SJP to host Champions League football this season?

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Champions League football could be returning to Tyneside next month, after it was confirmed that St.James' Park is one of the grounds under consideration to host the upcoming AC Milan versus Celtic tie.

New measures being implemented in Italy after the recent disturbances on Sicily mean that Milan would only be able to host the tie (scheduled for March 7th) at home behind closed doors.

However the Serie A side are now reported as actively seeking an alternative venue, with vice-president Adriano Galliani commenting:

"It's obvious we want to play at the San Siro with open doors and as far as the Champions League is concerned, yesterday I spoke to Platini and we are free to play at home, maybe behind closed doors, or away.

"Geneva and Newcastle have offered to let us play there. I think it's fundamentally unjust to close a stadium like the San Siro on which we have already spent 20 million euros for works which are never-ending."

The Glasgow club have played friendly matches on Tyneside twice in the last decade (Beardsley and Shearer testimonials).

Guest smoggeordie

I say f*** celtic.

I say if it sells out its a whole lot of extra income

I say to Fat Fred's pockets.

Clubs pockets tbh

Guest smoggeordie

FOLLOWING reports that St. James' Park could be considered as a venue for the Champions League game between AC Milan and Glasgow Celtic scheduled for Wednesday, March 7, Newcastle United has issued the following statement:

"We did receive an enquiry about this possibility although logistically there are several difficulties.

"The calendar shows a home fixture in the UEFA Cup 24 hours later if we qualify for the last 16."

It wont happen because we might possibly be playing 24 hours later and we dont want the pitch wrecked, also its alot of money for Milan fans to pay to get here.

Although, brownie points that will swing in our favour when we swoop for Kaká and Pirlo in the summer!  ;)