The unsung heroes of the Premiership (my top 10) - how about yours?

Guest Knightrider

Gamst Pedersen in particular, what a fucking player that boy is. Surely a move to a bigger club is on the agenda in the summer? Not saying that equates to us, but imagine the kid at Liverpool or replacing Ronaldo at Man Utd... seriously. Outside of Ronaldo, I'm not sure if there's a better/more consistent winger in the league.

Quite amazingly, he features in the "top 5" in every statistic on SkySports Opta Stats for Blackburn, other than bookings... but including fouls given away.

<a href="http://home.skysports.com/optastats.aspx?clid=5&hlid=OPTA_Blackburn_Rovers&cpid=8">Stats</a>

Most tellingly for me he has made more tackles than any other Blackburn player (72) with the highest success percentage as well, (81.9%), simply unheard of for a wideman. I think only Xabi Alonso has a higher number/percentage score than him in the entire league. Scott Parker is 3rd overall, behind these two (percentage/numbers wise). Pedersen is the epitomy of a modern "winger". 6 league goals and 3 assists this season. 9 league goals last season, 4 the previous. Not bad.

Agree with all this. I've been saying he's class since early of the 2005/2006 season. How people are just noticing him now is beyond me.

Gamst Pedersen in particular, what a f****** player that boy is. Surely a move to a bigger club is on the agenda in the summer? Not saying that equates to us, but imagine the kid at Liverpool or replacing Ronaldo at Man Utd... seriously. Outside of Ronaldo, I'm not sure if there's a better/more consistent winger in the league.

Quite amazingly, he features in the "top 5" in every statistic on SkySports Opta Stats for Blackburn, other than bookings... but including fouls given away.

<a href="http://home.skysports.com/optastats.aspx?clid=5&hlid=OPTA_Blackburn_Rovers&cpid=8">Stats</a>

Most tellingly for me he has made more tackles than any other Blackburn player (72) with the highest success percentage as well, (81.9%), simply unheard of for a wideman. I think only Xabi Alonso has a higher number/percentage score than him in the entire league. Scott Parker is 3rd overall, behind these two (percentage/numbers wise). Pedersen is the epitomy of a modern "winger". 6 league goals and 3 assists this season. 9 league goals last season, 4 the previous. Not bad.

Agree with all this. I've been saying he's class since early of the 2005/2006 season. How people are just noticing him now is beyond me.

And while Robson scouted him but decided against buying him in the summer of 2004, hands up who knows which manager did actually rate him and bring him to England? ;)

My favourite thing about this thread is that for his top 10 'unsung heros' of the premiership, HTT has managed to pick 10 very highly rated players, whose contributions rarely go unnoticed.

:lol:

Guest kingdawson

Under-rated

Mikel Arteta

Pascal Chimbonda

Gary Teale

Mark Viduka

Steve Finnan

Luke young

Liam Roseniar

Brian Mcbride

Hameur Bouazza

Joey Barton

Abdolaye Faye

Ivan Campo

el hadji diouf

Ryan Nelson

David Bentley

To name a few

Guest Knightrider

My favourite thing about this thread is that for his top 10 'unsung heros' of the premiership, HTT has managed to pick 10 very highly rated players, whose contributions rarely go unnoticed.

Maybe the wording I used or the title of the thread was misleading, what I meant was players who are as equally good as others who for whatever reason, get all the headlines instead or get classed as better players.

For example Terry and Carragher, Carragher does what he did against Barca last night and he's a hero, brave, a true Scouser - generally patronising shite. If Terry put in a similar performance against that level of opposition, he's the best in the world, the best defender of all time.

Also, unsung is a good word, Gerrard gets all the praise at Liverpool, Ronaldo at Man Utd, Terry at Chelsea, Henry at Arsenal, yet the Carraghers, Carvalhos, Gilbertos and Scholes are the real stars.

Now if I had said underrated...

I've always thought that Vassell was very under-rated.

...not really. He's not scored a Premiership goal against someone other than Aston Villa since February 2, 2006 (Souness' last game). Mind you, we are shit and he's barely had a shot all season. He was pretty good last season alongside Andy Cole tho but I think that had more to do with Cole - who I also think would be a pretty good shout for most underrated player. Most have a bit of a downer on him because of this "needs 5 chances" reputation but I reckon he's a pretty good footballer.