Pearson Teams Up With Pearce for England U21s

Nobby

NEWCASTLE United First Team Coach Nigel Pearson is to assist Stuart Pearce with England U21s for the friendly match against Spain next week and for the UEFA U21 Championships this summer, the FA has confirmed.

Arrangements for a friendly fixture in March are to be finalised, but it has been agreed that former Toon defender Pearce will not be involved for this game.

The FA's director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking said: "We are very grateful to Manchester City and Newcastle United for their help and support.

"We are delighted that Stuart and Nigel have agreed to coach the U21s.

"We're very pleased Stuart will take the team against Spain so that he can get to know the players. However, we also realise that as manager of Manchester City he must then give his full focus to the club until the end of the season.

"Stuart has huge international experience as a player and has already shown at Manchester City that he is a talented young manager.

"He has completed all his coaching courses with The FA right through to the UEFA Pro Licence as has Nigel Pearson. Nigel also has the invaluable experience of having worked with and managing our England youth teams before."

"I would like to pay tribute to Peter Taylor for his fantastic work with the U21s over the last couple of seasons. He has done a superb job culminating in qualifying for the European Championships. Peter has made it clear that due to his club commitments at Crystal Palace he is unable to continue in his role with the U21s.

"I also want to thank Sammy Lee for stepping in to take the team for the friendly in Holland in November. Sammy has club commitments with Bolton and made it clear at the time of the Holland match that he was filling the position on a one-off basis. We wish both Peter and Sammy all the best for the future.

"Peter's decision does give us a great opportunity to bring in Stuart and Nigel to work on a major international tournament. It will be a fantastic experience for them in their development as coaches and I'm confident that they will be a very strong management team to bring the best out of the talented young players we will be taking to Holland in June.

Stuart Pearce said: "It is a fantastic honour for me. I was planning to attend the June tournament for scouting purposes and now I will have an opportunity of getting more out of the competition by working with the best youngsters in this country and pitting my wits against coaches from different nations."

Pearce earned 78 caps for England between 1987 and 1999. He had a short spell as caretaker manager at Nottingham Forest in the 1996-97 season. Pearce joined the coaching staff at Manchester City in 2002 becoming caretaker manager in March 2005. He was formally appointed as manager in May 2005.

Pearce's first game with the U21s will be a friendly against Spain at Derby County's Pride Park on Tuesday 6 February. Pearce will not coach any further friendly fixtures during the club season but will take charge of the squad for the eight-team European U21 Championship which will be held in Holland from 10 June to 23 June.

Nigel Pearson is assistant manager at Newcastle United. Nigel was a full-time member of the national coaching set-up at The FA from 2002 to 2004 after a period working as a part-time coach.

During this period he was involved with every England youth team from the U16s to the U20s. Pearson has also managed Carlisle United and, prior to joining Newcastle, was assistant manager to Bryan Robson at West Bromwich Albion.

Pearson sounds like a real gem.

I'm glad for him and us. Its got to be a good thing.

Also if Pearce is only going to take control of qualifiers then Pearson will be taken the friendlies by himself, which again is good news.

GR wants to watch his back  O0

"Stuart has huge international experience as a player and has already shown at Manchester City that he is a talented young manager.

Eh? :idiot2:

Don't know how you all feel about losing an important member of the coaching staff in the week leading up to a very tough fixture, but I'm not happy about this at all. I mean, you've just got a new defender involved and your main defensive coach (?) is going to be missing training sessions where he should be getting  the new unit ticking? And we're going to be left with Steve Wigley ( :uglystupid2:) to get us into shape for Pompey away. Pearce putting an England U21 friendly ahead of City, he can fuck off and take the job full time for me.

Eh? :idiot2:

Don't know how you all feel about losing an important member of the coaching staff in the week leading up to a very tough fixture, but I'm not happy about this at all. I mean, you've just got a new defender involved and your main defensive coach (?) is going to be missing training sessions where he should be getting  the new unit ticking? And we're going to be left with Steve Wigley ( :uglystupid2:) to get us into shape for Pompey away. Pearce putting an England U21 friendly ahead of City, he can fuck off and take the job full time for me.

I'd be annoyed if my manager was taken on this job, considering City are not in the best of positions currently.

Pearce should concentrate on his club duties, which for me he's been struggling with for about a year now.

But our assistant can go missing for a few days, it shouldn't harm us too much. We'll be in a nice set routine now, and any info or knowledge he has in terms of coaching will be known and passed on down or sideways, but a manager needs to be there all the time.

I'd be annoyed if my manager was taken on this job, considering City are not in the best of positions currently.

Pearce should concentrate on his club duties, which for me he's been struggling with for about a year now.

Its worse than that mate. Obviously what you've said his true, but whats more - the board clearly didn't want him to do the job, the fans didn't want to take the job (I certainly didn't, and a poll on the Manchester Evening News website said 80% agreed). But he's accepted the job anyway - he's even tried to engineer it with his comments after the game at the weekend which the club had to come out and deny.

Its totally disrepectful.  >:(

And as for the supposed "benefits" of him taking the job - They're all pointless. Gives him a chance to work with the best young players in the country with one eye on signing them - Whoopee? They're all out of our price range anyway - I doubt you could buy any England U21 player for less than £5m. Gives him a chance to scout the opponents in the summer tournament...he could do that from the stand. He could do a better job of it if he wasn't involved in the coaching setup - he won't be able to see games between other sides if he's looking after England (Not sure what time of day the games will be played at). All the while he's away from City not signing anyone.

Pearce Out  >:(

Guest Knightrider

Could be a good thing for us, he'll learn a few things, pick up some experience and will be coaching some good youngsters and be up to date with the talent coming through, enough to pass comment or advise regarding our own scouting. Good luck to the man, and this is positive news given the harping on over the standard of coaches at the club. He's only young Pearson and this can only do him good.

Its worse than that mate. Obviously what you've said his true, but whats more - the board clearly didn't want him to do the job, the fans didn't want to take the job (I certainly didn't, and a poll on the Manchester Evening News website said 80% agreed). But he's accepted the job anyway - he's even tried to engineer it with his comments after the game at the weekend which the club had to come out and deny.

Its totally disrepectful.  >:(

And as for the supposed "benefits" of him taking the job - They're all pointless. Gives him a chance to work with the best young players in the country with one eye on signing them - Whoopee? They're all out of our price range anyway - I doubt you could buy any England U21 player for less than £5m. Gives him a chance to scout the opponents in the summer tournament...he could do that from the stand. He could do a better job of it if he wasn't involved in the coaching setup - he won't be able to see games between other sides if he's looking after England (Not sure what time of day the games will be played at). All the while he's away from City not signing anyone.

Pearce Out  >:(

I feel for you, but look at the silver lining, Pearce has just put his job in the balance. The fans are not happy, which is now a huge burden to carry, and the board are not happy he's taken this job. Pearce has just given the City board a cast iron excuse to sack him whenever they see fit, and the fans wont kick up too much of a fuss.

You wish could come true if you dont get a decent league finish this season.