Simple Glenn Roeder poll

Guest BooBoo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There's probably been polls like this before, but whats the general feeling on Roeder? Do you envisage that we'll do any better than what we have done in his year in charge (ie become mid table drifters)? Personally after witnessing our shambolic season and two failed transfer windows i'd give him the heave ho. The bloke's sound enough, but has had a charisma bypass and is a totally unattractive prospect for players thinking about joining the club. I also fear that he's so happy to be in the job, he hasnt got the guts to stand up to Fred.

I do appreciate though the lack of managerial talent which is available, which is why i've included option 3.

Fatty and Ratty Out i'm afraid to say.

Guest Knightrider

He deserves a fair crack at the job and unless we can improve on him with someone significantly better, I'd like to see him get a fair crack at the job. He has exceeded my own (admittedly very low) expectations and I think he is the right man at this moment in time for this Newcastle United. How long that remains, is down to him. I'm not asking for much, I'll be happy if he were to get rid of the wasters and dead wood, bought sensibly to improve the squad and qualified us for the UEFA Cup. So far, he's very much on target. Of course I have a few complaints but I'm not going to be too critical, not until he can work with and select his strongest XI on a consistent basis that is. Something he hasn't been able to do since he took over, both as a caretaker and now as our manager, which would be the fairest time to judge him and should give us all a clearer picture as to where we are heading or not, unlike now.

HTT, with regard the injuries, its almost now a given that NUFC suffer crippling injuries. Robson, Souness and now Roeder have all had big injury lists. As Glenn says, they are not an excuse and its the managers and chairmans job to ensure the squad is strong enough to cope. Fair enough, we've had injuries to Babaayro, our first choice left back, but whose fault is it, that theres nobody capable of filling in, or preferably replacing the useless bugger full stop?

Guest Knightrider

HTT, with regard the injuries, its almost now a given that NUFC suffer crippling injuries. Robson, Souness and now Roeder have all had big injury lists. As Glenn says, they are not an excuse and its the managers and chairmans job to ensure the squad is strong enough to cope. Fair enough, we've had injuries to Babaayro, our first choice left back, but whose fault is it, that theres nobody capable of filling in, or preferably replacing the useless bugger full stop?

It is the manager's job to ensure we aren't hit too hard by injuries by building a squad capable enough to sustain such losses, something Roeder has failed on, however no-one can legislate for the sheer abnormal number of injuries we have picked up and no team could cope with such loses, regardless of squad size or quality. They could take one or two hits but not to a whole spine of a team and in our case, a full team out injured.

This isn't me excusing Roeder or the team, but being unable to train with and select from his strongest 11 on a regular basis will have a debilitating effect on results and especially performances.

And boy has it effected us, thankfully though we've somehow managed to scrape by. The key of course now, for Roeder, is to get rid of the injury prone players, improve facilities and sign players who aren't prone to injury, as well as added faces to cover for any losses all teams will encounter. I'm sure he knows this and will at least attempt to address the situation.

It is very rare that our Chairman speaks sense or makes a good point but when he recently said no manager, not even Fergie, could work wonders with our injury list, he was spot on. In fact Fergie reckons having a full squad to train and select from has allowed him to mount a serious challenge and to be key in their title chase.

As to whose fault it is, Roeder inherited a team not quite good enough to start with, a very small squad, and because of the previous manager's transfer spending, not a great deal of money either so while he is at fault for not stengthening enough, he isn't the root cause and anyway, you can't just fix a broken team like that, it takes time. And he has been in the job for only 1 year and in that year has been unable to train with (very important) or select from his strongest side on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't blind faith in Roeder or the big thumbs up, he should never have been handed the job in the first place because he isn't good enough to take us to where we need to be nor will he ever be, but he did get the job and it doesn't look like we are capable of appointing anyone significantly better at the moment or are in a position to do so. So until then he gets some patience for me, and a great deal of goodwill.

Would still like to see him with his own squad, tbh. I know the past transfer windows have been pathetic, but it'll be different in the summer. I will genuinely be surprised if he cocks up as massively as he has done in the last two. I want to see him with his own squad and his own team.

I don't think he's actually done anything to warrant a sacking, because the truth is, he has certainly taken us forward. We were talking about being 'in contention for' relegation in October this season, and it was silly talk. The difference with Souness was: we were still talking about it come February, and it was not silly talk - we were going down. That's where Glenn and Graeme are different, despite how the two often get compared.

Roeder may not be a brilliant manager and by no means am i a big fan, but he has taken us forward significantly since he has taken the job. And although i slate him at times for the odd thing, he deserves credit on the whole.

He infuriates me and the rest of us with his line-ups. The shiteness and barbaric decisions that he makes regarding line-ups are a fairly regular thing when we've got more than 11 first-teamers fit, and this for me, is the aspect that irritates me the most about him. That's my biggest gripe; his team selection's. However, that might change for the better in the future when (if) he gets his own team, in spite of us inevitably disagreeing.

