Oba looked good yesterday

Guest Phil K

I was very disappointed by Kuyt, he works very hard of course and packs a mean shot as well as being decent enough in linking up play but for that money I'd expect more class which he just doesn't seem to possess, at all. He's all industry and graft. He's no different to many strikers in the league in many ways and not even a step above Crouch. Decent player but nowt special and fairly average in the grande scheme of top strikers, by some distance. Glad we never bought him now and spent the money on Martins instead. Mind he'd make a decent partner for someone like Martins so if Liverpool could find such a player they could have a devastating attack. I can't see him and Bellamy being too effective, a very poor man's Shearer-Bellamy type of partnership where as him and Crouch as a partnership lack any pace and guile. If they get a few quid to spend I think they'll rethink their strikeforce and I can see Kuyt ending up as back-up and featuring heavily on the bench a lot.

I think this is being a little harsh. Of course Kuyt is a blue-collar kind of player, we all knew that, but he is a fairly classy blue-collar player. From what I've seen of him he can dribble a little bit, pass the ball around well, has good movement. I saw him play a few fantastic passes when in Holland so I think he has pretty good vision. I was on a Liverpool fansite earlier checking out a report on the Toon match and for the season his ratings from both the website and public polls were just second only to Gerrard, and miles ahead of third place. Of course fansites aren't always the most accurate in this regard, perhaps some Reds fans can give a more in-depth perspective.

I haven't seen much of Liverpool this season tbh, but I wouldn't expect him and Bellamy to be quite the sum of their parts. Both like to get involved in build up play and Bellamy especially likes to work the flanks. As such I would expect they are often missing the guy getting onto the end of things and at the near post. Bellamy seems to work better with a central line-leader so I would think he would work better with Crouch. Kuyt, I expect, would work best with a real poacher in front of him, which is why I think he and Owen would be great together.

Any 2 of Martins, Kuyt and Berbatov would make excellent partnership.

Kuyt and Berbatov would be a poor partnership surely.

Why? Both are comfortable to strike and support. They would be very unpredictable and very hard to mark if they play together - appearing all over the pitch and switching roles frequently ala Saha/Rooney.