Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

1 hour ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Professional players who can't use their weaker foot. Like 100k a week to kick a football and you can only do it with 1 of the 2 feet you have. Like all the graft that goes into getting to the top level and training yourself to equalise both feet has never happened. 

This is my pet hate, along with referring to the other foot as the weaker foot…

24 minutes ago, HTT II said:

This is my pet hate, along with referring to the other foot as the weaker foot…

Infuriating when you see them going to put a cross in but can't cause its on their weaker foot so they are trying everything to get it onto their strong foot. 

2 hours ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Professional players who can't use their weaker foot. Like 100k a week to kick a football and you can only do it with 1 of the 2 feet you have. Like all the graft that goes into getting to the top level and training yourself to equalise both feet has never happened. 

Not difficult using both feet, got grandson using both shown him on number occasions where goals not scored due to players not being able to kick with both feet 

I've got 2 football pet hates, not sure which one annoys me the most, probably the goalkeeper one.

1 - When a goalie pulls off a decent save, but then has the urge to run 20 yards to the edge of their box screaming their head off and gesticulating with their hands, despite it not really actually being anyone's fault that the attacker got his shot in.

2 - When an attacker is in a CLEAR goal scoring position and decides to take a shot at goal, and invariably it doesn't find the net, the other 2, 3, 4 of his team-mates in the box all start throwing their hands up in the air as if to say "why didn't you pass it to me to score", even though there were defenders in the way, or they were stood in an offside position.

8 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

1 - Is Jordan Pickford basically every save. Quiet when he chucks one in every other week, mind. 

First player that came to mind too.

If I see a 'keeper pulling that shit I instantly would never want them on my team.

I'm sure I'm reading too much in to it but to me it smacks of someone that doesn't actually know how to organise a defence trying to look like they know. 

People suddenly calling certain centre midfielders a 6. Must be a continental thing? As I’ve always known centre mids as 4 and 8 and most people have whenever I have played. 

I can’t say I remember people referring to them specifically by numbers and not their position, anyway. I’ve always just gone 4 for DM and 8 for the more attacking or box to box type. But suddenly everyone is just throwing 6 out there without any explanation on what they mean. 

On 21/01/2022 at 14:01, Tsunami said:

Referees who add on a minutes additional time at HT when there’s been goals, injuries and now there’s VAR stoppages and then inexplicably add on 5 or more minutes at FT for no apparent reason.

I keep saying it. 2×35min halves. Clock stops when the balls dead. In stadium clock so everyone knows how longs left.

Players can't time waste, no fergie time and it's not at the refs discretion.

9 hours ago, madras said:

I keep saying it. 2×35min halves. Clock stops when the balls dead. In stadium clock so everyone knows how longs left.

Players can't time waste, no fergie time and it's not at the refs discretion.

Would make things much worse. The main point of what we call time wasting isn't actually to waste time, it's to kill the game's momentum. Remove the clock and the punishment and that becomes much easier to do. 

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Would make things much worse. The main point of what we call time wasting isn't actually to waste time, it's to kill the game's momentum. Remove the clock and the punishment and that becomes much easier to do. 

How does it become easier to do ? You're not removing the clock, you're making everyone aware of it.

11 minutes ago, madras said:

How does it become easier to do ? You're not removing the clock, you're making everyone aware of it.

You've said "players can't time waste"

Of course they can but there's no punishment. We call it 'time wasting', that's not actually the point of the exercise though.

If a team is under siege, 1-0 up at the death, facing corner after corner after corner, then a defending player lies on the floor for 5 minutes pretending to be injured - even if the ref adds every second of that time on when the game restarts, the "time wasting" was still worth it because at that point, things have calmed down, the crowd have got bored and the momentum has been taken out of the game. In that situation as a defending player, with no yellow card available to the referee anymore, I'd be making sure every throw in took a full minute to take. Suck all the life out of the game - the actual time itself is nowhere near as important.

Unsure why we have two football pet hates threads but for the sake of good order;

23 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

When people replace the word spend with 'spunk' when talking about money spent on a player or players. Fucking weird behaviour. 

9 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Of course they can but there's no punishment. We call it 'time wasting', that's not actually the point of the exercise though.

If a team is under siege, 1-0 up at the death, facing corner after corner after corner, then a defending player lies on the floor for 5 minutes pretending to be injured - even if the ref adds every second of that time on when the game restarts, the "time wasting" was still worth it because at that point, things have calmed down, the crowd have got bored and the momentum has been taken out of the game. In that situation as a defending player, with no yellow card available to the referee anymore, I'd be making sure every throw in took a full minute to take. Suck all the life out of the game - the actual time itself is nowhere near as important.

I think that's part of it, but do think it's also about cutting in-game time to a significant extent. You know the ref's not going to add as much as wasted - you want to push it without doing so much that ref feels obliged to max out the additional time. (not that I'm calling for a new clock/time)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

8 hours ago, Wullie said:

Fair points. I do think it's important though for everyone to know how much game time is left, for it not to be arbitrary and for actual game time not to be wasted through legitimate things.