Freddy Shepherds and Steve Gibson's relationship

Guest Retro Barker

Guest Retro Barker

I have heard a number of times that Freddy and Gibbo have a good friendship, and are close friends within football. So much so,  they have a unwritten pack that they will not go into a bidding war between each clubs.

Do you believe this to be nonesense or truth?

I'm intrested to know, as Viduka has been linked with Newcastle, that Goochy fella with Boro.

Also, when there was the scandal of the underhand football agents, Freddy warned Gibbo that one of our best academy players agent was touting him to other clubs. (Without Boro knowing)

Freddy should be applauded for this.

I think Simon Jordan said that Shepherd once phoned him when he was trying to hang onto Johnson immediately after Palace's relegation, and told Jordan to stick with his stance of telling the other clubs to fuck off.

Guest Retro Barker

They might have mutual respect, but its highly unlikely they've said not to get into a bidding war with each other imo.

As the Northeast clubs already pay a premium for players than the London clubs, due to location alone, dont you think that it makes sense not to go into a bidding contest?

I do, and it makes sense to me.

Guest Retro Barker

I might be wrong but I thought we tried to tap up a young kid from Boro.

No Nathan Porrit was offered by his agent (Peter harrison- A Geordie) it was Freddy shephered who alerted Boro of this fact

Guest Gemmill

I might be wrong but I thought we tried to tap up a young kid from Boro.

No Nathan Porrit was offered by his agent (Peter harrison- A Geordie) it was Freddy shephered who alerted Boro of this fact

Wasn't it Gibson who got in touch with Shepherd about it, and Shepherd told him he would deal with it and that it wouldn't happen again?  Pretty sure that's what Gibson said.

Another incident which seemed curious to me was last season, when Freddie ruled out going for Moyes as our new manager. His reason seemed to be that he had a good relationship with Kenwright, which he didn't want to spoil.

Now maybe he didn't want Moyes anyway, but it seemed an odd thing to say. Providing you go through the proper channels, there's nothing wrong with trying to get another club's manager.

Woodgate?

Aye, this one has me confused. But its was not a bidding war was it? Purely player preference

How about trying to out muscle Boro over Huth?

And if the relationship was that close, couldn't we have had a vague idea that our offer wouldn't have been enough for Viduka and saved the last minute debarcle with Milner?

Guest Gemmill

Woodgate?

Aye, this one has me confused. But its was not a bidding war was it? Purely player preference

And if the relationship was that close, couldn't we have had a vague idea that our offer wouldn't have been enough for Viduka and saved the last minute debarcle with Milner?

That was just comedy though. :lol:

*Huth's mobile rings*

"Ja"

"Robert.  Freddy Shepherd here.  Listen, I was...."

"You vill hev to be qvick Freddy.  I am about to do mein Middlesboro signing press conference."

"Oh."

"Vot did you vant Freddy."

"Oh.....erm.....nothing.  Nothing important.  Good luck with the press conference!"

Alot of the premiership chairman are buddies. It doesnt get in the way of signing players and going head to head.

Im sure there are gentlemans rules of war between the chairmen, but when it comes down to it I doubt it makes too much difference, if it betters their club they will more than likely do it.

Its very much a case of dont shit where you sleep. One thing normally affects everyone else.

Guest smoggeordie

No doubt in my mind whatsoever that if Roeder turned round and said "I want Woodgate this summer", then Fred would make sure Boro couldn't compete with our bid.

Woodgate?

That was just comedy though. :lol:

*Huth's mobile rings*

"Ja"

"Robert.  Freddy Shepherd here.  Listen, I was...."

"You vill hev to be qvick Freddy.  I am about to do mein Middlesboro signing press conference."

"Oh."

"Vot did you vant Freddy."

"Oh.....erm.....nothing.  Nothing important.  Good luck with the press conference!"

slight over exaggeration of the accent :lol: He's lived here since he was 15 and speaks better English than  English people  without the German accent  :icon_biggrin: