Edgar?

Keefaz

What's the score with this lad? Has looked the best of the recent reserve recruitments, imo, but hasn't seen a game. Better than Carr at LB, surely? Surely? Looks like he's got a cool head and seems to have that little bit of quality that Huntington, Ramage, etc. seem to lack.

i agree, he plays with more intelligence and has more class on the ball than our english defenders. perhaps he looked less promising in the reserves and academy, but these aren't always the best platforms for judging how a player will cope with top flight footie. reasons why he isn't getting in the team/squad? he needs more upper-body strength and isn't the fastest, but you can say the exact same thing about Huntington and Ramage (and even Moore).

Guest andynufc84

Agreed, out of all the young players that have come through he has looked the best

Better prospect than Taylor I would say

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Agree, has looked more composed and confident than huntington and what conserns Ramage I wont add him to this debate since he is 23 and has obviously no talent at all. Cant really figure out Huntington since he is very different from game to game, but ofc he is still young....

Though I'll prefer we play baba on LB now that it seems he will be in the squad for the Liverpool game.

I'd certainly like to see him keeping Ramage--who's got very little going for him--off the subs bench. See how much more composed the back four were against West Ham when Ramage had to come off and Edgar replaced him.

Agreed.  I thought that Edgar showed enough class to deserve a little run of games, different class to Ramage and showed more maturity than Hunty though I think that Hunty will blossom a bit later. Typical of Roeder really, like, how the hell does Duff keep his place, Why does he get chance after chance and Luque gets nothing,how does Carr get a game and so it goes on

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Agreed, out of all the young players that have come through he has looked the best

Better prospect than Taylor I would say

Hasnt got near the strength and command of the air as Taylor and I dont think he will ever be as talented as him, but still he can delevop into a decent defender I hope.

I'd certainly like to see him keeping Ramage--who's got very little going for him--off the subs bench. See how much more composed the back four were against West Ham when Ramage had to come off and Edgar replaced him.

that substition changed the match in our favour, the assurance radiated out from the back through the whole team. though i'd say that was as much down to getting Ramage off the pitch than anything else.

Agreed.  I thought that Edgar showed enough class to deserve a little run of games, different class to Ramage and showed more maturity than Hunty though I think that Hunty will blossom a bit later. Typical of Roeder really, like, how the hell does Duff keep his place, Why does he get chance after chance and Luque gets nothing,how does Carr get a game and so it goes on

great - let's have another go at the luque shite again  :uglystupid2:

Has he only played the 1 game this season against man u or has he played more? I can't remember....Cause he was amazing against man utd as we all saw...but that could have been one of those times where you are pumped enough...first home game...playing against biggest club in england with your dad watching....

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

great - let's have another go at the luque s**** again  :uglystupid2:

OMG I wish we had offloaded Luque in the transfer window. Guess what Luques "word on forum/min played" rate is :p

Edgar isn't as good as Taylor but this season he has been alot better than Huntington in the reserve games they've played in.  Last season i would've said Hunty was the better player but this season Edgar has came on and improved while Hunty hasn't reached the heights of last season.  From what i can see Roeder seems to have decided that he rates Hunty as a better prospect and is playing him first despite Edgar on current form performing better.

It won't be the first time though that NUFC fail to see the potential in a player,  after all Malaga saw something in the lad almost 3 seasons ago after seeing him for 90 mins during a friendly!!

that substition changed the match in our favour, the assurance radiated out from the back through the whole team. though i'd say that was as much down to getting Ramage off the pitch than anything else.

bit unfair on Ramage as he was injured mate but you are right that the change it made was huge, Edgar isn't as physically strong as Taylor but he has more pace, better distribution and composure. Looks really good I think.

He looks semi-decent, especially given the fact he isn't a left back.

what I liked most in the back four generally was the way they held their line, pushed up, won the ball and passed it cleanly forward. Especially Edgar. They were authotive and it was obvious that Huntingdon and Edgar had played together.

There is nothing better for a defence to play together and develop understanding. A back four who has this, courage, communication and determination will always be half decent, even before you look at the quality of the footballer.

He looks semi-decent, especially given the fact he isn't a left back.

what I liked most in the back four generally was the way they held their line, pushed up, won the ball and passed it cleanly forward. Especially Edgar. They were authotive and it was obvious that Huntingdon and Edgar had played together.

There is nothing better for a defence to play together and develop understanding. A back four who has this, courage, communication and determination will always be half decent, even before you look at the quality of the footballer.

Spot on  :thup:

Perhaps there is a possibility that Roeder sees Edgar as being the best of Huntington, Ramage and Edgar, but opts to play the other two knowing that in the long-run, the other trwo wont make it, while a slowly-bled David Edgar could potentially become a Newcastle great?

Everyone on here seems impressed with Edgar, pity he's not playing in front of Hunty and Ramage.

However we instantly looked more settled with Edgar slotting in alongside his reserve partner Huntington in central defence.

The sponsors announced Milner as the man of the match, but our vote would have gone to Edgar for showing some of the poise and aggression that was missing in the early stages - and being able to successfully pass to his own side.

Then, Edgar's appearance had steadied our flailing defence and formed the basis of our response against a side below us in the table.

Perhaps there is a possibility that Roeder sees Edgar as being the best of Huntington, Ramage and Edgar, but opts to play the other two knowing that in the long-run, the other trwo wont make it, while a slowly-bled David Edgar could potentially become a Newcastle great?

What, and playing him now is somehow going to hinder him? Don't agree with that.

Playing a team falling apart with fans ready to crucify you after one mistake. Not an atmosphere for any youngster to come into. Might as well destroy the worse youngsters for the time being, and bring Edgar along for the sunnier climes.

Playing Edgar would be more of a benefit to him than having him on the bench. Our fans don't get on the youngsters back as long as they give 100%. Everyone might call Ramage shit but they certainly don't boo him at the match cos they appreciate his heart is in it, even when he hasn't got much else to offer. And why would Roeder risk his job on playing inferior players for the good of one individual in the long term (even though your theory is very wrong imo). If Roeder really thought Edgar was the best of the bunch he would put him in the team for the good of the team. And if he thought Edgar would make the defence much better then he would put him in because he thought he would be solid enough so nobody would feel the need to get on his back. He obviously rates Huntington higher.

I've been very impressed with Edgar though from the few games he's player. He looks very comfortable on the ball and doesn't panic. Huntington has been decent. I think Huntington needs to be loaned out down a division or two to toughen up though.

I agree with everyone her that Edgar has looked good when he has played.

Therefore I can´t understand that Roeder thinks Hunt, Carr and Ramage are ahead of him. Especielly Hunt and Ramage should be behined him!

I also get very upset about Roeder and how he get favorites. Playing Ramage game after game for example even if he´s s*** 11 of 10 games. But player like Luque (I´M not defending Luque and saying that he should play more. But it is the way Roeder is thinking I´m comment) he only gives one or MAEBY two games!

Playing a team falling apart with fans ready to crucify you after one mistake. Not an atmosphere for any youngster to come into. Might as well destroy the worse youngsters for the time being, and bring Edgar along for the sunnier climes.

The treasures of anti-management.