The unsung heroes of the Premiership (my top 10) - how about yours?

Guest Knightrider

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hes better than Wayne Rooney, and has been ever since Rooney moved to ManU. Best player in the league this season by a country mile, but im betting he wont get recognised for it. Not really unsung, but just underrated, even though hes ripping teams to shreds by sheer individual ability/class alone.

Eh? Most people would say he's been brilliant for 2 years and will probably win Player Of The Year this season (or Drogba). Aside from the obvious skills he is great in the air and is possibly the best penalty taker in the world.

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hes better than Wayne Rooney, and has been ever since Rooney moved to ManU. Best player in the league this season by a country mile, but im betting he wont get recognised for it. Not really unsung, but just underrated, even though hes ripping teams to shreds by sheer individual ability/class alone.

Eh? :lol:

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Cristiano,Unsung?

he is better then Rooney,but he is also a huge media player,its hard to find a Manure shirt without the name C.Ronaldo behing it here..

Also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hes better than Wayne Rooney, and has been ever since Rooney moved to ManU. Best player in the league this season by a country mile, but im betting he wont get recognised for it.

Well hopefully no he won't, the cheating bastard  :thup:

Meh, maybe its just me then.

In the summer, majority of people on this forum and those I worked with labelled him as an overrated diving shitbag with no end product, even though he was easily the best young player in the WC.

Since then, whenever theres any thread made about the best player in the league, Ronaldo's name rarely crops up. Rooney, Henry, Gerrard, etc are regularly mentioned as the best in this country and often the world, yet Ronaldo shits on all of them because he rips teams apart on a more consistent basis.

Just dont think hes rated as highly as he should be by alot of people, online and irl.

On the world stage I don't think Ronaldo will ever get the recognition as say Rooney or Ronaldinho, they do spectacular things like shots from distance etc. Ronaldo will constantly skin his full back and can gain a huge amount of territory with his running.

I can't explain what I mean really, but I I think I know where tmonkey's coming from.

In the summer, majority of people on this forum and those I worked with labelled him as an overrated diving shitbag with no end product, even though he was easily the best young player in the WC.

Since then, whenever theres any thread made about the best player in the league, Ronaldo's name rarely crops up. Rooney, Henry, Gerrard, etc are regularly mentioned as the best in this country and often the world, yet Ronaldo shits on all of them because he rips teams apart on a more consistent basis.

Just dont think hes rated as highly as he should be by alot of people, online and irl.

No that was just us deflecting the blame for shortcomings of our oun national team onto someone else  :undecided:

I'd say ours is Emre tbh.

N'Zog IMO. Perhaps not this season though.

Note that it's different here than in England. Not many here would know who the what a sandwich!! the Zogster is.

haha I love this swear blocker.

And the Zog (on last seasons for) / Emre (this seasons forms) are our two creative players, can't wait to have them both back in the team.

this topic confuses me.  to be 'unsung', don;t you acutally have to be underrated?  only player on that list i feel deserves a place is arteta, everyone else on that list is recognized class.  maybe 10 year olds don't appreciate the defensive work of kolo toure or william gallas, but i think most educated football fans and pundits ackowledge everyone on that list as a top player for thier teams.

this topic confuses me.  to be 'unsung', don;t you acutally have to be underrated?  only player on that list i feel deserves a place is arteta, everyone else on that list is recognized class.  maybe 10 year olds don't appreciate the defensive work of kolo toure or william gallas, but i think most educated football fans and pundits ackowledge everyone on that list as a top player for thier teams.

Aye, Neville, Give and Scholes would be on many peoples "Prem XI"

Guest s0ftcore

Bastian Schweinsteiger would have been my pick for the best young player of the WC. But I can see your point on Ronaldo. He's improved massively and is a much more consistent player now then he was last season.

Henry's name deserves to be regularly mentioned as the best in the country, because unlike Rooney and Gerrard, he isn't overrated. He's just that damn good :(

---

Unsung Heroes List:

Gael Clichy - he doesn't get mentioned alot in the press but he contributes alot to Arsenal's attacking game and is solid defensively. Seldom beaten for pace. The Arse don't look like they miss Cashley at all with him

Solano, Milner - they don't get as much credit as Oba although they've been one of the reasons we've been managing to grind out wins

Kevin Davies

McBride

The Nevilles

David James

Guess that's about it for me.

I would say ours is Milner tbh, although people are starting to give him his credit now there is still often a question mark over him. He has plenty of skill and talent but it isnt as pleasing on the eye as the likes of Henry, Ronaldo but as ugly as his football looks half the time it is also very effective. He is often our only effective midfield outlet and although I don't know the figures i'm sure he has plenty of assists this season and has now started chipping in with the goals. If he had Dyers pace he would be a lot more highly rated but as much as he does lack pace he still has a fair bit of end product. Last season he also had an excellent season but as it wasn't in a black and white shirt it doesn't seem to count.

Unsung Players:

Abdoulaye Faye (Bolton)

The guy is a monster, hardly ever see anyone get the better of him.

Brian McBride (Fulham)

Always a threat, always gives the side 110%, and scores a fair few goals.

Linvoy Primus (Portsmouth)

Solid alongside Campbell, Redknapp really gets the very best out of him.

Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal)

Fits into the side in all kinds of positions, and always plays well.

I really rate Arteta & Gamst-Pedersen, but to me they are not unsung, whenever their teams are mentioned, they are the players immediately talked about, so for me they are not unsung heroes.

ronaldo is rightly getting all the plaudits this season, he's arguably the most in form player on the planet at the moment. however i wouldn't say he's been better than rooney since they've both been at man utd, ronaldo was pretty awful for most of the 04-05 season, and had long periods off-form last season. he looks a class above rooney at the moment though.

The Premiership is forever dominated by the big names and flair players and rightly so, but beneath the surface of superstardom lie players who if anything, really deserve the credit and headlines, the unsung heroes. Here are my top 10.

1 - Jamie Carragher -

3 - Toure -

5 - Given -

6 - Arteta -

8 - Scholes -

9 - Alonso -

10 - Gallas -

You could argue about who is the most underrated out of the 10 or whether some even deserve to be there but those are for my money the top 10 underrated players in the Premiership.

I would say these lot get the credit and praise they deserve.

It's a curious list - and I have little to add to the debate except this:

If Xabi Alonso was rated as highly as he should be then there would be no debate about Gerrard and his "favoured position". There's a very good reason Rafa doesn't play him in centre midfield - there are two players there who are much better than him! (In addendum maybe Sissoko would have been a more worthy addition to the "unsung" list?)