Owen - Next season maybe?

Tisd09

Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen has revealed that he might not play at all this season.

Reports had suggested the 27-year-old was set for a comeback in April having been sidelined with a cruciate knee ligament injury since last summer.

But the striker told BBC Sport: "My plan has always been to return when the knee feels right.

"I feel great and have not had any setbacks. Hopefully I can return this season, but it could be next season."

Owen, who picked up his injury playing for England at the 2006 World Cup, said he was ready to step up his rehabilitation.

"The plan is to run next week, although I reckon I could have jogged about two to three weeks ago - but I won't rush things," added the England international.

Newcastle have been fantastic from the moment I picked up my injury

Michael Owen

Owen also paid tribute to Newcastle for helping him during a "low point" in his career.

"They've been fantastic right from the moment when I picked up my injury," said Owen, speaking at an Umbro-Michelin boot launch in London.

"They paid for the best and most expensive treatment by sending me to Colorado where I underwent two operations carried out by Dr Richard Steadman, who is a fantastic chap.

606 DEBATE: Your reaction to this news

"I now have one-to-one physio every day with the guy who worked with team-mate Kieron Dyer when he was injured.

"I definitely benefit from the one-to-one stuff because it's good to have someone staring at you, pushing you through the pain barrier."

He added: "It's been a frustrating time but I'm a level headed type of person. I've had a good career so far.

"There have been a lot of ups and a lot of downs but that's the life of a professional footballer. I'm at a low point now because I can't do what I want to do."

Owen also sent his sympathies to England team-mate Ashley Cole, who suffered knee ligament damage while playing for Chelsea against Blackburn on Wednesday.

"When you mess with knees it's a nasty situation," he said.

"Not many knee injuries are a week or two. I can only wish him the best and I'll be in touch with him if it's a criuciate."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6322797.stm

I'd rather him back when he is fully fit, I think its very important to get a full pre-season behind him.

I think he's been saying pretty much the same thing all along hasn't he?

Owen says: "Hopefully I might be back this season, but it could be next..."

Headline version 1: "Owen Targets Early Return"

Headline version 2: "Owen 'Might Not Play This Season' "

The press eh?  :knuppel2:

Guest johnson293

With the injury he has, I think he'd be foolish to start setting comeback dates - which if he then misses them, it's seen as a setback.

If he says he may not play till next season, then comes back to play before the end of this one, its seen as a massive bonus.

Like said above, I have almost forgotten about Owen being a Newcastle player - then when he does return, it'll be "like having a new signing".....again!        (sorry - sounded like Freddy Shepherd then!!  :-[ )

MJ

Where do we think he'll be playing next season? I've a feeling we'll only see him at SJP once........

I can't see him leaving after playing so little for us, he seems like an honest guy who would want to earn his wages and repay our faith in him.

Also, we will have quite an exciting attacking team with everyone available again, I bet he's looking forward to playing with Martins.

Where do we think he'll be playing next season? I've a feeling we'll only see him at SJP once........

I can't see him leaving after playing so little for us, he seems like an honest guy who would want to earn his wages and repay our faith in him.

Also, we will have quite an exciting attacking team with everyone available again, I bet he's looking forward to playing with Martins.

Yeah, he's a little trooper alright. He won't want to leave a club he has no inherent feelings for.

Yeah, he's a little trooper alright. He won't want to leave a club he has no inherent feelings for.

I'm not saying he loves us or anything, but I think he has professional integrity to a certain extent (not that I know him personally, just going on the impression I get). You don't have to have been delivered on the Gallowgate to be committed to the club.

Stop being so cynical man...  :)

At the very least, some lingering sense of debt to the club that paid to rebuild his knee from scratch should make him play ONE full season here...

Its as plain as the nose on your face that Owen's heart is not with the club.

Can you remember signing him when he managed to play a full game for England yet was strangely injured for his first game for us?

He also bottled a few games for us at the back end of last season because he was focussed on the World Cup.

And speaking of the World Cup does anyone else think that if it had of been held a month or 6 weeks earlier than it was Owen would still have been there fully ready to play for his beloved national side?

Face facts people - Owen was only signed to keep the chairman in his job for a few more years.

Guest johnson293

Can you remember signing him when he managed to play a full game for England yet was strangely injured for his first game for us?

His first game for us was against Fulham at home last season, and there were no england games just before this. It was in fact the first game he could have played for us.

I think the game you refer to, was after playing and scoring twice against Argentina in a friendly on 12 November, he then missed our visit to Chelsea a week later (19 Nov), through injury (groin strain).

However, he had played in 6 of the previous 9 of our fixtures before this.

(stats from NUFC.com)

Can't see that any of the games he's missed have been through injuries he could have avoided - and they have been serious (broken foot, Cruciate knee ligaments).

Admittedly, he may have been focused on the World Cup back end of last season, but which players wouldn't?

And its not as if he'd want to get a serious injury in the 2nd game of the tournament??!!!

MJ

He is cautious and does put his country first but I still don't buy all this crap about him not wanting to play for us as some make out. He left Real to get games to keep his chances of playing for England alive, why would the then decide not to play?