Martins: Hardest Shot Ever and All That...

gazza ladra

Guest Alan_Shearer

Yeah the thing is they are working out average velocity cause they use v = s/t (velocity = displacement / time)

But the shot slows from the time it leaves the foot virtually, so the longer the shot, the average velocity will go down...

"1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1997)"

Jesus christ, 114mph?! Oba's shot was an absolute rocket, id love to see Hirsts goal!!

maybe it was from 5 yards out.

15yrds according to the article.

That list is total bollocks.  The hardest recorded slap shot in hockey is 114mph.  There is no way someone kicked a ball that fast.  Why don't they have a radar gun pointed at the goal most games, anyway?  Lot's of room for one behind it like. 

That list is total bollocks.  The hardest recorded slap shot in hockey is 114mph.  There is no way someone kicked a ball that fast.  Why don't they have a radar gun pointed at the goal most games, anyway?  Lot's of room for one behind it like. 

Yeah, I went and did a little research and from what I could find the speed of a batted baseball (bbs) tops off at about 110 mph and that's with an aluminum bat. May be someone with a background in physics can get more out of this site than I did http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats.html

Anyone? Anyone with a physics background?  Please disprove the Guardian as total bollocks, please. 

Physics background? Distance/time tbh.

Obviously not my background then, is it?  Haha.... 

I still don't understand how a football being lite in weight can achieve the same velocity/speed as a hockey puck. 

Ah. I don't know the theoretical maximum speeds of both, but i'd agree with you, it seems a nonsense that a football could be struck as swiftly as a hockey puck.

I doubt the weight has anything much to do with it though, more just the possible momentum transfer and the way both fly through the air. An airfilled football would absorb much more momentum (and therefore accelerate much less) than a solid puck.

Ah. I don't know the theoretical maximum speeds of both, but i'd agree with you, it seems a nonsense that a football could be struck as swiftly as a hockey puck.

I doubt the weight has anything much to do with it though, more just the possible momentum transfer and the way both fly through the air. An airfilled football would absorb much more momentum (and therefore accelerate much less) than a solid puck.

Agreed.  I would think the scale of both objects would come into it?  Aerodynamics? (All would fall under the momentum category.) 

I'm not sure why this fascinates me, but I'm fucking super curious with the list's authenticity.  God, I love this type of shit.  There's a show on Discovery Channel over here that I might email for answer's.  I'll report back if they respond.

There's a show on Discovery Channel over here that I might email for answer's.  I'll report back if they respond.

Mythbusters. Can a football be hit over 100mph? A bunch of ex-harley-davidson riding motorbike thugs  newly reformed into geeks will answer your question by building a robot leg that hits the ball at 2mph, the conclusion being the myth is debunked.

There's a show on Discovery Channel over here that I might email for answer's.  I'll report back if they respond.

Mythbusters. Can a football be hit over 100mph? A bunch of ex-harley-davidson riding motorbike thugs  newly reformed into geeks will answer your question by building a robot leg that hits the ball at 2mph, the conclusion being the myth is debunked.

Hahaha...  I was referring to Daily Planet and they're resident "Science Geek", but I'm sure the cunts on Mythbusters could do it.