Historical Ranking of English clubs

LooneyToonArmy

There is no account taken of when the points were scored so a team (i.e. Sunderland) could have scored most of their points at the start of the century but are still ranked high up today.

Explains it all!

Here's a better one (we're above them):

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/engalltime.html

(Top flight only). Good comparison too as, up until the end of last season, us and the Mackems had had the same number of seasons in the top division. It's an excellent site for stats btw.

Incidentally, re: the other one, I would argue that when the Mackems won their titles, the FA Cup was actually at least as big a trophy (if not bigger than the league title). Also, five points for the FA Cup, three points for the First Division? Are they taking the piss?

So being the sixth best English club of all time, should we be happy with the average 5th placed finishes we've had over the past ten years under Shepherd? Should we not be doing better than that.

Statistics would show Shepherd as being a merely average chairman.

There is no account taken of when the points were scored so a team (i.e. Sunderland) could have scored most of their points at the start of the century but are still ranked high up today.

Explains it all!

Does start of the century or 30 years ago really make any difference? It is all history and over and done with.

Except for stuff won in 1981 and 1982 which remains as relevant today as it ever was, of course.

;D