Arsenal buy-out / Rapids link-up

Nobby

Major League Soccer team Colorado Rapids is reportedly set to announce a training partnership with English Premier League side Arsenal.

Arsenal declined to comment on the report in Friday's edition of British daily The Independent.

The Rapids said on its Web site that "a groundbreaking international soccer partnership and major club identity changes" would be unveiled at a news conference scheduled for 2000 GMT Friday.

On Thursday, the Rapids said its team would be at Arsenal's training center in London in March.

Under the partnership, the clubs would play friendlies against each other and also collaborate on coaching initiatives and player development, the report said. The MLS club could also change its name to Colorado Arsenal or Arsenal Colorado, and its strip to Arsenal's colors.

Arsenal's three major shareholders are not looking to sell the club, although Rapids owner Stanley Kroenke is interested, The Independent said.

Kroenke, a real estate magnate, owns NBA side Denver Nuggets and NHL team Colorado Avalanche. He also co-owns NFL team St. Louis Rams.

George Gillett Jr. and Tom Hicks are became the next Americans to own a Premier League club after the Liverpool board announced Tuesday it backed their takeover bid.

Malcolm Glazer, who owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, took control of Manchester United in 2005, while Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner took over Aston Villa in September.

http://tinypic.com/2nairnb.jpg

We should do this!

and new york is owned by Red Bull anyways...

New York United, New York Toon, New York equivalent of an apparently cursed team, I don't give a damn. Anything but the Red Bulls. Have you <i>seen</i> those uniforms?!

actually, as a RB's fan, i don't mind the strips so much. its pretty much just like having redbull as a super sponser.

but seeing as how NORAD (north american aerospace defense command) is in colorado, i wouldnt mind seeing 'colorado nuclear arsenal' (pauses for laughs) [insert smiley which used to be on the old board which depicted an akward exit]

It would be United not Newcastle

How the hell would you know that? And that would just be the silliest thing since a general had to intervene in Monty Python sketches cos things were getting too silly. George bush would probably think that the club was affiliated with Torquay United.

It would be United not Newcastle

How the hell would you know that? And that would just be the silliest thing since a general had to intervene in Monty Python sketches cos things were getting too silly. George bush would probably think that the club was affiliated with Torquay United.

A team called United in black and white stipes, with a nickname of The Magpies tbh

and new york is owned by Red Bull anyways...

New York United, New York Toon, New York equivalent of an apparently cursed team, I don't give a damn. Anything but the Red Bulls. Have you <i>seen</i> those uniforms?!

actually, as a RB's fan, i don't mind the strips so much. its pretty much just like having redbull as a super sponser.

but seeing as how NORAD (north american aerospace defense command) is in colorado, i wouldnt mind seeing 'colorado nuclear arsenal' (pauses for laughs) [insert smiley which used to be on the old board which depicted an akward exit]

The logo is... man. I can't even put it into words.  It looks as if it was ironed on a T-shirt. If you're trying to grow a league, you would think the team in the biggest market in the nation would get something better than that. Honestly, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old Metrostars look.

Will Arsenal loan players to Colorado, or is this just another Chelsea/LA kind of thing?

looks like they won't be wearing these colours anymore

http://www.coloradorapids.com/Images/NewsImages/2006Jersey.gifhttp://www.mlsnet.com/imgs/bios/photos/405x250_cor.gif

Did you really need to slow down everyones page loading times by posting those images?

I liked the old Metros look, i own the last jersey produced under the metro name.  But as for new york as a team in general, they've been neglected as a franchise (despite as you say being in the largest market) while D.C and LA have become the favored league teams.  Mike, are you from the states?

Yeah. I've never been a massive fan of the Metrostars/Red Bulls, But I try to keep up with what's going on with the team.

from the NY area?

Should do it with the New England Revolution. Make them Boston Newcastle or something like that, and hopefully move them into metropolitan Boston. They could play at... at.... umm.. Harvard Stadium? :p

They never win anything either, and the weather is just as bad. Perfect fit tbh.

looks like they won't be wearing these colours anymore

PICS

Did you really need to slow down everyones page loading times by posting those images?

get a faster computer

Get lessons in politeness please.

oh yeah, for my 2 cents about the possible name change; I think its a bad idea, espescially for a league trying to establish itself in the world of football.  I would love to see some more english connections within the american league in terms of marketing to promote the league, but I really don't like the idea of having an Arsenal team in the states that has no historic connection to the real team.stupid idea.

Guest Hibbits left foot

Fuck America and their stupid fuckin attemps to get their mitts on OUR NATIONAL GAME lets nuke the fuckers!