Sky Sports News leaving Freeview

Dave

Noticed on Toontastic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6343715.stm

Sky's top shows to go terrestrial

Sky is to make some of its most popular programmes, movies and sports available on digital terrestrial television.

The four channels on the new service will offer a range of shows for a monthly subscription from this summer.

Viewers will receive them through a normal TV aerial, with a new set-top box, rather than satellite or cable.

Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News will disappear from Freeview to make way. Media regulator Ofcom must approve the plans before they go ahead.

Content including live Premiership football and other big sporting events will be available on the new service, along with movies, news and entertainment.

'More choice'

More information about which channels will be made available, pricing and the programmes on offer, will be available nearer the launch.

But it will mean Sky channels, including Sky News, will no longer be available for free on Freeview.

"We look forward to bringing some of Sky's most popular content to digital terrestrial viewers," Sky's chief operating officer Mike Darcey said.

"This will give families more choice and increase the availability of leading content and channel brands," he added.

It is not the first time Sky has ventured into the digital terrestrial market - some content, including live Premiership games, was on digital terrestrial television (DTT) between 1998 and 2002.

Pay-TV battle

Sky will replace its three existing DTT channels with four new 24-hour streams using the more efficient Mpeg4 compression technology.

The company hopes a range of set-top box manufacturers will start making receivers with compatible software once the service has launched.

The announcement came on the same day that Sky's cable rival NTL/Telewest relaunched under the name Virgin Media.

Virgin Media is offering customers a number of TV, broadband, and both fixed-line and mobile phone services.

It is also promising an on-demand TV channel, Virgin Central, which will make shows like The OC, Nip/Tuck, West Wing and Little Britain available at the touch of a button.

News of the Sky service also follows a decision by pay-TV company Setanta to broadcast some Premiership matches on DTT for £10.99 a month from next season.

I hope this cuts out lots of the transfer rumour bollocks. ;)

Guest nufc_geordie

So will the poor people have to get TWO boxes now, or stop spending their giros on Space Raiders and meths long enough to pay for Sky properly?

When you wake up in the real world mate, it isn't just the doll wallers who haven't got "real sky", I am a PhD Student and I don't have that much cash, i've got a mortgage to pay and car payments and bills to meet. Getting "real" sky is not a viable option as I can't afford it, taking away SSN and Sky News etc. just takes the p*ss.

So will the poor people have to get TWO boxes now, or stop spending their giros on Space Raiders and meths long enough to pay for Sky properly?

When you wake up in the real world mate, it isn't just the doll wallers who haven't got "real sky", I am a PhD Student and I don't have that much cash, i've got a mortgage to pay and car payments and bills to meet. Getting "real" sky is not a viable option as I can't afford it, taking away SSN and Sky News etc. just takes the p*ss.

Sorry - Dole Wallahs and Dirty Students. Better?

Guest nufc_geordie

A PhD student isn't as dirty as a regular student, I earn a living and am not a tax dodger unfortunately, just the money aint that good!

Sky is pretty pricey though. Think it's £43/month or something for mine atm.

I get the SKy+ Multiroom thing. Not sure what it costs, £50 or £60-odd quid. But Multiroom is a MUST if you have kids. Little remote-thieving gets.

Me too. Sky + is the one home gadget I honestly couldn't live without.

Sky is pretty pricey though. Think it's £43/month or something for mine atm.

If you've been with them for a while, ring them up saying you want to cancel as you can't afford sky and other bills etc.............I did and they dropped the price by 25% for a year with no further tie-in.

cavemen.. just get sky

got it up north but not at my house down here

just get a really big cable & multiroom that bad boy.

... p.s. i don't know where you live.

mid/north northumberland and north/central london