HD Question

Slim

Surely its the same file..... My divx player uses the exact same codecs as my pc  :undecided:

It won't work, I don't think.  It loses quality when recorded from the TV, as it's being compressed heavily in order to keep the file size down.  Don't quote me on that, but I think that's the case and why it doesn't work.

Surely its the same file..... My divx player uses the exact same codecs as my pc  :undecided:

It won't work, I don't think.  It loses quality when recorded from the TV, as it's being compressed heavily in order to keep the file size down.  Don't quote me on that, but I think that's the case and why it doesn't work.

That is basically it Bluf.

Surely its the same file..... My divx player uses the exact same codecs as my pc :undecided:

It won't work, I don't think. It loses quality when recorded from the TV, as it's being compressed heavily in order to keep the file size down. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's the case and why it doesn't work.

That is basically it Bluf.

:thup:

Should stop adding "I think", or something, to everything thing when I know I'm right. :tickedoff:

EDIT: Whoops. :lol:

Not really true Bluf.

High definition refers to the physical resolution of the file/DVD picture itself. You need a DVD player that can output in that resolution and a screen capable of displaying all of the pixels/lines. The method of compression doesn't really matter, as DVD is compressed anyway, as is HD-DVD, as is Blu-Ray.

I'm not sure if there is a divx enabled HD-DVD player on the market yet.

But when you're recording it on to the computer, you're recording it to a reduced resolution, so you're compressing it more. You're not compressing it to the same resolution as the TV, the file would be massive, surely. I've never recorded TV on to the PC, so I could be wrong.

Its the toss up between and HDMI dvd player or a blue lazer dvd player, the blue lazer ones will playt he HD dvd's, where as the HDMI dvd players only have an HDMI output that will increase dvd quality but is not true HD.

I went for the HDMI dvd recorder, as there are not many actual HD dvd's out, its something that did not really take off.

I seen a HD rip at 720dp but it was 1.2 gig for a 40 min prog.

Any of the new graphics cards have HD out ? I think that would wortk if there are HDMI graphics cards out now, aint looked for ages at new hardware so not to sure.

I'm not 100% certain but if you output any graphics card into an HD panel you're in HD, whatever the connection. You'd be looking at Windows in whatever your resolution is. Providing the video quality is of sufficient resolution itself then you're fine.

I'm not 100% certain but if you output any graphics card into an HD panel you're in HD, whatever the connection. You'd be looking at Windows in whatever your resolution is. Providing the video quality is of sufficient resolution itself then you're fine.

......meanwhile back on planet earth.. :lol:

• 2 years later...

I've always had trouble playing any HD files I import from my camcorder.  Sony say I should remove all free codecs.

I assume this is caused by a codec pack I installed ages ago and I don't need to delete all of them.

Is it safe to go System>Hardware>Device Manager>Sound, Video and Game Controllers>Video Codecs>Properties

and remove them all so I can stard from scratch installing just xvid.  Or do I need to take more care than that to avoid fucking up my system?