Linux

Guest cornish

Does any one use it?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does any one use it?

• Yes
    • No

Guest cornish

Been a suse user for a while now, and I was curious to know if there are any other geeks on here that use it and if so what distro do they use?

I used Mandrake for a few years, but well out of it now. I ran a few game servers and back then it was the weapon of choice.

suse's file system is pretty good.

You want to watch what you post, you'll have redhat users busting your balls  bluebiggrin.gif

Guest deathwish

im using windows at the moment but want to start using linux, can anyone give me any must know information or at least point in the right direction of getting some info? it would be much appreciated.

Guest cornish

First thing you need to do is download a distro, there are many different distros and everyone has there own opinion on which is the best.

I started on Mandrake now known as mandriva you can download a copy I belive from there website.

You can also get a magazine called linux format pretty dam good and often comes with a distro on the front. Install it on you PC, I installed mine on a 2nd HDD so I could keep windows for a bit.

The next thing you need to do is have a lot of time and patience, check out the http://www.linuxquestions.org for loads of information on how to get software running on it. For games use Cedega CSV (free version) or pay £2 per month to get a GUI version you can always cancel after the first month,

Thats a lot of info to start of with once you get started let me know how you are doing and if you need any help with it

• 1 year later...

Ubuntu is easy to use, literally created to be simple to install and a linux distribution a normal person might be able to live with. It also has a very active community willing to offer advice.

All very true.  Ubuntu is a great bridge to Linux

• 1 year later...

Big bump.

Got a netbook last week, came with a modified fedora on it. Was ok but for what I need (vpn etc) its not. Downloaded the fedora live cd but the kernel was corrupt in it. Install ubuntu now which should be interesting as all my previous linux knowledge (not a lot) has been on Redhat versions, so im used to yum rpm's etc. Ubuntu does look the business though, I have to give them that.

Well upgraded to the new beta, and everything works straight off. Some small issues with open arena randomly working or not, though I think thats down to the new kernel or something not working with the game than a driver issue.

Really decent piece of kit though I'm going to wait till the full release to do a dual boot on my desktop.

What are the actual reasons for wanting to run Linux rather than, say, Windows? Just the cost, or are there actually many advantages?

I'm an Mac OS person anyway, but just interested to know.

Well I've only got it on my netbook, as it gives me better battery life than windows. The Ubuntu server os is class, better than Windows server and its free. I've found that if something goes wrong its easy to get support as its a whole community thing, not a big company like MS. It does the same job as XP/vista but when its free, and if they release a new version that is free, thats the big draw. I have Dual boot on my pc atm though I can't be arsed to set up WINE to run my games in Ubuntu so I'm still running Windows most of the time.