Linux

garth

Can anybody give me some advice on Linux, is it easy to use? can you use it on sites that require internet explorer or Firefox? if you can't are there downloads you can use to help you? I've been thinking about changing from Microsoft to Linux but I absolutely know nothing about it or should I stay with Windows XP?.

Download a Linux Live CD, a Linux that runs entirely from the CD and requires no partitioning, formatting etc. You still have Windows, and you have Linux whenever you insert the CD, it's useful for a try out to see if you like it.

Examples:

http://www.knoppix.net/about.php

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

http://kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng

Or choose from this list:

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

It's easy to use until you get a problem.

Some good problems: Getting a Logitech mouse to work properly, getting Belkin Wireless cards to work.

Yeah I have the same problem with Belkin, you have to trawl through forums to get advice, only to find out that it doesn't solve the problem and you have to find a compatible card...which is also another problem.

• 6 months later...
Guest WalkervilleMag

Linux is cool. obviously for most it is best to stay with windows, as 99% of programs are compatible with windows, where some are not with Linux.  I like the way that you can get round windows passwords through linux, if you have both on a harddrive.

I also have a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot at home and I can't remember the last time I logged into Windows. Ubuntu is a piece of cake, no need to use terminal to install any programs just use the software library and it's one click, my Logitech mouse works without any problems now though that did take a bit of work. It picked up my wireless network without any problems and I was straight on the internet. Can use any Windows programs if I really have to using Wine but to be honest I only use that for CSS which plays a hell of alot quicker through Linux than on Windows which I think is funny.

Open Office could do with a bit of work but it's free and does the job of office without to many problems. I guess you have to ask what you use your computer for to decide whether to use Linux or not or if it's worth your hassle (depending on hardware you may have hassle but then the same is true of Windows Vista unless you buy a PC with Windows Vista already installed).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Just finished booting Arch. Complete Linux noob here so the learning and curve is steep - no gui etc.

Anyone else use Arch or a similar distro? Loving it so far

I use Linux Mint on a Fujitsu laptop and it`s f***ing mint

I have Mint on a desktop at home, but never get home to use it....seemed canny

Arch is hardcore....struggling to get wifi set up, but it's real satisfying when things start to come together!

Fuck me. Talk about in at the deep end …

Stick with it. If you make it through to getting a useable system up and running, you'll have learnt a massive amount about how operating systems work.

It's especially worth learning a bit of OS scripting (on Linux, that'd be bash, Python, Ruby, a bit of all of 'em). Opens up massive new horizons.

f*** me. Talk about in at the deep end …

Stick with it. If you make it through to getting a useable system up and running, you'll have learnt a massive amount about how operating systems work.

It's especially worth learning a bit of OS scripting (on Linux, that'd be bash, Python, Ruby, a bit of all of 'em). Opens up massive new horizons.

Yes it's feckin tough going! Had to start again on another laptop so I've got xfce running but wifi is still a pin in the arse :lol

I have the correct drivers and i've got the device scanning for networks! it keeps timing out trying to connect to my network though....i'll get it eventually :D

A question: I'm starting to learn Python as my first programming language.

Good idea or bad idea?

It seems a lot of people use python for scripting on linux and it's a fairly easy to read objected orientated language, so I figured it'd be a decent start.

I don't want to be a programmer....but I would like to be able to do basic scripting in a number of languages - bash, python, pearl, ruby, java.

f***ing archlinux is the s*** though...all the customisation, man, and no bloody sh*te cloggin up your OS, just the packages I want/need!!!

:megusta: