This season

Guest Alan Shearer 9
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We did well to get 7th at the end of last season, and imo I think we could be headed for 7th again this season. Given our problems with major injuries and the mess Souness left us in, I think 7th would be a success, or at least acceptable. I think our squad is slowly getting stronger and we have the core of a good team in there. If Roeder can improve the squad again over the summer then next season we could realistically break into the top 6 again which would be great imo, but what is your opinion?

We did well to get 7th at the end of last season, and imo I think we could be headed for 7th again this season. Given our problems with major injuries and the mess Souness left us in, I think 7th would be a success, or at least acceptable. I think our squad is slowly getting stronger and we have the core of a good team in there. If Roeder can improve the squad again over the summer then next season we could realistically break into the top 6 again which would be great imo, but what is your opinion?

Agreed. Major doubts remain over Roeder's transfer window dealings for me though.

I won't view the season as a failure, the reason mainly being the crippling injury list.

We should give Roeder the summer to make some changes, and then next season to really judge his progress. I can't see the injury situation repeating (fingers crossed), so with a mostly-fit squad I can see us pushing on for a higher position next season.

Fullbacks and a striker must be added in the summer though.

The start was unforgivable.

The games of Charlton, Bolton, Fulham & Sheff Utd at home were disgraceful and tbh GR has just about evened that out by fluking some results this month.

Injuries have been a joke, and he'll be given leeway because of that, and to finish top half is probably good enough for me now. Start of the season i wanted top 6, but if we dont i wont be jumping on him and calling this season a failure come May, its been a failure since the start so i'm ok with it now.

FS reckons because we haven't spent this window we have more money in the summer, and hopefully we have our summer budget and that extra £20m on top of that.

We couild see a total summer re-build, and i would trust GR to get the right players in, i just feel he'll lose a lot as he doesn't command any respect in the game.

i hate when people mention the charlton game as being a disaster, because it really wasn't.  It was one of the games i was able to watch the year, and we played with duff and rossi up top, and had duff been able to put away just one of about five chances, we would have won.  We pretty much dominated that game, but just couldn't finish. 

After Owen went down injured in Germany, I was pretty sure our season would be mid-table at best. It's great to see us still within striking distance of Europe, and hopefully we can keep our good luck going at least a little while longer, but this season was always going to be mainly a chance to stop the downward slide and start rebuilding. I think we've done well on that count, making a few good signings (yes, I count Duff - keeping the faith that he'll find his old form again) and we have a solid core up front. I could see us challenging for top six with a few more signings, a little help and a lot better start to the season. Makes me cringe, thinking where we'd be now if we'd held our leads against Fulham & Bolton, and beaten Boro & SheffU...

I would be very happy with 7th. It's a respectable position in the table and with a chance of european football it will have an impact on who we can sign in the summer. Would Martins have joined us if we weren't in europe? I doubt it.

lol i just can't believe Glenn Roeder is our manager, lasted a year here ffs.  I mean when he relegated West Ham at the time i was convinced he must of been one of the worst managers in PL era, relegated with that team! mackems.gif  Now he is manager much bigger club about to handle - if murmurings from St James are correct - a big transfer budget in Summer.  Since unfortuante personal events he has got very, very lucky to say the least.

The games of Charlton, Bolton, Fulham & Sheff Utd at home were disgraceful and tbh GR has just about evened that out by fluking some results this month.

Injuries have been a joke, and he'll be given leeway because of that, and to finish top half is probably good enough for me now. Start of the season i wanted top 6, but if we dont i wont be jumping on him and calling this season a failure come May, its been a failure since the start so i'm ok with it now.

FS reckons because we haven't spent this window we have more money in the summer, and hopefully we have our summer budget and that extra £20m on top of that.

We couild see a total summer re-build, and i would trust GR to get the right players in, i just feel he'll lose a lot as he doesn't command any respect in the game.

See bold.

I'm not sure he's the right man, but why do you say that?

I voted no but I would settle for 7th as it would qualify us for Europe.

It maybe harsh give our injury situation but we have spent alot on our squad compared to other teams and IMO we could have started the season with a bigger squad.

Failure for me.

Granted if we get to 7th we have done especially well, if we get any further than we have in the past in the UEFA on top of that you could call it a success.

But we started out as getting 5th or upwards. The injury situation doesnt come into it, its still a failure. Its just not one I will be particularly bothered about. Bit like playing really well but losing.

See bold.

I'm not sure he's the right man, but why you say that?

