USB 2.0 help (please please helpppppppppppppp)

Skirge

AH lads I am about to take a fkn hammer to this bastard multimedia box I have bought.

one of these..

http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/Itemdesc.html?ic=HDDMEDPLR&eq=&Tp=

Its a USB 2.0 Multimedia HD player, its a little box connects to the pc via USB and you fit a Hard Drive into it, I bought an 80 gig maxtor for it.

Your meant to put video/music/photos  onto it then connect it to your TV via VGA or composite, has stereo audio out too, comes with a litte remote.

Now came home put it together hooked it up and it would not allow me to format the drive, windows woudl not initilize it. Took it to the shop today they formated it into NTFS, came home hooekd it up, it worked so I added a few video files.

Now the pc is to far from TV for the supplied USB lead so I bought a 5m extension.

All chuffed and ready to go but I tried for hours to get a signal to the TV and would it fk work, I eventualy worked out for some reason I cannot have the USB lead plugged in when I want to watch files I have to unplug it.

Great I thought at last, only now its telling me no media on disc. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Would you fkn beleive it the HD has to be formated into fat32 and not NTFS, sooo I hook it back to USB so i can format it but the fkn thing will not work, tells me device not reconized.

Tried other USB ports getting same message, removed the extension lead and hooked to PC via the shorter cable it came with, get this same fkn error.

(see below)

http://www.skirge.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/error.JPG

Yeah mate it does and I have fixed the problem with a simple USB lead swap, swapped the one from my modem over the the media centre, and the one form the emdiacentre to my modem.

Modem works as the the drive now. :D

BUT

I now need to format the drive to fat32 from NTFS, how the fk can I do that ?

Gonna try Partition magic.

Yeah mate it does and I have fixed the problem with a simple USB lead swap, swapped the one from my modem over the the media centre, and the one form the emdiacentre to my modem.

Modem works as the the drive now. :D

BUT

I now need to format the drive to fat32 from NTFS, how the fk can I do that ?

Gonna try Partition magic.

I take it this HD inside the thing is a normal HD that can be plugged into a computer?

If so why dont you run in as a slave (2nd HD) directly in your machine, go into dos, and format D:\ (or whatever the letter its given?)

Would that not work?

Start>run>Cmd

Type convert c: /fs:ntfs

You probably sussed it by now but typing help convert into the command window shows you these options as well:

Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume      Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),

mount point, or volume name.

/FS:NTFS    Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.

/V          Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.

/CvtArea:filename

Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be

the place holder for NTFS system files.

/NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security

settings to be accessible by everyone.

/X          Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.

All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

My head is done in, I give up!

Formated it to fat32 put files ona nd still nothing.

I get the screen up on the tv, cna go into setup the lot but I get a message saying

NO MEDIA DETECTED

Don't know if that means files or the actual drive , the manual on the cd is utter shite, but does show a screen where you have to select the drive, I have not found it, so dunno. Back to the fkn shop with it I will stick to using a VGA cale straight out from the DVI on my graphics card.