Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Regarding goalkeepers, pundits and commentators saying: “he shouldn’t be getting beaten at the near post like that”, often completely ignoring the positioning of the keeper and the speed/power of the strike.

Edited by McCormick

On 23/11/2021 at 18:27, midds said:

Corners that don't make it past the first man. 

I don’t mind this depending on the player. The difference in the perfect corner and these in connection are marginal. 

I hate floated corners that keepers can drop their hat on far worse.

On 24/11/2021 at 04:14, McCormick said:

Regarding goalkeepers, pundits and commentators saying: “he shouldn’t be getting beaten at the near post like that”, often completely ignoring the positioning of the keeper and the speed/power of the strike.

I find most of the armchair punditry around goalkeeping pretty irritating. It’s a really difficult position. :lol:

Players being challenged, going to ground and scooping the ball up because they've decided they've been fouled before the ref has made the call. I'd give handball against them every fucking time. 

3 minutes ago, midds said:

Players being challenged, going to ground and scooping the ball up because they've decided they've been fouled before the ref has made the call. I'd give handball against them every fucking time. 

Yes. Would love them for the foul to go the other way.

The same with players circling a referee - book them. That’ll stop them 

I agree refs have so much power and don’t use it. It’s weird that there are basic rules to football but ref seems to ignore them to keep 11 v 11 on the pitch. Always found it weird why refs seem to feel like they’ve got to keep as many players on the pitch as they can. If we actually had some games 8 v 8 etc it might make the players and managers rethink their gamesmanship.

I've heard ex-referees talk about instructions to keep bookings to a minimum because the product needs the best players available.

Referees have ceded a lot of their powers ever since they let Keane, Schmeichel et al crowd the ref without consequence.

Edited by Raconteur

Suppose a game ends 9v9 (two off each side).   Is the narrative that the players "lost their heads" or that the referee "lost control of the game"?

That's why the referees do what they need to do to keep the players on the pitch and not throw pedantic cards around tossing players left right and center.  (My referee association would say (in general) that if you have to dismiss a player, then you have failed with earlier decisions).

I do agree that it would be better if there was less shithousing from the players, and more respect for the referees, but honestly, unless the league/FA demands more absolute/draconian refereeing then it will never change.

To add to this when you hear on commentary if you give a penalty for that you’d be giving a penalty at every corner (for grabbing etc). So? Give a penalty every corner. Then let’s see how the defenders carry on after the 4th 5th 6th penalty that game. Where’s the rule to say you can’t have 20 penalties a game? There isn’t one. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, LFEE said:

To add to this when you hear on commentary if you give a penalty for that you’d be giving a penalty at every corner (for grabbing etc). So? Give a penalty every corner. Then let’s see how the defenders carry on after the 4th 5th 6th penalty that game. Where’s the rule to say you can’t have 20 penalties a game? There isn’t one. 

Agreed.

Defenders get away with a lot of stuff.

12 hours ago, Exiled in Texas said:

Suppose a game ends 9v9 (two off each side).   Is the narrative that the players "lost their heads" or that the referee "lost control of the game"?

That's why the referees do what they need to do to keep the players on the pitch and not throw pedantic cards around tossing players left right and center.  (My referee association would say (in general) that if you have to dismiss a player, then you have failed with earlier decisions).

I do agree that it would be better if there was less shithousing from the players, and more respect for the referees, but honestly, unless the league/FA demands more absolute/draconian refereeing then it will never change.

It's all to do with keeping the 'show' in place. 

Ronaldo could do a leg breaking challenge in the first minute of a match and would not be sent off, while if lets say Dummett did he'd be off immediately. PL is closer to WWE than real sport now.

Short corners annoy me too, but there’s no logic to my annoyance - corners are really about the roar of excitement when you get one; only c.3% result in a goal (though we’re included in that average, so maybe it’s closer to 5% for everyone else), so taking them short is unlikely to be any less efficient.  Hitting the first man from a corner is a piss-boiler too; that a professional footballer cannot accurately cross a dead ball is extraordinary *glowers at Matt Ritchie*

I’d add to the list:

referees not calling foul throws

’they need to apply common sense’ - no, they need to apply the laws of the game.  See also: Pundits complaining about an application of the law, before claiming the law is ‘stupid’ when it is pointed out that then referee is correct

people with no link to the place of the team that they support referring to the club as ‘we’ and ‘us’; like a Man Utd ‘fan’ from Truro constantly talking about ‘us’ and the listener naturally assuming they’re talking about Plymouth Argyle

Merson, Collymore et al pontificating on an issue relating to the professionalism of any current player

PFM defences of fellow PFM

Man U being called ‘United’

Football supporters talking like accountants when it comes to cup competitions - ‘we should play a second XI, there’s no money in it, the UEFA Cup just costs money to play in, could damage our chances of a top half finish and more bonus money’ etc.  This especially applies to supporters of clubs who’ve won either nowt or nowt for a long time (therefore including us)

Yeah, I think there's almost an unhealthy obsession over statistics at times. Antonio Conte was interviewed after Tottenham's game at the weekend and he was questioned about how he felt about only having 40% possession at home against a side like Norwich. He gave a very long, very diplomatic response when the executive summary was along the lines of him not really giving a shit, which is correct. 

Tottenham won 3-0.