Owen and Shola back in April

James

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=shola-on-course-for-early-return%26method=full%26objectid=18545628%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Shola on course for early return

Jan 29 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Shola Ameobi's hopes of playing in the Premiership again this season are growing after Glenn Roeder admitted for the first time the striker is ahead of schedule in his fight to recover his fitness.

But although he has suggested the 25-year-old could be in contention for a comeback as early as April, the Newcastle boss will put no pressure on a player who was expected to be sidelined until well into the summer months.

Having undergone a pioneering hip operation in the United States in November, Ameobi returned for a consultation with Dr Marc Philippon last week and has been told the progress he has made is highly encouraging.

With Michael Owen also determined to pull on a black-and-white shirt again before the end of this season, Roeder's striking options could be dramatically increased for the closing stages of the top-flight campaign.

But with the long-term health of both players his number one priority, Roeder is taking nothing for granted and will only seek to include the pair when it is clear their problems are well and truly behind them.

"Although Shola and Michael are the two longest-term absentees up there on my office wall, and I have a `J' (for June/July) and an `A' (for April) against their names (respectively), I could probably take the `J' away from Shola and put an `A' in there myself," said Roeder.

"But I'm not predicting anything. It's an educated guess that both players will more than likely be very close come the last few games of the season but we can only guess. You can't put an absolute date on it because if they don't make it, people will think they have had a setback.

"With the way Shola is feeling right now, where the target was June or July, maybe we should be changing that back to an `M' for May. We have had great news on him. I was so supportive of him when he was getting criticised beause people didn't know that he was putting his career on the line.

"He was playing when other players would have said `Take me off'. I appreciated that and that's why I said `Enough is enough for you, Shola, you cannot do it any more, you have to go to America for surgery'. Now we have someone who is walking around the place again. He said to me last week `I had forgotten what a good hip should feel like, I had forgotten what it's like to have a proper hip'.

"He has been back to Colorado and Dr Philippon is delighted with the way the operation went and with the progress Shola has made since then."

I have a weird mental image of Glenn Roeder, Freddy Shepherd and the academy boys running with Big Bird around St. James' Park while The Jackson 5 sing 'ABC' from the touchlines.

It will be said, so might as well get it out of the way.

"Horrible news, Shola should never ever play for us again" x1000

"Pointless news, Owen will be useless coming back from injury anyway." x1000

Three cheers for the optimism of the Toon Army O0

Very good news!!

Our choice of strikers then Owen, Martins, Dyer, Ameobi, Le sib we also have Duff and Milner who can play up  there too if needs be.

We just need a LB desperately now and a CB if a really good one is actually available.

Pav

Krul

Harper

Given

Car?        Moore                                    Bernard

Edgar    Ramage Bramble ?                  Baba

Nobby   Taylor   NewCB/Hunty/ Edgar  New LB

Troisi              Pattison?      Zoggy     O'brien

Milner/Dyer    Parker/Butt   Emre      Duff/Zoggy

Shola             Le Sib

Dyer               Martins

Owen

Good squad if we get at least one really top quality LB!

Very good news!!

Our choice of strikers then Owen, Martins, Dyer, Ameobi, Le sib we also have Duff and Milner who can play up  there too if needs be.

We just need a LB desperately now and a CB if a really good one is actually available.

Pav

Krul

Harper

Given

Shola            Le Sib

Dyer              Martins

Owen

so 2 decent strikers. Thats brilliant.

If we are relying on Ameobi in the first team, we are totally fucked.

If Roeder seriously thinks Ameobiis good enough, he's a bigger fool than i thought.

Very good news!!

Pav

Krul

Harper

Given

Shola             Le Sib

Dyer               Martins

Owen

so 2 decent strikers. Thats brilliant.

If we are relying on Ameobi in the first team, we are totally fucked.

If Roeder seriously thinks Ameobiis good enough, he's a bigger fool than i thought.

He's scored a goal everyother game under roeder, plus he's apparently been struggling with injury in many of those games too. He's had some shockers yes, but under Glenn has looked a hell of alot better and had some really good games, so i'd keep him.

I'm not saying he's my first choice pairing (Martins Owen/Dyer are) but he's at least usefull to have as a back up 4th or 5th choice striker! i.e. if disaster strikes and Martins, Owen, Dyer are injured, then play him or Le sib up top with Duff or Milner. 

Guest Knightrider

Good news, good squad player.

Concur wholeheartedly, he isn't as bad as made out, just not 'A' grade. Ideal sub.

Exactly, and to be fair he has improved under Roeder and chipped in with goals.

Guest Sniffer

He wants to play for us because he's at least smart enough to know that no other team in the premier league would want him.

leave off shola you fannypack ???

People will, as soon as he's fucked off to a club he should be playing at - i.e. a Championship one.

People will, as soon as he's fucked off to a club he should be playing at - i.e. a Championship one.

Straight swap for Chopra!  O0

Straight swap for Chopra!  O0

Good call. Replacing big tall shite, with little tiny shite.