Soccernet Prem Review: Feb 10

Guest Samkk

This soccernet writer must be a Liverpool fan

A controversial penalty gave Newcastle a 2-1 win over Liverpool at a soaked St James' Park.

Liverpool scored the opener when goalkeeper Steve Harper's terrible clearance fell to Jermaine Pennant, who fed Craig Bellamy, and the controversial forward slammed home.

But another goalkeeping error gifted Newcastle an equaliser. Jose Reina rushed out to clear the ball but only succeeded in hitting defender Daniel Agger, allowing Obafemi Martins to slot home.

After the away side wasted several chances the Magpies turned the game on its head when Nolberto Solano scored from the spot, after John Arne Riise fouled Steven Taylor and the defender was happy to go to ground.:

I hate him

Guest smoggeordie

A controversial penalty gave Newcastle a 2-1 win over Liverpool at a soaked St James' Park.

Liverpool scored the opener when goalkeeper Steve Harper's terrible clearance fell to Jermaine Pennant, who fed Craig Bellamy, and the controversial forward slammed home.

But another goalkeeping error gifted Newcastle an equaliser. Jose Reina rushed out to clear the ball but only succeeded in hitting defender Daniel Agger, allowing Obafemi Martins to slot home.

After the away side wasted several chances the Magpies turned the game on its head when Nolberto Solano scored from the spot, after John Arne Riise fouled Steven Taylor and the defender was happy to go to ground.:

I hate him

Me too. Let's burn him at the stake.

Guest Ridzuan

Whatever it is,the match is over.He could talk all he wants but it wont change anything.However,I admit that I thought Taylor did go to ground too easily for my liking but even so,Riise didnt got the ball and tripped Taylor instead in the penalty box,a penalty offence in my view.

Guest scottfx

TBH it was nearly as good as when Taylor made a amazing save with his hands then went down holding his head last season.

Was a penalty in my opinion but he did go down easy... just following a trend thoughout the prem now though dont you think. 

Guest SmileyCulture

To be honest pundits/critics do this to use week in, week out. Noone out there including shearer think were any good what so ever so as soon as we take down one of the big four they look for things to pick at to somehow make the win somehow unjustified.

The fact is it was a penalty and Liverpool could'nt finnish a cooked dinner. We took our chances and  came away with the win and at the end of the day thats all that matters. On the pitch we looked easily as good as Liverpool and considering the weather it really should have been to their advantage with the likes of crouch to play the long ball to.

yes definitely a dive, it looks like right after he's got a cheeky smile on his face and whispers in parker's ear about how he's won it. still a pen though as Riise makes contact with his standing foot. Taylor was also "fouled" right before that too, but cos it was outside the box, he stayed on his feet!

Guest andynufc84

I hate him

Wot a load of sh*t that article is, Taylor could have went down seconds earlier after being fouled by Sissoko - but he stayed on his feet.

It was a stone wall penalty, you could tell by Riise's reaction, there was definately contact, its a foul, its a pen. Simple

Riise left his foot there and Taylor made contact with the foot. Riise didnt complain and Taylor jumped straight back up after he went down ( i thought he was about to do his Forrest Gump impression for a second). He went down easily, but you see penalties like Ronaldo v Tottenham and the Zokora vs Pompy where there is no contact. A pen imo.

Wot a load of sh*t that article is, Taylor could have went down seconds earlier after being fouled by Sissoko - but he stayed on his feet.

How does that support your argument exactly? He didn't go down because that challenge wasn't in the box!

For me it was close on a penaly scale of 1 to 10 .... 10 being stone wall and 1 being weakest ever pen (0 being no pen), it was a 3

TBH it was nearly as good as when Taylor made a amazing save with his hands then went down holding his head last season.

his head?

Wasn't last season either :razz:

Aye, he went down easily. So what? Should he make every effort to stay on his feet under the circumstances? Don't be silly. It was a reckless tackle in the box by Riise and he made contact with Taylor, hence it was a foul and a pen. Also, as others have said, Riise's reaction said it all.