David Lynch.

Parky

Guest The Shaman

Twin Peaks & Blue Velvet were class. Everything else is shit imo.

Haven't seen the one featuring the actress from The Ring, 21 Grams & King Kong.

Jim Jarmusch - spelling's probably incorrect - is the modern day Lynch...... another "hit-and-miss" film maker.

Peaks and Velvet are the benchmark agreed.

The film missing with 'the 21grams girl' is imo his most powerful work: 'Mullholland Drive".

It is deeply unsettling with a dark undertow that will play with your mental landscape.

I cannot agree with what you say about Jarmusch's work, his work is irrelevant and a purveyor

of small candies (although delicious) that can probably best found in tarted up cigarette shops.

F*king hell. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to me. Where I'm interested or thinking about something particular in my life, and I casually log into this board and see a topic on it.

Some Lynch-ian fate of sorts, for sure.

I just watched Lost Highway the other day, and I watched Mullholland Dr. when it came out and was absolutely blown away. To say that he's talented is an understatement, as he is a master at work who's in command of every frame he shoots, cuts or throws away.

But yeah, as far as Jarmusch goes, the man's a God. No f*king doubt. Seen everything by him.

I also have been watching a lot of Linklater of late (again) as A Scanner Darkly is coming out - finally - this year.

Good time for independent cinema finally, as the 90s' movement is finally reaping its rewards.

As Godard battled famously for providing the art of filmmaking to the proletarians and not only to the studios and the elite, I think we've almost achieved his vision, if not surpassed it, with the digital revolution and the industry-changing movement of the 90s.

I watch the odd Jarmusch (my girlfriend likes his stuff). But you can't really mention him in the same breath as Lynch. Who is probably the greatest Director still working.

Although his last film with puppy face in it was an improvement on the black and white with fags and art college beer.

I watch the odd Jarmusch (my girlfriend likes his stuff). But you can't really mention him in the same breath as Lynch. Who is probably the greatest Director still working.

Although his last film with puppy face in it was an improvement on the black and white with fags and art college beer.

Aye, different directors, I admit, but then you can't mention Lynch in the same breath as Kubrick, Welles etc., and so on.

I think the beauty is their individualities shining through on screen. As it should be for all artists.

It's good to have an alternative to the 70% of Hollywood crap that comes out each year, though. That's what, it can be argued, what real cinema is. An industry that has the sludge and the slush ;).

Those you mention are dead so we can't compare to Lynch, that was my point about living director.

Although my recent re-vists of Wells have not been so rewarding.

Saw an excellent quote on Lynch.."Is he working in Hollywood or is Hollywood working within him". That is

so Mullholland Drive. :tongue3:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

:director:or dictator of the senses?

I think Blue Velvet is ok, didn't particularly scare me but maybe that's because I have met Dennis Hopper in real life at a charity golf event. He is a very nice man. Coincidentally, Richard Pryor has a cameo in one of his later films when his MS had developed quite a bit, I haven't seen it, maybe it's best I don't.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I didn't find it very powerful, I have heard of people getting a hernia just from watching that film but this didn't occur with me.

:director:or dictator of the senses?

I think Blue Velvet is ok, didn't particularly scare me but maybe that's because I have met Dennis Hopper in real life at a charity golf event. He is a very nice man. Coincidentally, Richard Pryor has a cameo in one of his later films when his MS had developed quite a bit, I haven't seen it, maybe it's best I don't.

That would be Lost Highway. He's Pete's boss in a garage.

Sad to see him that way, not to mention the burn scars that left his skin looking like that. Absolute legend.

• 7 months later...

"Though, since Sitges is a huge fantasy film festival in Europe, StudioCanal felt the film would play so well among hardcore Lynch fans, it would make it that much harder to persuade Lynch to cut down the pic's running time which, honestly, desperately needs some trimming."

I hate it when these reviewer types start bleeting about films needing cutting. In all reality who the fuck are they??! :wullie:

"Though, since Sitges is a huge fantasy film festival in Europe, StudioCanal felt the film would play so well among hardcore Lynch fans, it would make it that much harder to persuade Lynch to cut down the pic's running time which, honestly, desperately needs some trimming."

I hate it when these reviewer types start bleeting about films needing cutting. In all reality who the fuck are they??! :wullie:

They're failed writers and directors, who are under the delusion that they failed because the world is crap, rather than they are.