The unsung heroes of the Premiership (my top 10) - how about yours?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

The Premiership is forever dominated by the big names and flair players and rightly so, but beneath the surface of superstardom lie players who if anything, really deserve the credit and headlines, the unsung heroes. Here are my top 10.

1 - Jamie Carragher - While Terry and Ferdinand grab the headlines and Ledley King the bias, the Liverpool man just goes about his business picking up trophies, helping his team to clean sheet records and if you ask any Liverpool fan, outshining even the likes of Gerrard on a consistent game for game basis for the Reds. The rock of Liverpool and a great character who regularly turns up at supporter and local events, hangs about with the same mates he grew up with and shuns the limelight. He for me has improved massively from an average if not solid performer into to a top-class defender. Not as blessed as his rivals in the skills department but when it comes to outright defending and marking, there aren't many better. He's an inspiration to all those steady solid performers and proof positive that you don't have to be multi-talented to become a top-class player, showing that a great attitude goes a long way.

2 - Gilberto - When talk of defensive midfielders crop up, many point to Chelsea's Makalele as the template of perfection in that role but in Gilberto here is a much more rounded DCM, one who can play football and score goals (not surprising given he's Brazilian). Whenever I've watched him play he rarely gives the ball away and always seems to have a good game. He carried Vieira in his final year or so at Arsenal and since the big man's move, he has came into his own as a top player in his own right. For my money, when fit and on form, he's the best DCM in the world because he can do both that side of the game and importantly, create and score at the other end and I don't think there are any quite like him. When we were once linked with him before he came to England and could have easily ended up as another Kleberson, but at £3.75m which I think he cost, he's proved a real bargain and you have to say we missed the boat for sure.

3 - Toure - Another Arsenal man, this time defender Toure who again has came on in leaps and bounds over the years to the point where today, he is pretty much an all-rounder and one of the best centre-backs in a league chocka-bloc with them. Quick, strong, good on the ball and athletic are his strengths but that's not what makes him such a good player - it is his reading of the game that makes him so valuable and his attitude seems spot on too, you never see him without that big smile of his plastered across his face, he isn't malicious or cynical unlike a few of his team-mates, he's actually a joy to watch as a defender. If he keeps improving at the rate he has been (isn't vocal enough or commanding enough yet) he could overtake Terry and Co as the best defender in the league.

4 - Carvalho - While Terry and Cech get the credit for Chelsea's mean defensive record, without Carvalho neither would be quite as effective, as partnerships go he makes Terry a better player than what he actually is and is perhaps why Terry has never looked quite as capable at international level. Carvalho reminds me somewhat of Woodgate, thin, not very athletic and not the toughest but my does he read the game well and time himself well. He's a brilliant defender and worth every penny of that huge sum. If Ferdinand is worth £30m then Carvalho is money well spent at £19m.

5 - Given - What, a Toon player? Bias I hear you cry. Well sort of because he's certainly not underrated by me, but Premiership wise, he's very much an unsung hero and I'd guess that all but Man Utd and Chelsea fans would have Shay as their number 1 if they could and I bet if Man Utd and Chelsea fans could pick an ideal replacement for their 'keepers, Shay would be very high on the list. Where we would be without him doesn't even bear thinking about. He is arguably the most consistently reliable 'keeper in the Premiership and has been for 4-5 years now. Not the tallest of 'keepers and not the greatest at commanding his box yes, but he more than makes up for it with his reading of danger, shotstopping and sheer reliability. When you factor in how much he cost and the crap he has played behind, you soon realise just how lucky we are to have him.

6 - Arteta - It took him a while to fully adapt to the Premiership but since then this hard working Spanish midfielder has proved a huge bargain, putting in some excellent displays for Everton and not only that but also proving quite versatile too. Now he is starting to score goals he's fast becoming one of the better midfielders in the Premiership, which is all the more remarkable given the way Everton's midfield are deployed. It shows his class that he is able to find time on the ball and dictate play as a right-sided outside midfielder. If ever we were looking for a natural replacement for our own Solano, Arteta would fit the bill (not me saying he would come to us BTW or want to leave Everton). Cahill and lately Johnson get all the headlines, but Arteta's the man that makes things happen for those players, very underrated in my opinion.

