Saving up for the summer i like the idea of this very much (official statement)

Guest nufc 4 life

Sounds like you all want Roeder to go out and shoot his wad on a couple of players on a stop-gap basis and hope that they work out.

Then if the transfers are not run away sucesses, then you blame the manager for doing exactly what you asked for.

FFS, we'd all like to have back the 9M for Luque and the 9M for Boumsong, and have it to spend elsewhere. Well who is to say that Roeder didn't back away from a couple of marginal transfers that he felt were too risky. i.e. he never pulled the trigger on a Luque or Boumsong deal.

When you are 80M in debt, or whatever we are, and your predecessor spend 50M on some dross then you have to be carefull. First you can't flash the cash because you don't have it, and the little you do needs to be well spent.

No, we understand hesitancy. We understand not spending money for the sake of it.

What we have difficulty understanding is that two transfer windows have past, we have had the money available, and yet have still failed to attract the signings we require (a sodding left back for starters). Why are we unable to attract these people? Are we not attractive to lower division players, does our club not excite when compared to the likes of Monaco. Why not?

Why can we not even be in a position to recruit a myriad of promising youngsters like Liverpool? I was led to believe this would have been Roeders forte?

The problem is that, no matter how much money the chairman provides, and no matter how well Roeder does for you this season, at the end of the day, a lot of players are going to look at the general package of moving to you, think "I'll have a bit of that", then think about whether Roeder is the sort of manager they can learn something from playing for, and decide they actually don't fancy that at all.

Which is why, perversely, a shite to bad season is going to be better for you than a half decent one (which you seem to be stumbling towards), as the latter enables him to hang around for longer.

The problem is that, no matter how much money the chairman provides, and no matter how well Roeder does for you this season, at the end of the day, a lot of players are going to look at the general package of moving to you, think "I'll have a bit of that", then think about whether Roeder is the sort of manager they can learn something from playing for, and decide they actually don't fancy that at all.

Which is why, perversely, a shite to bad season is going to be better for you than a half decent one (which you seem to be stumbling towards), as the latter enables him to hang around for longer.

strangely though roeder has a very good standing in the game in this country.fair enough he may not be able to persuade a youngster from argentina,but other facets of the club may do,yes we'll be behind the top4 but the clubs profile is still"just" behind those 4.

i don't think that's true at all tbh, especially as roeder is quite well known as someone who can bring on a young player's game. if anything that is one of his only strengths when it comes to persuading players to join. i'd say his total lack of charisma is more of a stumbling block, as is the aura of powerlessness he gives off. after all, souness is almost the opposite, not a renowned coach or someone who employs modern training methods etc, but a big name, a powerful guy with lots of charisma and a strong personality, he had no trouble getting players like owen or luque to sign.

apparently david moyes has a similar problem when convincing players to come, he's too much of a tense introvert to really a sell a club to anyone.

ultimately the size & standing of the club along with the financial package on offer will be more important than these aspects anyway.

and while i broadly agree with roeder's policy of saving the big bucks for players he REALLY wants, rather than those he is not certain about, i think there's also a middle-ground to be had. spending £2-3m keeps most the money safe for summer spending, but is still enough to bring in some short-term signings to bolster the squad. i'm thinking of the likes of sorin, trabelsi and campbell, who moved in the summer, though admittedly it is a lot harder to pull off these types of signings in january.

Can't help but feel we are going to have a summer of the same with the same old tired excuses about how hard it is to attract players etc etc when clubs all around are somehow performing this miracle!

and while i broadly agree with roeder's policy of saving the big bucks for players he REALLY wants, rather than those he is not certain about, i think there's also a middle-ground to be had. spending £2-3m keeps most the money safe for summer spending, but is still enough to bring in some short-term signings to bolster the squad. i'm thinking of the likes of sorin, trabelsi and campbell, who moved in the summer, though admittedly it is a lot harder to pull off these types of signings in january.

