Following on from the pet hates thread

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

I haven't seen the Toon play live, but for me the most beautiful thing about the beautiful game is that almost orgasmic, explosive rush of tens of thousands of fans screaming when your team scores. Was at the MCG in 2001 when 95,000 people exploded with joy when Kevin Muscat scored a pen to put us 1-0 up in theWorld Cup qualifier...

Similarly, dancing in the streets of Melbourne with some 15,000 people who watched the penalty shootout to put us through to the 2006 World Cup.

In fact, I'm so jealous of the Europeans on this board, with real football crowds, where that sort of feeling can be experienced weekly (or at least more regularly than every four years!)

1992 - the only year the right team won the european championship :p

honestly though - i used to get a real buzz on saturdays when waiting for the match - be it live, on telly, radio etc. - but sadly i just don't get quite the same feeling anymore.

it seems that mainly the negative stuff prevails in my world, and i can hardly bothe rwith the championsleague matches anymore either....

Big centre-forwards running and jumping into a deep cross from the by-line to smash a bullet header past the keeper. Best goals you can score. Big Dunc was the master at this.  :cheesy:

Sir Les was better at it than Big Dunc.

Guest icemanblue

Walking out from the concourse on level 7 and seeing the pitch. Makes the journey up the steps (oh, so many steps) seem a distant memory.

Oh, and watching Oba play.  Can you imagine him and Big Al together? Would have been something else...

Guest Gemmill

The games at SJP when everything goes against us - ropey ref, a goal down, bad decision gifting them a goal - and all of a sudden there's a bit of an angry atmosphere about the place.  Those sort of games, if we then come back from behind to win, make a lot of the shit worthwhile.  Doesn't happen all that often though tbf.

That and Albert Luque.

Guest Gemmill

Martins' goal against Tottenham.

Aye that goal was one of those funny moments like.  I unleashed a torrent of involuntary foul-mouthedness.  Same with those Shearer goals against Chelsea and Everton - you know the ones I mean.  And Rob Lee's header against Chelsea in the cup semi (albeit shortlived).

Watching Spurs get hammered on Sky with the fanzone commentary on. That guy is a complete tool and I love listening to him squirm. Last Sunday was one of the best examples.

Obafemi...ooh god.....love him to bits....So unbelievably happy he plays for us....awww just love him  :smitten:

Also....a kinda random one ....anyone remember Jan Kollers header at the world cup (think it was against the US of A)....i loved that goal....A big fuck-off bastard stomping into the box and Kaboooom power header...love it!

And also carrying on from mr. towelie's comment in the pet hates thread...beating people who play as inter and brazil on pro evo 6...feels GREAT..especially with the toon

The excuse to drink whenever a game was played (like the Japan & South Korea breakfast pints :) )

Away games.

Magic moments like some of the goals scored this season.

Laurent Robert at his peak, always wanted him to have a go if we got a freekick anyway in their half.

The games at SJP when everything goes against us - ropey ref, a goal down, bad decision gifting them a goal - and all of a sudden there's a bit of an angry atmosphere about the place.  Those sort of games, if we then come back from behind to win, make a lot of the shit worthwhile.  Doesn't happen all that often though tbf.

That and Albert Luque.

Those games are what makes football a worthwhile pursuit, you're exactly right.

Seeing Tottenham getting beaten ranks high up there for me as well, like.

Seriously, wtf is with the Martins love-in? :lol:  Looks a good player, but f*** me you would think he was Pele.

;D Just something about him....he's so awesome :love:

hang around the baltic and you'll get to kiss him!

Sitting next to my pal at the match.  Against Reading when we equalised we went nutts! I chucked him about, he turned to me straight faced "I am not a rag doll".

Hilarious.

Being at the match, the craik before and after.

Seriously, wtf is with the Martins love-in? :lol:  Looks a good player, but fuck me you would think he was Pele.

I think its the fact that he is so exciting with absolute cracking goals and his interviews are just odd but very amusing. Haven't really had an exciting player like him for a while, one who will just come out with a screamer from nowhere.

Guest Gemmill

Seriously, wtf is with the Martins love-in? :lol:  Looks a good player, but fuck me you would think he was Pele.

I think its the fact that he is so exciting with absolute cracking goals and his interviews are just odd but very amusing. Haven't really had an exciting player like him for a while, one who will just come out with a screamer from nowhere.

Haway though.  The question is "What makes you love the beautiful game?"  The answer:  Obafemi Martins??? :lol:

Haway though.  The question is "What makes you love the beautiful game?"  The answer:  Obafemi Martins??? :lol:

Shut it red!

Martins' goal against Tottenham.

Martins' face after the goal against Tottenham.

I watch that whole piece a lot. SO glad my auntie taped that game. One of the best goals/moments altogether type thing in the last few seasons for me. There's no specific reason for it to be, but that moment is just one that i love. Everyone has their favourite goals, etc, and that's definitely one of mine.

Who won January Goal of the Month?

Martins for that goal :D

Link? Can't see it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/default.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/6339825.stm