7 - Gary Neville - For such a limited player in that he isn't quick, athletic or blessed with the skills of say Ashley Cole, Neville has squeezed the utmost and then sum out of his talent to earn, for me, a rightful place in the hall of fame as  one of the best right-backs this country has ever produced. Certainly in the Premiership there hasn't been a player to touch him despite many pretenders. Defensively he's a rock but it is in the final third where he stands out and why he is underrated because those crosses he sends in are better than many top right-wingers can muster. To play as regular as he has for a club that can attract and spend fortunes on the best players in any position, says a lot about his consistency and attitude. People throw the tag world-class about far too often but Neville has been a world-class right-back and I think many don't quite realise just how good he is or was in his pomp.

8 - Scholes - Quite simply the little ginger destroyer of Toon has been one of the best midfielders in world football for nearly a decade now and quite why he doesn't get or hasn't had the same press as the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and others is beyond me because this lad is one of the all-time English greats and for me, is vastly underrated. The only thing he can't do is tackle, everything else he does with consumate ease and efficiency, with added flair. He's been amazing this season and is the player that frightens me most whenever we face Man Utd. A credit to himself and the game, a real professional and a role model for all aspiring footballers. If he was foreign, ala Zola or Bergkamp, he'd have had far more hype and limelight attributed to him. Everyone knows he's a top player but I believe many don't or haven't realised just how good, similar to Neville in that sense.

9 - Alonso - Gerrard grabs all the limelight but Alonso ranks alongside him as a world-class player. He joined along with Rafa and took to our game like a duck to water, which makes him stand out even more given he lacks pace. His passing is superb, better than Gerrard's and his reading of play just as good, he's also a good tackler and works ever so hard. At £10m or so he is a steal, a tremendous player and a credit to Spanish football and yes, a two-finger salute to the likes of Luque, Reyes and his own team-mate Garcia who hasn't quite set the world alight, not to mention fans and managers who turn their noses up to playmakers and those without real pace. Alonso could have so easily been another Viana but he has came to our country and shone, like with Scholes and Neville I don't think a lot of people realise just how good he is. A fantastic player to watch, makes things seem so easy.

10 - Gallas - For my money, when fit and playing at centre-back, he is the best all-round centre-back in the country and possibly the world too at current. Why Chelsea let him go I just don't know, because he's better than Terry and he even makes a decent left-back. He has the lot and I'm a massive fan. It seems lately he has fallen to niggly injuries and as a result Arsenal haven't see the best of him but Gallas and Toure, with Eboue to the right and Clichey to the left, could well be the strongest back-four in the country, as a partnership Gallas and Toure are certainly that in my opinion.

You could argue about who is the most underrated out of the 10 or whether some even deserve to be there but those are for my money the top 10 underrated players in the Premiership.

The Premiership is forever dominated by the big names and flair players and rightly so, but beneath the surface of superstardom lie players who if anything, really deserve the credit and headlines, the unsung heroes. Here are my top 10.

1 - Jamie Carragher - While Terry and Ferdinand grab the headlines and Ledley King the bias, the Liverpool man just goes about his business picking up trophies, helping his team to clean sheet records and if you ask any Liverpool fan, outshining even the likes of Gerrard on a consistent game for game basis for the Reds. The rock of Liverpool and a great character who regularly turns up at supporter and local events, hangs about with the same mates he grew up with and shuns the limelight. He for me has improved massively from an average if not solid performer into to a top-class defender. Not as blessed as his rivals in the skills department but when it comes to outright defending and marking, there aren't many better. He's an inspiration to all those steady solid performers and proof positive that you don't have to be multi-talented to become a top-class player, showing that a great attitude goes a long way.