Trabelsi and Sorin are both just 30. They would have sorted out our full back positions for years. Nothing short term about them.. Sol Campbell on current form looks good for another two-three seasons of service as well..

I like the cautious approach but it was shocking that he didn't even think about bringing a LB on loan. I don't care if it was for the short term we need a player there who can play naturally.

I am not going to say he is talking a load of shit because if what he saying is true or at least has some truth in it, then its encouraging but as a few has said actions speak louder than words.

Martins was an excellent buy and Duff although has had a bad start could turn out tops for us, if he does then the two major signings we made would have been a sucess.

I am 50/50 for the summer but I would like to see progress made early, he will have no excuses then. Clubs will be more willing to listen to offers in the summer there is no International tournement, and it is a longer window plus he has said he has targets in mind.

Great so FS has more money for his holidays while we all bite our nails & pull our hair out until the 29th August where we'll sign our 1st signing of the summer, on loan.

I just wish picking the lottery numbers was this easy to predict.

Guest nufc 4 life

no one has mentioned the fact that  as Roder says when he couldn't plan for the transfer window has he was beind told by FS to plan for the next game he didn't know he would still have the job, the january transfer window is always a hard time to get players in as their clubs are very unwilling to sell. This summer he will have has the 3 and a half months leading up to the window to plan.

However if we don't get some quality in the summer i will agree with the majority and say that Roeder is a useless twat who doesn't have the charisma to buy anyone. Until the summer transfer is come and go however i will have the utmost respect for Roeder and trust him fully.

People also seem to forget that Martins has been a huge success, Duff for 5m any manager would have, he never actually said he wouldn't sign 30+ year olds before he signed sibierski + he has scores 7 goals what a load of shite he is and Bernard was a  panic buy to try and cover LB that didnt work. All in all with the time he has leading up to summer i am confident he will bring in some young quality players i.e davies, ferdinand, babel e.t.c

Guest nufc 4 life

and look what he did for the club took us out of a relegation dog-fight and got us into europe, now he has had the worst injury crisis the EPL has ever seen and we are still only 5 points off 6th not enough credit given to GR TBH

no one has mentioned the fact that  as Roder says when he couldn't plan for the transfer window has he was beind told by FS to plan for the next game he didn't know he would still have the job, the january transfer window is always a hard time to get players in as their clubs are very unwilling to sell. This summer he will have has the 3 and a half months leading up to the window to plan.

However if we don't get some quality in the summer i will agree with the majority and say that Roeder is a useless twat who doesn't have the charisma to buy anyone. Until the summer transfer is come and go however i will have the utmost respect for Roeder and trust him fully.

People also seem to forget that Martins has been a huge success, Duff for 5m any manager would have, he never actually said he wouldn't sign 30+ year olds before he signed sibierski + he has scores 7 goals what a load of shite he is and Bernard was a  panic buy to try and cover LB that didnt work. All in all with the time he has leading up to summer i am confident he will bring in some young quality players i.e davies, ferdinand, babel e.t.c

Roeder not being made manager was no excuse for the summer transfer window, we were supposedly scouting Kuyt in April, if we could scout him then we could do the same with others.  Not having the job is a poor excuse when the Kuyt scouting was fed from within the club, at least that's the way I remember it.  On 18th April Roeder said "Our chief scout David Mills did not make it last night but he will probably go to De Kuip next Sunday to watch Kuyt and Feyenoord play Roosendaal."  That's 4 months before the end of the transfer window, the blokes a ditherer, he must also forget what he's previously said or he would take more care to avoid looking daft.

I don't know if his previous experience with the transfer window has made him over cautious, Repka for £5 million would be enough to make anybody think twice.  Roeder doesn't seem to have a very good record at other clubs when it comes to bringing players in, he paid £5 to the mackems for Don Hutchison, at least I think it was him, he also took Bowyer to West Ham, Bowyer was shite when he played for them although I think he probably played as many games for Roeder as Owen has here.

Edited to add the bit in blue