Sunderland - Premiership next year or not?

Guest MagicNumber9

Guest MagicNumber9

Me and a mate yesterday were on about Sunderland and there promotion challenge... will they or wont they... then this changed onto the subject, do YOU want them to get promoted again just for the fact derby day is normally the best most anticipated game for toon fans of the season.... or would you like them top boil for another year in the championshiop before coming up? Or even better, Sunderland going tits up and get relegated deep into the football leagues...

So, do you want them to come up this season, or not?

Next time they come up, they'll be more than safe. Can see them finishing between 8th-13th if they come up tbh. Best they don't come up, Keane gets p*ssed off, and they return to mediocrity.

Don't know where you get that idea from. They'd need massive investment to be 'more than safe' imo.

Guest andynufc84

Their team and squad are nowehere near premiership class at the minute

But they will still probably come up, they are on a roll at the minute

They haven't beat us on wearside for 27 years,so I think they're due to beat us on there own patch,and for that reason I never want to play them again.

Next time they come up, they'll be more than safe. Can see them finishing between 8th-13th if they come up tbh. Best they don't come up, Keane gets p*ssed off, and they return to mediocrity.

Don't know where you get that idea from. They'd need massive investment to be 'more than safe' imo.

I think their current side is good enough to stay up. They're easily the best squad in that division post-transfer window, and I don't think Quinn will not back him with even more cash in the summer.

Guest andynufc84

I think their current side is good enough to stay up. They're easily the best squad in that division post-transfer window, and I don't think Quinn will not back him with even more cash in the summer.

They are still skint tho arn't they?

thought they had a fair bit of clowt in the transfer market these days. Be good to get them back up for the derbies but the site of them makes me sick so i'll have them losing the playoff final again this year.

I don't think their current side is good enough to stay up. And I think they'd be unlikely to spend much if they did. I could see them coming up via the play-offs though.

Guest andynufc84

Eventually it will be Shearer V Keane in the dugout in the Tyne/Weeear derby

Sky will bill it as an epic war like they do with those games when the top four meet each other

Should be interesting..

Guest icemanblue

Eventually it will be Shearer V Keane in the dugout in the Tyne/Weeear derby

Sky will bill it as an epic war like they do with those games when the top four meet each other

Should be interesting..

yep, can totally see that happening, been saying it since that potato lover took over...

can't wait!

Sunderland will not come up!! They arent good enough, Birmigham, Preston, Derby, West Brom, Cardiff, Southampton and possibly Wolves are all better than the scum, would like to see them in the Prem as it is an extra 6pts for us but they do not have the quality simple as.

Guest Sniffer

No brainer as it's six easy points for us.

I want them up as I miss the derby matches. Much better weekend than a match against some cockney b@stards.

Guest Geordie_Paul

Tbh although I do hate the club I do look forward to the derby days! As said its also an easy 6 points for us and that can make a huge difference. So aye I do hope they come up, then once again get the least points in premiership history and go down. Then come up the next year, as the year in between builds the anticipation for the Derby days I believe  :tongue: Then we can watch it happen again and again  ;D

Weve seen them stroll the First Div before, then get embarrased every week in the Prem.

Look at their current first 11, any that have played in the Prem before, either were simply not good enough, or are now well over the hill.

They'd need significent investment, and im not sure John, Stokes, Edwards will keep them up...

TBH, dont think they'll come up anyway, for me the top 2 will be Derby & Birmingham, and then the scum would be up against the likes of West Brom, Southampton, Prestion, Cardiff, who will have too much for them.

I love seeing them come up becuase i love watching them go down, so aye - i'd like to see it.

would it surprise or shock you if you realised they could easily be a top 6 club if they got their act together

Sunderland are a good club, we like to pretend they aren't but there's not many got more potential than them, they're only one of four clubs who have demonstrated the ability to regularly get over 45,000..  We abuse their 25 and 30,000 gates in the CCC, what clubs in the Premiership would get that on relegation?   Obviously we would, but they have been raped and mismanaged for years in a similar way to how we have.  Now they've got this consortium prepared to pour millions in to the club, they have a world famous manager, who is starting to get a settled side and results every week as he learns the job, there are a few similarities with Sunderland February 2007, and Newcastle February 1993, although their main focus of infrastructure, the stadium, is already there.   

Look at the form guide, they've been winning away at sides who have been on good runs 4-2 at Sheffield Wednesday, 2-0 at Plymouth, they've got work to do but if they don't come up automatic I'd be quite surpised if they f***** the play offs up.  If there was another play off final, how would we feel about it?  Especially if it went to penalties again.  Well as much as I enjoyed the 1998 play off final immensely, I would want them to lose because, seasons aren't the same without derbies.

It can't be demied their current side is far better than the one that was relegated, and I actually think they could beat the likes of Wigan, Charlton, Watford and West Ham right now on their day.  Anthony Stokes has been brought in, nobody has a bad word to say about him, a goal a game at 18 years of age, Kavanagh when he's fit is in my view an excellent schemer, they have Tobias Hysen, the defence is looking stronger, and when they come up I find it hard to believe they won't invest heavily and the fact Keane is there will attract a lot of players.  Look at the boy Stokes, he doesn't choose Sunderland over Celtic and Charlton if Big Mick and Fat Bob are running the show.  Yes there's a lot to be optomistic about being a Sunderland fan right now.

Dear me, I've just read that back and that could've been written by a fat jobsworth from Hendon, it's all true though.