2 - Gilberto - When talk of defensive midfielders crop up, many point to Chelsea's Makalele as the template of perfection in that role but in Gilberto here is a much more rounded DCM, one who can play football and score goals (not surprising given he's Brazilian). Whenever I've watched him play he rarely gives the ball away and always seems to have a good game. He carried Vieira in his final year or so at Arsenal and since the big man's move, he has came into his own as a top player in his own right. For my money, when fit and on form, he's the best DCM in the world because he can do both that side of the game and importantly, create and score at the other end and I don't think there are any quite like him. When we were once linked with him before he came to England and could have easily ended up as another Kleberson, but at £3.75m which I think he cost, he's proved a real bargain and you have to say we missed the boat for sure.

3 - Toure - Another Arsenal man, this time defender Toure who again has came on in leaps and bounds over the years to the point where today, he is pretty much an all-rounder and one of the best centre-backs in a league chocka-bloc with them. Quick, strong, good on the ball and athletic are his strengths but that's not what makes him such a good player - it is his reading of the game that makes him so valuable and his attitude seems spot on too, you never see him without that big smile of his plastered across his face, he isn't malicious or cynical unlike a few of his team-mates, he's actually a joy to watch as a defender. If he keeps improving at the rate he has been (isn't vocal enough or commanding enough yet) he could overtake Terry and Co as the best defender in the league.

4 - Carvalho - While Terry and Cech get the credit for Chelsea's mean defensive record, without Carvalho neither would be quite as effective, as partnerships go he makes Terry a better player than what he actually is and is perhaps why Terry has never looked quite as capable at international level. Carvalho reminds me somewhat of Woodgate, thin, not very athletic and not the toughest but my does he read the game well and time himself well. He's a brilliant defender and worth every penny of that huge sum. If Ferdinand is worth £30m then Carvalho is money well spent at £19m.

5 - Given - What, a Toon player? Bias I hear you cry. Well sort of because he's certainly not underrated by me, but Premiership wise, he's very much an unsung hero and I'd guess that all but Man Utd and Chelsea fans would have Shay as their number 1 if they could and I bet if Man Utd and Chelsea fans could pick an ideal replacement for their 'keepers, Shay would be very high on the list. Where we would be without him doesn't even bear thinking about. He is arguably the most consistently reliable 'keeper in the Premiership and has been for 4-5 years now. Not the tallest of 'keepers and not the greatest at commanding his box yes, but he more than makes up for it with his reading of danger, shotstopping and sheer reliability. When you factor in how much he cost and the crap he has played behind, you soon realise just how lucky we are to have him.

6 - Arteta - It took him a while to fully adapt to the Premiership but since then this hard working Spanish midfielder has proved a huge bargain, putting in some excellent displays for Everton and not only that but also proving quite versatile too. Now he is starting to score goals he's fast becoming one of the better midfielders in the Premiership, which is all the more remarkable given the way Everton's midfield are deployed. It shows his class that he is able to find time on the ball and dictate play as a right-sided outside midfielder. If ever we were looking for a natural replacement for our own Solano, Arteta would fit the bill (not me saying he would come to us BTW or want to leave Everton). Cahill and lately Johnson get all the headlines, but Arteta's the man that makes things happen for those players, very underrated in my opinion.

7 - Gary Neville - For such a limited player in that he isn't quick, athletic or blessed with the skills of say Ashley Cole, Neville has squeezed the utmost and then sum out of his talent to earn, for me, a rightful place in the hall of fame as  one of the best right-backs this country has ever produced. Certainly in the Premiership there hasn't been a player to touch him despite many pretenders. Defensively he's a rock but it is in the final third where he stands out and why he is underrated because those crosses he sends in are better than many top right-wingers can muster. To play as regular as he has for a club that can attract and spend fortunes on the best players in any position, says a lot about his consistency and attitude. People throw the tag world-class about far too often but Neville has been a world-class right-back and I think many don't quite realise just how good he is or was in his pomp.

