Sunderland - Premiership next year or not?

Guest MagicNumber9

Guest Sniffer

A lot of people on here don't remember when the mackems were easily pulling in 40,000 plus crowds so it would surprise most of the kids on this forum.

IMO, the mackems would be a good investment opportunity for anybody willing to get a club on the cheap and provide solid backing.

A lot of people on here don't remember when the mackems were easily pulling in 40,000 plus crowds so it would surprise most of the kids on this forum.

IMO, the mackems would be a good investment opportunity for anybody willing to get a club on the cheap and provide solid backing.

They were getting that just a few years ago

Aye that's exactly what I've just said you're right.  47,000 was their average one season, fair enough there was free ticket mackems, but not as many as we used to make out.

I reckon most people on here can recall the 2000/2001 season tbh ;) I agree though, they have the potential fan base there. Not sure if they've got the balls to flash the cash for transfers and (more importantly) wages. I've been impressed with Keane so far though, I must admit.

Sunderland are a good club, we like to pretend they aren't but there's not many got more potential than them, they're only one of four clubs who have demonstrated the ability to regularly get over 45,000..  We abuse their 25 and 30,000 gates in the CCC, what clubs in the Premiership would get that on relegation?   Obviously we would, but they have been raped and mismanaged for years in a similar way to how we have.  Now they've got this consortium prepared to pour millions in to the club, they have a world famous manager, who is starting to get a settled side and results every week as he learns the job, there are a few similarities with Sunderland February 2007, and Newcastle February 1993, although their main focus of infrastructure, the stadium, is already there.   

Look at the form guide, they've been winning away at sides who have been on good runs 4-2 at Sheffield Wednesday, 2-0 at Plymouth, they've got work to do but if they don't come up automatic I'd be quite surpised if they f***** the play offs up.  If there was another play off final, how would we feel about it?  Especially if it went to penalties again.  Well as much as I enjoyed the 1998 play off final immensely, I wouldn't want them to lose because, seasons aren't the same without derbies.

It can't be demied their current side is far better than the one that was relegated, and I actually think they could beat the likes of Wigan, Charlton, Watford and West Ham right now on their day.  Anthony Stokes has been brought in, nobody has a bad word to say about him, a goal a game at 18 years of age, Kavanagh when he's fit is in my view an excellent schemer, they have Tobias Hysen, the defence is looking stronger, and when they come up I find it hard to believe they won't invest heavily and the fact Keane is there will attract a lot of players.  Look at the boy Stokes, he doesn't choose Sunderland over Celtic and Charlton if Big Mick and Fat Bob are running the show.  Yes there's a lot to be optomistic about being a Sunderland fan right now.

Dear me, I've just read that back and that could've been written by a fat jobsworth from Hendon, it's all true though.

May I just add on a slightly different note, what can't be denied is they're a bunch of cunts who base their entire existence on getting one up over and hating us.

Cue Gemmill getting emotional.

Guest Sniffer

OK, I'll rephrase it.....in excess of 40,000 paying customers. Most of my mates who are mackems don't bother turning up even when given a free ticket.

It will be close for the scum, they are very much in form in the league and I wouldnt bet against them finishing in the playoffs at the very least this season. But there are a lot of good sides at the top of the championship so its not going to be plain simple. I love the derbies but dont know if i want them back up just yet.

I don't think they will stay in premiership if they are promoted, well unless they invest heavily.

I would say they have one of the best squad in the championship. Roy Keane is as resourceful as he is ruthless.

Marton Fulop

Danny Simpson, Johny Evan, Nyron Nostworthy, Danny Collins

Carlos Edward, Dean Whitehead, Liam Miller, Dwight Yorke, Graham Kavanagh, Grant Leadbitter, Ross Wallace, Tobias Hysen

Anthony Stokes, Stern John, David Connolly

Good enough for promotion but not good enough for premiership. They also rely a fair bit on loan and young players (Evan + Simpson, Leadbitter, Wallace, Stokes).

I would like to see them up in the premiership next year as it is definitely good to see all north east big clubs in the top flight (Newcastle United, Sunderland AFC, Middlesbrough FC)

I dont want them up.  If they come up, then they could beat us, making the 4-1 just a memory.

Would agree with that.  A lot of people go on about how it would be 6 easy points for us - as we know there's no such thing as easy points for us.  The teams we expect to beat e.g. Fulham beat us, and then we manage to beat teams like Liverpool.  Added to the fact that derby games are different to all others with so much being at stake then it all comes down to which team turns up on the day and the points could go either way.

Keane will take them up and then abandon them for a better job imo.  He wouldn't want another disasterous premier league season to dent his credentials as a manager and we've seen that it's much easier to get the mackems up than keep them up.