Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, absolutely futile, just a way to create another pointless piece of social media content. 

Means absolutely nothing for such a small sample size. 

They seem the king of it.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

So glad we've got proper owners now and don't have to worry about losing a talent like Yorkie to BlueMoon or RedCafe

:lol: I did get my head turned by Grand Old Team but they only offered me the title Horse Puncher when I was after Barcode. 

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2022 at 12:27, Wullie said:

On a similar note, probably in this thread already, "X misplaces the pass, wow he is human!" or "Don't say that very often!"

Well not since the last game you commentated on anyway, because that particular player, as they all do, will misplace at least one pass in most games and you always say the same bloody thing.

I've posted this one before. It started with the likes of Messi and Xavi, where it makes sense to say those things.

Since then I've heard it about the likes of KDB, where it isn't unusual at all for them to misplace a pass.

Extended camera shots of players instead of just keeping the focus on the pitch. I swear it's getting worse.

A quick 4-5 second cut when it goes out of play now and then is fine but they seem to spend 30 seconds cycling around different shots whenever there's a throw-in. 

20 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

My pet hate is female commentators and female pundits. I watched the Leeds game yesterday and it was ruined by the Emma Hayes commentary.  She has a voice like a blunt saw and just doesn't shut up

Was that Emma Hayes? Thought she usually sounds way more Laaandan then that. I think she is great as a pundit in the studio. One of the best, in fact. 

Whoever it was yesterday. I didn’t mind her. 

Watching Popes pre-Arsenal interview reminded me how much I hate parts of interviews where a manager or player is referring to other players with last name/shortened last name ending with -s or -y. "Woodsy", "Tripps" etc.

I'd be fine with first name, full last name or if the nick name is based on something "everyone" calls mentioned player f.ex Miggy. Do they refer to each other like that every day in training? It sounds so weird :lol: Like a bunch of 19 year olds at a party right after all of them have finished their military service.

If we're doing commentary ones, the insistence that every neutral fan will root for the English club in whatever European competition. They really used to try and force it with manu and I remember thinking that I really didn't want them to do well. Why would I want a bunch of smug fans becoming even smugger?

• 4 weeks later...

When people say that scoring is the hardest thing to do in football. 

I feel like it's one of those things that people just say because they've heard other people say it.

Just off the top of my head, scoring isn't anywhere near as hard as dribbling past good defenders, losing a marker, positional sense, consistently winning headers, decision making, timing, tons of different tricks, or playing in goal.

Dunno where this idea that scoring is hard let alone the hardest thing to do comes from like, it's canny easy.

Edited by Kid Icarus

This putting a player behind your wall and on the floor nonsense. I don't know who did it first but it seems to have quickly become a regular thing. It looks ridiculous, and I hope the player that's the one to lie on the grass feels like a right mug while doing so. Can't wait to see some melt hauling a team-mate on their shoulders from a corner kick to give a height advantage...

Edited by Tyler

On 02/01/2023 at 23:53, alexf said:

I think that's just par for the course with footballers it seems.

you have to remember at the top level must have been in a bubble shielded from average life pressures since they’ve been 14/15 in some cases. It’s probably exactly like being at school just more cash and blart 

I know it shouldn't, but it bugs me when players are constantly making the sign of the cross and/or pointing to the heavens at every opportunity -- when the game is about to start, coming on as a substitute, after scoring, when the final whistle blows etc.  I think it started in American sports and spread over here. Just once I'd like to see a Satanist player score a goal and point downwards towards Hades.

1 minute ago, GideonShandy said:

I know it shouldn't, but it bugs me when players are constantly making the sign of the cross and/or pointing to the heavens at every opportunity -- when the game is about to start, coming on as a substitute, after scoring, when the final whistle blows etc.  I think it started in American sports and spread over here. Just once I'd like to see a Satanist player score a goal and point downwards towards Hades.

I was thinking this with rashford. Cunts turned Brazilian in the last few weeks. Always happens to be when the cameras zoomed in as well

Hmmmm

46 minutes ago, Tyler said:

This putting a player behind your wall and on the floor nonsense. I don't know who did it first but it seems to have quickly become a regular thing. It looks ridiculous, and I hope the player that's the one to lie on the grass feels like a right mug while doing so.

Be funny if it hit the player on the floors head and the ref gave a penalty for low head.

As long as it wasn't against us.

2 hours ago, jack j said:

I was thinking this with rashford. Cunts turned Brazilian in the last few weeks. Always happens to be when the cameras zoomed in as well

Hmmmm

If the players are that religious why don't they do their praying or crossing themselves in private?  Why does it have to be in front of tens of thousands of strangers.  Who was that Man Utd arsehole that would literally drop to his knees and raise his arms to the heavens right just before kick off?  "Look at me everybody".