8 - Scholes - Quite simply the little ginger destroyer of Toon has been one of the best midfielders in world football for nearly a decade now and quite why he doesn't get or hasn't had the same press as the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and others is beyond me because this lad is one of the all-time English greats and for me, is vastly underrated. The only thing he can't do is tackle, everything else he does with consumate ease and efficiency, with added flair. He's been amazing this season and is the player that frightens me most whenever we face Man Utd. A credit to himself and the game, a real professional and a role model for all aspiring footballers. If he was foreign, ala Zola or Bergkamp, he'd have had far more hype and limelight attributed to him. Everyone knows he's a top player but I believe many don't or haven't realised just how good, similar to Neville in that sense.

9 - Alonso - Gerrard grabs all the limelight but Alonso ranks alongside him as a world-class player. He joined along with Rafa and took to our game like a duck to water, which makes him stand out even more given he lacks pace. His passing is superb, better than Gerrard's and his reading of play just as good, he's also a good tackler and works ever so hard. At £10m or so he is a steal, a tremendous player and a credit to Spanish football and yes, a two-finger salute to the likes of Luque, Reyes and his own team-mate Garcia who hasn't quite set the world alight, not to mention fans and managers who turn their noses up to playmakers and those without real pace. Alonso could have so easily been another Viana but he has came to our country and shone, like with Scholes and Neville I don't think a lot of people realise just how good he is. A fantastic player to watch, makes things seem so easy.

10 - Gallas - For my money, when fit and playing at centre-back, he is the best all-round centre-back in the country and possibly the world too at current. Why Chelsea let him go I just don't know, because he's better than Terry and he even makes a decent left-back. He has the lot and I'm a massive fan. It seems lately he has fallen to niggly injuries and as a result Arsenal haven't see the best of him but Gallas and Toure, with Eboue to the right and Clichey to the left, could well be the strongest back-four in the country, as a partnership Gallas and Toure are certainly that in my opinion.

You could argue about who is the most underrated out of the 10 or whether some even deserve to be there but those are for my money the top 10 underrated players in the Premiership.

I would say Arteta is the most unsung. Great little player, better than Emre.

I wouldn't say Alonso is unsung the papers go on about him all the time.

Guest smoggeordie

I wouldn't call these "unsung" heroes as such. Everyone knows theyr all have quality and are top players. For me, unsung heroes are the Mellburgs, the Pogatetz', the Friedels etc... of this league. Players who aren't necessarily the skillful ones, but ones that are integral to the success of the team as a unit.

Guest smoggeordie

El-Hadji Diouf.... Scum Cheating ginger-haired love machine... but what a player...

All Big Sams work for me. He's now ten times the player he was at Liverpool.

El-Hadji Diouf.... Scum Cheating ginger-haired love machine... but what a player...

All Big Sams work for me. He's now ten times the player he was at Liverpool.

Aye... that's include Ivan Campo, Gary Speed, Nicholas Anelka, Kevin Davies...

Wouldn't say any of those are unsung. Gallas and Gilberto are grossly underrated imo though, and I think Arteta is a class act. Nemanja Vidic wouldn't be out of place on your list,  given the criteria you appear to have used.. What about Steve Sidwell? Looks a class act to me, makes Reading tick.

Main one I can think of is Linvoy Primus. Campbell gets all the headlines, but this guy is a beast, absolutely fantastic. Everytime Pompey improve everyone thinks he'll be the next one that needs 'upgrading' - and they're always wrong.

Gary Speed is another possibility these days, maybe Gavin McCann for Villa as well. I always rated Nelson at rovers as well, but he doesn't seem to have played this year, anyone know why?

Gary Speed is another possibility these days, maybe Gavin McCann for Villa as well. I always rated Nelson at rovers as well, but he doesn't seem to have played this year, anyone know why?

McCann is going through a very dodgy patch having been amazing for the first third of the season.

