Our final league position

marko1892

With 27 games gone has your prediction of our final league position changed at all?

There is still a lot of football to be played in the premiership and the season is far from over. As it stands currently we are in a good poisition to push on and possibly win the league (i kid). But we are in a poisition where we could push for a uefa cup place come the end of the season. The only thing that worrys me about Newcastle is that we are far too inconsistant. Results against Man United and Liverpool are overshaddowed by poor results against Sheffield United and Birmingham (though that was the FA cup).

I still dont believe we will finish top 6 due to the fact we are too inconsistant and have riden our luck a lot this season against teams. Winning games in which we have been second best in Tottenham and Villa spring to mind. Start of the season i predicted us to finish somewhere around 8th to 10th and I think thats where we will end up this season.

Guest nufc_geordie

12th (according to BBC results predictor) with 47 points. Man Utd to win the league on goal difference from Chelski, Arsenal third, Liverpool 4th with Bolton and Everton making UEFA Cup.

Current bottom three getting relegated with Watford bottom Charlton 18th and west Ham 19th.

I think it's about right now tbh. Not great but not bad all things (injuries especially) considered. We should though consider Reading to be within our grasp as a target, albeit an ambitious one for this season.

I think it's about right now tbh. Not great but not bad all things (injuries especially) considered. We should though consider Reading to be within our grasp as a target, albeit an ambitious one for this season.

Who would have said we would struggle to keep up with Reading at the start of the season eh!

Anywhere between 7th and 12th. Everyone bar the top two (and Arsenal/Liverpool at a stretch) is rubbish.

^^^ this is true^^^

There's a whole swathe of the table where teams aren't seperated by much, and anyone who manages to put some consistency together (which nobody appears able to do) could make a UEFA charge.

I'll wager at 8th, based on our run-in and the final games of our direct competitors. We absolutely have to take something from the JJB, even just solitary points away from home are massively valuable if you can win your home games, which are:

'Boro

Man City

Arsenal

Chelsea

Blackburn

10 points from these?

The away games are all games that we should win, but traditionally don't:

Wigan

Charlton

Sheff Utd

Portsmouth

Reading

Watford

8 points from these? (Would hope for more, obviously.)

10 points, 8 points... that would have been lovely ;D

I was going to start a thread like this....

Anyway I reckon 7th to 10th. We've got Boro, City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Blackburn at home and Watford, Reading, Portsmouth, Sheffield, Charlton and Wigan away.

If they were the other way round I'd be really confident of picking up a lot of points at home. As it is we're going to have to learn how to beat average teams on their own grounds. Still, I can imagine we might win six of those games which would give us 54 points. Not great, but not terrible either given the injuries.

Of course we also have to win the UEFA cup between now and the end of the season (does the holder qualify?)

Martin

Guest Knightrider

8th for me which would be disappointing but what I expected at the start of the season if I'm honest, but given our problems this season I think we'll have done well to finish as high(!) as 8th so all is not bad and I've seen enough to suggest we can do well next season if we fix some problems and Roeder can work with and select from his strongest side on a regular basis.