back. While Magpies manager Glenn Roeder admits frustration, he has discounted speculation of an Onyewu addition.

Onyewu, 24, who fielded inquiries from top teams in France, England, Spain and Italy, has expressed a desire to play in England. Over the summer, he was thought to be close to a move to the Premier League's Middlesbrough, but a deal never materialized. Earlier this month, Fulham offered a transfer fee of close to $2 million for Onyewu, but was spurned.

Just before the agreement with Marseille, two-time defending EPL champion Chelsea seemed to be close to landing Onyewu for $3.95 million. AC Milan and Lazio of Italy, Real Madrid of Spain, and Lyon of France were all identified as being interested to acquiring the 6-foot-4, 210-pound, bruising 2006 U.S. World Cup veteran.

All of this has left Standard general manager Pierre Francois exasperated. "Why does it continually drag on this way?" he asked Sky Sports. "Don't forget we sold Ivica Dragutinovic to Seville by fax just eight minutes before the window closed last time."

One way or another, the curtain comes down on this show -- considered by some a comedy -- Wednesday, at the latest, when the current transfer window closes.

Guest SmileyCulture

This is a very strong prospect, he's not quite world class yet but he has alot of potential, i've seen quite a few of his games and he knows how to dominate attackers well and control his area, a very cool head keeps him from making stupid mistakes *cough Ramage, Carr, Taylor, Bramble cough* I think he'l be a great signing if we get him.. we still need someone with a little more experiance though to keep our young lads in check.

I just hope people are a bit patient. He is a raw talent but he has got great potential and is an excellent character.

As both our manager and assistant manager are former defenders he will definitely fulfil that potential because he will work hard.

8)

yeah, those two geniuses are BOUND to make him great.

Does anyone actually KNOW how good this fella is, or are we all going of FM2007 and sketchy internet reports?

I've seeen him for the US a couple of times but that's it.

And you'd love it to be true?

I remember seeing Marcelino once in Europe. He looked ace.

And we've all seen the "Luque is world class" showreel.

I just worry about this sort of thing. We've been burnt too often before, and i have zero faith in Roeders ability.

Guest nufc_geordie

If we do sign this guy at least it shows progress. Young, athletic, proven international player who still has a lot of potential. Sounds about the right kind of player to be signing to me.

Will believe it when I see the contract being signed though.