I couldn't agree more about Gary Speed. I'd also add Sidwell at Reading, and Vidic at Man United who has been awesome (although it is probably impossible to play there and be "unsung").

Hate the fucker though I do, I'd agree on Savage as well. Hated by supporters of most teams, who at the same time secretly think "I wouldn't mind him playing for us".

Arteta is a class player, Given and Jamie Carragher are also fantastic players with very little praise from the media

7 others i think are unsung heroes

David Bentley - Fantastic player, although people always credit Pedersen for being Blackburn’s best Midfielder, I think Bentley deserves a little bit of credit for his effort, always a danger down the wing or as an attacking midfielder

James Milner- Needless to say he's been on fine form this season, scoring and assisting Important goals for us, hope to see him in England’s squad never

Steve Sidwell- His work rate is fantastic, he make fine forward runs for reading that are always a threat to other teams; he works hard in the defensive side as well

Claud Makalele - Surprised you didn’t mention him he is a true case of an unsung hero, always underrated even at Chelsea, but he does a lot of work, one of the main reason Chelsea were champions the last two years

Tom Huddelstone- As much as i hate spurs players, he is doing a really nice work in the spuds midfield, he got nice passing abilities ,an his technique is excellent, he is also solid defensively and is a pleasure to watch,wich is rare for a spuds player

Nobby Solano- Have to give him credit for his performance as right back, he looked really solid  and even managed to stop an on form C.Ronaldo ,he doesn’t get too much credit outside Newcastle though.

Steve Finnan - one of few players Rafa doesn’t include in  his rotation system really good right back who i feel is very underrated.

Also, most of Reading, Boltons players are underrated

Nice thread tbh

Anelka. Class act, but ridiculously hated on because of his "Le Sulk" reputation. Isnt any more or less arrogant than your Henrys, Shearers or Owens, only difference between them and him is he doesnt handle situations as well as them in the public eye - they say the right things, like politicians, and keep their real thoughts in private, if they want to move theyll do so behind the scene using their own people to set things in motion, whereas Anelka says what he feels publicly and tries to force a move if clubs dont want to sell. Surrounded by the wrong people giving him the wrong advice compared to others of his ability, which isnt suprising considering his brothers are/were his agents whilst others have big, powerful professional agents/organisations acting on their behalf.

Also think Samaras would do well at a bigger club with better service.

He is Inconsistent,some times he playes fantastic,scoring and assiting goals,some times he turns to shit and starts walking all over the pitch for 90 min's with no real impact

Though an on form Samaras is a pleasure to watch

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hes better than Wayne Rooney, and has been ever since Rooney moved to ManU. Best player in the league this season by a country mile, but im betting he wont get recognised for it. Not really unsung, but just underrated, even though hes ripping teams to shreds by sheer individual ability/class alone.

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hes better than Wayne Rooney, and has been ever since Rooney moved to ManU. Best player in the league this season by a country mile, but im betting he wont get recognised for it.

:lol: Every single person I have spoke to this season think he's been better than Rooney. Hardly unsung.

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hes better than Wayne Rooney, and has been ever since Rooney moved to ManU. Best player in the league this season by a country mile, but im betting he wont get recognised for it. Not really unsung, but just underrated, even though hes ripping teams to shreds by sheer individual ability/class alone.

Agree with that. :thup:

In no particular order...

Diouf - Pure class. Simple as that.

McBride - For me, the most under-rated of the lot.

Campo - While Speed & Nolan get all the plaudits, he keeps things ticking over.

Primus - See above, but with James & Campbell.

Gamst Pedersen - Scores & makes goals on a regular basis.

Vidic - For me, the best centre-back in the league this season.

Jagielka - One of the main reasons Sheff Utd look like they're going to stay up.

Yakubu - Consistently one of the top scorers in the league for the last 4 seasons.

Yobo - Very rarely see him having a bad game.

Dunne - For the last 2-3 years, has been excellent for City.