Ok, no respect is hard, but who is he? (the question must be asked by footballers who are being courted by us and other clubs)

Who is this man with no qualifications, no successful experience as a manager who's with a team thats struggling and has been for 2-3 years. Who was he as a player, I'd heard of the Souness bloke, amazing player, maybe something will rub off, but now he's gone, and the academy man is in charge.

Is he going to help my career blossom, or stall it? My agent reckons Wenger is interested, and there's talk of Tottenham, ok, shite as this club but i get to live in London.

What can this man offer me?

/\/\ What i think footballers must think of him, especially abroad.

lol i just can't believe Glenn Roeder is our manager, lasted a year here ffs.  I mean when he relegated West Ham at the time i was convinced he must of been one of the worst managers in PL era, relegated with that team! mackems.gif  Now he is manager much bigger club about to handle - if murmurings from St James are correct - a big transfer budget in Summer.  Since unfortuante personal events he has got very, very lucky to say the least.

It's not just luck though is it?

If he takes the criticism for his failures we've got to give him credit for his acheivements.

I think he has done well, he has always handled himself properly. He has alot of bad points but he continues to do more good than bad at this club, even if we are stepping forward very slowly. Barring a billionaire take over I dont think we will get anyone better.

He is still relatively inexperienced in the managerial game and learning and looking to improve all the time.

Biggest dissapointments are his substitutions and questionable tactical noose. But he is learning all the time. Consistency is the key to any sucess. I just worry he hasnt got the experience around him to turn to when he needs it.

A Director of Football would improve us no end. Roeder is clearly not happy juggling both.

I'll view it as a failure if we don't finish in the top half, as it all roots back to the summer transfer window. We had a fantastic building block by finishing second, but we did nowt to enhance the strength of the squad, we just weakened it. We were effectively 'doomed' from that point on.

Having finished 7th last season with that squad, we should have built on that and pushed on, but effectively we've fallen behind. HOWEVER...

It's by no means over yet... We've got Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea all to play - all at home. Those are the only games we have against the big three. It's doubtful, but we can certainly make the Top 6.

January saw a similar situation to the 'finish 7th-build on squad' failure. We were 11th, and could have built on that and have a greater chance of finishing in the Top 6. But we blew it, again.

I have faith though.

Ok, no respect is hard, but who is he? (the question must be asked by footballers who are being courted by us and other clubs)

Who is this man with no qualifications, no successful experience as a manager who's with a team thats struggling and has been for 2-3 years. Who was he as a player, I'd heard of the Souness bloke, amazing player, maybe something will rub off, but now he's gone, and the academy man is in charge.

Is he going to help my career blossom, or stall it? My agent reckons Wenger is interested, and there's talk of Tottenham, ok, shite as this club but i get to live in London.

What can this man offer me?

Surely they've heard of the Shuffle?

Guest SmileyCulture

I think Roeder has done a fairly good job, not enough players coming in, in jan but there are a few good reasons for that (FS). I'll view 7th as a success but i'd love to see us in 6th, most of our injury problems stem out of the huge amount of extra matches we've had to play this season compared to other teams due to the intertoto cup.

Roeder may not seem like he's the right man in the long term at the moment but if he lasts another year at the club and we improve, i can't see anyone else having a chance at the managers job - we need to give him these atleast 2 years to build and shape his squad, all in all i feel we've done fairly well for ourselves despite dropping alot of points at the start of the season and the horrible injury problems.

Guest nyscooby

Forget OO, we have bought no one, not one single repectable player this term.

That to me shows where we are and what the management think...

Most of the players dont perform, more reputation than skill and i think for the forseeable future there will not be any "glory days"

GR is awfull, no other word for it, bring back BR or KK .................................................. 

Also, introduce wage caps to the Eufa leagues and video ref-ing.

Get shot of parker. Satistics dont lie.

i disagree with people who say that roeder can't attract top players.  He

Forget OO, we have bought no one, not one single repectable player this term.

what about obafemi martins? Definetly a 'respectable player'

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What can this man offer me? [/i]

like Obafemi Martins

Voted Yes.

Outside the top four, there is nothing but mediocrity.

Finishing any thing below fifth is a disgrace.

Felt that Roeder was and is moving in the right direction-- bringing in Oba and Duff brought us something well desperately lacked, speed. (I am confident that Duff will prove his worth-- this season).

6th is definitely achievable. 

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Voted Yes.

Outside the top four, there is nothing but mediocrity.

Finishing any thing below fifth is a disgrace.

Felt that Roeder was and is moving in the right direction-- bringing in Oba and Duff brought us something well desperately lacked, speed. (I am confident that Duff will prove his worth-- this season).

6th is definitely achievable. 

:lol: