Info/Help on Forums

Disco

Alreet lads n lasses wondered if any1 could help me out, got to do a report for a uni assignment bout Interactive media and how we can improve a website, so im suggesting adding forums to the Teamtalk homepage as currently it has none and was wondering of those who run this forum where i would find out about costs, moderation, and other aspects of adding a forum to a website. This would be great to help to me guys!

Cheers, Hoon

Why not just use www.forumforfree.com. you get a phpbb for nowt and you can link to it off your main site.

Bit of a cheat but at least you can get used to css stylesheet and php without having to shell out cash

Forums you can get for free (phpbb, SMF (the one we use, it's 10 times better than phpbb), site mods are to the discretion of the people who make the board, there needs to be set rules in place for them to follow but then common sense of course follows on from that (people don't seem to understand that on this board sometimes) the boards are very simple to implement for someone with even very limited php knowledge the hard part comes with making it look the way you want it which can take time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Alreet lads n lasses wondered if any1 could help me out, got to do a report for a uni assignment bout Interactive media and how we can improve a website, so im suggesting adding forums to the Teamtalk homepage as currently it has none and was wondering of those who run this forum where i would find out about costs, moderation, and other aspects of adding a forum to a website. This would be great to help to me guys!

Cheers, Hoon

Teamtalk were planning on installing forums, but decided to go with a moderated comments form instead which allows fans to send in e-mails basically, and they get published if they don't break house rules such as racism, hoolie talk, or any libelous comments. They went with that because it's easy to moderate as it's not live and the costs of running forums for every team was prohibitive.

As someone who works in this area of website development, i.e. strategic planning, Teamtalk made a good decision to not go with interactive, forums like this one.

To set up sitewide forums like this one for every team they cover would require at least 3 mods per each forum, espcially for clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Celtic et al. Would eat up a lot of server resources and would take people away from their main content, and ads as people would spend more times in the forum than on the actual site.

The BBC with all their resources, are considering closing down their 606 online forums as it's become somewhat an albotross around their kneck. More and more mods required, more and more server resources and I suspect areas of their network have saw a decrease in usuage due to the forums.

I would suggest you look at others areas in which you could improve Team Talk, as if you do your research right, you'll realise interactive forums would be a bad thing for Team Talk who are a commercial enterprise and need as many people as possible to click through their pages as a large percentage of their revenue comes from ad clicks and impressions, if areas of their site see less traffic due to people spending all day in the forums, their rates will go down and so will the calibre of their clients. In a  competitive industry such as theirs where the competition is immense, a small change could be fatal to operations.

Hope that helps and good luck with your report, ask away if you have any other questions as well.