Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

24 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Players and managers putting their hands over their mouths when talking.

Agreed. I can understand it in American football where the opposition lip reader transmitted what play was coming next. In any other football what do they need to hide. :thup: "Stop giving it to Rashford he's shit"

Mostly an American pet hate here, but games being on a different channel to the build up show. I inevitably watch ten minutes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows rather than the first ten minutes of the game. 

Now you could make the point that I’m an idiot, which can’t be refuted, but it’s my pet hate and I’m sticking with it. 

The absolute spurious use of the word “football” in the term “the football club”, which is usually used by ex players in the media because they think it makes them sound clever. 

Saw Michael Dawson interviewed the other day and he did it about eight times in two minutes. 

“He’s come into the football club and turned things around”. “This could be very important for the football club”.  

JUST SAY “CLUB”. We know you don’t mean the working man’s club, the cricket club or the fucking Christmas club. You don’t have to specify which “club” you’re talking about.

I remember posting similar on this thread about fifteen years ago and it still really really pisses me off. 

Just now, brummie said:

The absolute spurious use of the word “football” in the term “the football club”, which is usually used by ex players in the media because they think it makes them sound clever. 

Saw Michael Dawson interviewed the other day and he did it about eight times in two minutes. 

“He’s come into the football club and turned things around”. “This could be very important for the football club”.  

JUST SAY “CLUB”. We know you don’t mean the working man’s club, the cricket club or the fucking Christmas club. You don’t have to specify which “club” you’re talking about.

I remember posting similar on this thread about fifteen years ago and it still really really pisses me off. 

Shearer's probably the worst for that, he likes to say football pitch as well.

55 minutes ago, brummie said:

50cent agrees

Football highlights/review shows that put the final score up at the beginning of each match. 

Sky do this for their SPL/lower league reviews. Just removes one possible little bit of entertainment for the viewer for no reason at all.

21 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Football highlights/review shows that put the final score up at the beginning of each match. 

Sky do this for their SPL/lower league reviews. Just removes one possible little bit of entertainment for the viewer for no reason at all.

I put my hands over my eyes when the highlights are on so I can just listen to what happened instead for that very reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fantasy Football. Not the game itself. But how it has now become such a part of the mainstream. 

Maybe it’s been that way for a while and I never noticed. But I remembered thinking it was odd that FF was such a big thing over in America for the NFL. It seemed huge over there and formed part of the coverage all the while. 

Never thought it was the case over here. But SSN, radio shows and podcasts are all over it now. I’m listening to a review piece from the day’s games and there’s a load of bollocks on about whether or not I should triple captain Erling Haaland. 

9 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Fantasy Football. Not the game itself. But how it has now become such a part of the mainstream. 

Maybe it’s been that way for a while and I never noticed. But I remembered thinking it was odd that FF was such a big thing over in America for the NFL. It seemed huge over there and formed part of the coverage all the while. 

Never thought it was the case over here. But SSN, radio shows and podcasts are all over it now. I’m listening to a review piece from the day’s games and there’s a load of bollocks on about whether or not I should triple captain Erling Haaland. 

It's become ridiculous now like. I know people that Im sure used to be big football fans that now care more about their FPL teams than the teams they actually support. 

Added to that, the leaks, the podcasts and everything around it has just become way too big. Can't have a league with some mates now without some checking for FPL leaks or someone following some twitter cunt who spend way too much time analysing five gameweeks ahead.

It should be a fun complement to watching the game, something to make Everton - Palace a bit more interesting, feel like it's on it's way to becoming bigger than football itself. 

Agree fantasy football is ridiculous these days. Immediately switch off when my mates discuss who they have triple captained this week. 

Showing my age but I remember when you had to send a self addressed envelope to the Daily Telegraph to submit your team and transfers. 

I also remember some newspapers operated with both the premier league and Scottish league in the same competition. Think it might have been the Times. You could pick up Marco Negri for £1.5m and he was banging in 3 goals a game against the likes of Patrick Thistle. 

Edited by Boey_Jarton

On 04/01/2024 at 06:13, leffe186 said:

They play classic NFL matches on the NFL Network over here and inevitably in the program description it will say "the Bears beat the Packers 31-28 in overtime in this classic NFC North matchup"

Why the fuck would you do that like

3 hours ago, Miercoles said:

They play classic NFL matches on the NFL Network over here and inevitably in the program description it will say "the Bears beat the Packers 31-28 in overtime in this classic NFC North matchup"

Why the fuck would you do that like

Not sure if it's still the same, but BBC News just before Match of the Day was awful.

"Match of the Day follows shortly so if you don't want to know the scores, switch over now. Manchester City extended their lead at the top of the table..." with no pause. :lol:

(Previously if you don't want to know the scores, look away now. They wouldn't talk about it)

Edited by Optimistic Nut

On 28/12/2023 at 19:22, number37 said:

Paul Merson is always stressing the importance of winning football matches too. 

Golf commentators often love to praise a good golf shot. Sums that lot up though. 

Yes he always comes across as a really intelligent man. Why don't managers and club owners listen to him