To not even give him a full season would be absolute madness. Infact, unless we're really in the shit at some point next season, he should atleast run out his contract. However, if he finishes 7th, 11th, 10th (or something like that) in his two and a bit year contract, then there's no way it should be renewed. That would be a lack of ambition, similar to the Bramble-being-here-for-five-years joke, or even keeping Sibi on for more than another season.

It'd show a lack of ambition and settling for mediocrity - something Shepherd seems to do despite his 'best or nothing' crap to the media.

Verdict: Let him run out his contract at the very least, and see where we are at the end of next season, unless he does go really crap.

Besides, i like the sound of his transfer policy. It's the one that Bobby enforced - bring in young ones and build a team 'from scratch', for the future. I seriously hope he fulfills it and i have faith in him to do so.

He might have a bit of cash to spend in the summer aswell...

Get rid at the end of the season.

Why do you say that? Not having a go, would just like to hear your reasoning.

BTW, i think the poll should maybe have one or two more options. Such as this one that Baggio has suggested. Or the one that i suggested: see where we are at the end of his contract...

Might be too late though, cos there's already been 40 votes. Just a suggestion, though.

He is a safe bet to keep us in the league with an outside chance of getting Europe (ie intertwobob or scraping 6th with a bit of luck) but if we want to progress we need better. He doesn't seem very confident in the transfer window, gives false hope to the fans which gets them on his back and makes some baffling decisions at times (Carr left back!).

If we have NO money then we may aswell keep him because I don't think we would do much better with anyone else and no-one who would be an improvement would come.

Roeder isn't good enough for where we want to be, he's done nothing to make me think that he's going to be any better than mediocre at best.  A below average appointment who is doing nothing to take the club forward, or at least it looks that way.

His transfer activity leaves a lot to be desired and his team selection has been piss poor, certain players are getting too many chances at a cost to our league position, he's clueless.

I wouldn't sack him at the minute because the options are limited for a replacement and we'd more than likely screw it up even if better options were available.

That’s just my opinion but I’ll stick with it until or unless proven wrong, I’d love to be wrong.

He makes mistakes (name a manager that doesn't) but I think he's done a fairly decent job of steadying the ship, after the shambles in which Souness left the club. However, he's clearly not good enough if we have aspirations of anything other than mid-table mediocrity, but in all honesty, we have little or no chance of attracting a 'world class' manager anymore.

Roeder is not the major problem at this club.

He makes mistakes (name a manager that doesn't) but I think he's done a fairly decent job of steadying the ship, after the shambles in which Souness left the club. However, he's clearly not good enough if we have aspirations of anything other than mid-table mediocrity, but in all honesty, we have little or no chance of attracting a 'world class' manager anymore.

Roeder is not the major problem at this club.

unless the toon go down the swannee on the pitch yoda will keep his job and we as you say fall behind even more and owen and given etc will jump ship because of that .roeder  has to be very careful in the summer because if we fail to qualify for europe we will find it really hard to attract TOP CLASS players .as everyone knows most players want to play in europe and not just play domestic games so mr shepherd sort it out and back your manager and lets go from there .

I also think that we should only replace him with someone of certified pedigree. I think if we give him resources in the summer he may turn us around, I would like to be pleasantly surprised...

The thing that worries me is his lack of "pulling power", what players, decent ones, would want to come and play for Glenn Roeder???? This is my main worry at the moment. Also some of his glaring mistakes in the defesive line ups of our team, he seems to go for senior players although they are crap and this annoys.

he is average manager,not to say poor if you look at his record

i want him out of our club because with him we'll be no more then a mid table team

i voted for keep him because after we sack him there is going to find another one who is better than him and i cant see anyone who can do i better job then him...

unless Shearer maybe ;D ;D

Get rid.

Yes, we are not a big enough club to get a "world class" manager, but that doesn't mean we should accept a completely awful one.

We are an average club, we should at the very least have an average manager. Not the shite we have for the current (and indeed last) one.

He's simply not good enough and i'm still struggling to understand why anyone thought he was at the time of his appointment. I'd say it's best to get rid of him asap and give the new manager time to assess the squad so we don't have yet another panicked transfer window in the Summer. The depressing reality is, Roeder will probaly be here until his contracts expires and then Shearer will takeover.

These polls are always fecked unless you have a simple yes and no.

I've explained the reasoning behind three options in the original post.

Guest Darth Toon

No real point changing the manager under the current regime IMO, unless we're ever in real danger of going down, or in the unlikely event of someone like Mourinho deciding he fancies a real challenge.

Otherwise we would just end up with either another Souness-style disaster, or at best another like-for-like appointment, bit like West Ham replacing Pardew with Curbishley - I mean, is there actually any difference between the 2 of them??  :idiot2:

Glenn is OK for mid-table safety and a push for Europe if we can keep more than half the squad fit - anything more than that will take a lot more than a new manager to achieve.

the good thing about roeder is its proberly in his contract that he just steps down back into his acadamy role....we wont have to sack him

These polls are always fecked unless you have a simple yes and no.

I've explained the reasoning behind three options in the original post.

But you never get the 'true' feeling as many just sit on the fence with an option like 3.