Will Oguchi Gooch Onyewu be a hit?

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Oguchi Gooch Onyewu be a hit? Post your prediction.

Personally I think he will. If he is not an instant hit then he would be a semi instant hit like Martins.

However for the French striker, I have absolutely no confidence.

I've never seen him play so i've no idea. He certainly has the stature and physique.

However, if he wants a permanent move he's got to do well pretty quickly; he's got a maximum of just 13 games in which to impress.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Dont think he is something special, but I think he will be a hit, because he, except of Taylor, is much better than what we have god already!

I think it will depend on how he reacts when he makes a few mistakes and the crowd get on his back. From what Roeder has been saying it sounds like he has the right attitude, but it is easy to lose confidance when your playing in the newcastle back line.

Guest Moe-Ali

Well, ive probly seen the most of him out of all of us, and i definately think he will be a hit here.

Dont want to say too much, and set too big a scene for the young man, but yes i think he will do very well. ;)

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Well, ive probly seen the most of him out of all of us, and i definately think he will be a hit here.

Dont want to say too much, and set too big a scene for the young man, but yes i think he will do very well. ;)

Can you mention a few positive aspects and some negative aspects of his game please, since you probably is the one who knows most about him ;)

Im just curious since I know almost nothing about him!

total agreement there, i'm from the US of A and have seen him play loads of time. excluding the world cup and mexico city's azteca he hasn't been in many pressure cookers like St. James but the kid has loads of confidence and WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE here. in time he will also be a great leader from the back.

the only knock i have on him is that because of his physical stature he gets whistled for a lotta fouls. some of them are good calls others are just based on a ref seeing his imposing size an assuming fouls. that's an area he'll have to imporve on here, because free kicks are too valuable in this league

don't everyone have a laugh all at once but GOOCH is evidence of america's improvement in "soccer"  ^-^

I've got a good feeling about the lad. If anything a big improvement on what we have here. Plus he made Marseille build their hopes (à la Duff/Spurs) so already a legend :lol:

Looking forward to seeing him in action.

Guest SmileyCulture

<Snip. Please don't hotlink directly from .co.uk. Admin<Snip>

With comedy hands like that, how could he not be a hit? (they're huge, like twice the size of his head!)

Guest Moe-Ali

Can you mention a few positive aspects and some negative aspects of his game please, since you probably is the one who knows most about him ;)

Im just curious since I know almost nothing about him!

Some of the positive aspect of gooch's game is well obviously his size, his awareness, communication, he is a cool head, has a very long throw in (J.J okocha-esque) he is very smart, and if youve ever seen him talk or read an interview, you will know he has a good personality.

Guest Moe-Ali

Wow, i also just realised he looks just like my favourite hockey player, Jarome Iginla, they are both also of Nigerian descent.

http://z.about.com/f/wiki/e/en/b/b0/IginlaJarome.jpg

Guest Moe-Ali

With comedy hands like that, how could he not be a hit? (they're huge, like twice the size of his head!)

They are pretty bigg, but to be fair, they are closer to the camera, which makes them look even larger.

The gooch will not achieve expectations. He is a good player but not a leader nor is he that great at anticipating attacks, but uinlike Carr he is fast and a massiev physical presense and will make up for most of his shortcomings with hard work. Unlike others this will be a huge step up for him and he knows it - he understands that he is lucky to be here and will try to make it work.

Guest SmileyCulture

They are pretty bigg, but to be fair, they are closer to the camera, which makes them look even larger.

If he doesn't make it as a defender i'd put him up for reserve keeper any day :p

The gooch will not achieve expectations. He is a good player but not a leader nor is he that great at anticipating attacks, but uinlike Carr he is fast and a massiev physical presense and will make up for most of his shortcomings with hard work. Unlike others this will be a huge step up for him and he knows it - he understands that he is lucky to be here and will try to make it work.

Started reading that, and all I could think of was that it sounds like a direct quote from the gooch himself in an interview.... referring to himself in the 3rd person and all :lol:

Well first of all i dont know if this is true but the clubs that have been mentioned who are interested in him are pretty high class clubs:Chelsea,Inter,Marseille...so that means that he is something special

Personally i hope that he will be class here and considering what kind of defenders we have in the squad i think that this is a big improvement :thup:

Honest? :lol:

BTW, hotlinking images from .cock is naughty.

It sounds like a sensible buy in our circumstances - we aren't able to buy players, so we've brought in an ambitious young centre back with potential. He'll be stepping up a grade, but this is something that he's achieved before so he may do so again. It sounds like a gamble, but one worth taking.

It's a little worrying that his positional play is a bit suspect, because in our league a centre back only has to be slightly out of position or slow to react and the consequences are dire. On the other hand, he shouldn't have a problem winning challenges.

The Premiership is a very different environment, so I hope that if he makes a few slip-ups to start off with, the crowd doesn't get on his back.

Put it this way, i'll be amazed if he's no better than what we have already. In that regard, we can't lose.

Agreed.

Never seen him play only bits and pieces, but he comes across like someone serious about his football.

We shall see but I do trhink he could be a massive hit BUT alot depends on us lot and how we react to him, lets say in his first start he makes a mistake and costs us a goal, if he gets crucified by the crowd for it then we may see him just fall apaert. It go's on way to much and like any other player he will need time to settle in the team, league and City.

We shall see but I do trhink he could be a massive hit BUT alot depends on us lot and how we react to him, lets say in his first start he makes a mistake and costs us a goal, if he gets crucified by the crowd for it then we may see him just fall apaert. It go's on way to much and like any other player he will need time to settle in the team, league and City.

Agreed.

Encouraging to see the vote is so much in his favour, he could be the sort of player the majority of fans warm to (big, physical, committed). Although he hasn't got many games to prove himself, I think he will do enough to earn a permanent deal. Would be excellent to get our centre backs sorted now so we can spend the summer bringing in fullbacks to complete the picture.