help please

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Newcastle-Online.com forum member ‘Alan Shearer 9′ writes in extolling the virtues of appointing a crayshee Dutchman going by the name of Guss Hiddink. The popular, highly successful and quite strange, PSV Eindhoven and Australia manager who, according to the man himself, would one day love a crack at managing a Premiership club.

In all the commotion surrounding Souness and our current plight, people have been calling for a foreign coach, someone with experience and class, and most people see Ottmar Hitzfeld as this person.

Well, the other night I saw Australia Vs Uruguay, and I saw one of the most inspiring pieces of management I have ever witnessed in football from one man; Gus Hiddink.

Australia were 1-0 down on aggregate against a team who boasted far superior players all over the pitch, both technically and physically. But the Socceroos started the game playing neat, organised one-touch football with a clear and intent direction.

I could have watched them play like that all night, it was that entertaining and yet efficient and they created many chances, with players like Mark Viduka looking hungry and motivated, a feat seldom seen on Teeside.

Their defence was solid too and they didn’t muck about either, Uruguay just never looked like scoring apart from one chance when the ball fell kindly to Recoba, but even then his shot went a yard or two wide.

Then, at around the 40 minute mark, Hiddink (who had been brooding calmly on the touchline up until this point) decided to introduce Harry Kewell, taking off one of his centre-halves to make way for the Liverpool man.

Within seconds, Australia scored a fantastic team goal, with Kewell heavily involved in the build up. The Aussies were ecstatic, and I was left awe-inspired as Hiddink calmly celebrated the goal with a slow motion Karate strike.

At half-time, Guus gave a calm speech telling his players to stay cool while his boys all encouraged each other, a sign of the great team spirit he has engineered, nurtured and maintained within the side despite numerous egos.

In the second half, Australia started off on the back-foot, grafting away, but not once did Uruguay look like scoring. The Aussie’s defence was incredibly solid and well organised, and it was compromised of footballers who if linked with NUFC, you would go into a rage (at least I know I would).

Hiddink had made tactical changes throughout and the Australians were now playing a counter-attacking style of football and had several good chances to increase their score, catching Uruguay on the break time and time again.

The 90 minutes passed in what felt more like 15 minutes due to the nature of the football being played. It was entertaining. I’ve never been so entertained by such, well to be frank, by such shite players.

Australia saw out the game comfortably, but as it was 1-1 on aggregate, extra-time beckoned. When the players came out for the first 15 minutes they were in a huddle in the middle of the pitch, with Hiddink at the centre. You very much get the impression when watching one of his side’s play, that the players and manager are a solid unit, every decision he makes affects how they play and the sum of the parts becomes greater as a whole, which is the best compliment I can think of for a team.

Australia went on to win 4-2 on penalties, a thoroughly deserved victory and one of the best management displays from the touch-line I have seen as I previously mentioned.

Now as PSV sit top of the Dutch table yet again, and we are in crisis, yet again there is confusion. People are calling for various managers, Hitzfeld, Le Guen and Allardyce have been mooted, and I can’t help feel that people are being rash in their choice of manager, made all the more rash by Souness’ antics.

I can’t blame them, in fact I feel the same way myself, incredibly fed up, pissed off, and at times apathetic. The words Jesus wept fail to encompass how I feel when I see a horror show performance like the ones against Wigan, Spurs or Liverpool. I’m asking myself, how many of these performances are acceptable under a manager?

Yet still Souness remains at St. James’s. I believe, barring a complete shocker Vs Mansfield, Souness will remain at the club until nearer the Summer. If he is sacked now, then basically, I don’t believe we will see a top manager coming to Newcastle.

I hope to high heaven I’m wrong on that. But the thing is, I believe Hiddink could be prized away from PSV in the Summer. We all know PSV is a selling club, and in recent times, Van Bommel, Park Ji Sung, and Lee Young Po (or whatever the lad’s called) have all been sold against Guus’ wishes.

He has stated “I don’t want to have to rebuild the team every year”, yet he has done and brought them continued success. Right now, they lie 1 point ahead of Feyenoord. Their chances for the title are tentative at best. The heart of their team has been taken, most of their best players sold. If we were to offer him a highly lucrative contract and the promise of cash backing, I think it would be possible to lure him here.

This might be too big a jump for you to take with me, but I’m thinking this guy likes a challenge. Why the fuck did he start managing Australia, or Korea? I genuinely don’t know, I hope it’s not because his mum is an Aussie or he likes to eat dogs or something because I’d like to think it’s because he likes a challenge.

After 45 years at the top of the coaching world, he is proving himself (in my opinion) to be the best manager on the planet right now. He literally shits on Jose Mourinho. Mourinho thinks he’s the special one? Seriously I would love it if Hiddink came to England because he would soon establish himself as nummer een.