We can win the UEFA Cup

James

I truly believe that Newcastle have an extremely good chance of claiming the UEFA Cup.

Newcastle have consistently performed well at home against the big clubs this season - in fact our problems have been down to our squad not really designed to cope with the typically British physical and well drilled sides such as Chelsea, Bolton, Everton, Fulham and Sheffield United, not to mention injury problems.

In fact, the squad that we have right now is probably one of the more continentally styled in the Premiership, if you exclude Manchester United (who we drew against), Arsenal (against whom we drew at Ashburton in our only game so far) and Liverpool (who we beat at home). The three mentioned teams are doing better in the league because they have a more British football orientated core in their defence, combined with more continentally styled attacking players, a balance we currently do not have.

Like many continental teams, we share the same problem when playing British teams - defending set-pieces. Most European teams will not only be unable to defend against some of our players who are good at set-pieces ie Bramble, Sibierski and Taylor, but will be much worse than British teams at attacking set-pieces.

Therefore, results will be determined by individual brilliance on the pitch, and with a highly motivated Obafemi Martins, Emre, Solano, Milner, N'Zogbia and Kieron Dyer on the pitch, not to mention the possibility of Duff finding form, or michael Owen being available for the latter stages, we have more players on the pitch that can win us matches than any of the opposition will.

WIN

Of course we have the chance, of course we can.. its down to whether we bottle it again or continue the momentum of the intial stages and pick up the results we can acheive.

There is enough talent in our squad, but we will need a bit of luck and everyone to be on top of their game.

I think you've got a point, I'm only worried about the fact that we have more potential to make a mistake that will cost us a game than any of the opposition do. It's only that inconsistency that might do us in I think.

That or an injury to Martins!

How do you know that?

WIN

Of course we have the chance, of course we can.. its down to whether we bottle it again or continue the momentum of the intial stages and pick up the results we can acheive.

There is enough talent in our squad, but we will need a bit of luck and everyone to be on top of their game.

The last time we had a chance to win it we didn't bottle it. The shithead manager threw it away to feed his ego.

We can win it

We just need some luck and our key players to stay fit

But lets just mention some of the favourites wining the UEFA cup:

Seville-the current UEFA cup holders,2nd in Spain Primera Division

Werder-2nd in Germans Bundesliga.Have some quality players

Benfica-IMO they are very good team,knocked Liverpool last year in the Champions league

I think these are the 3 teams which have the biggest chance of wining the UEFA cup

I think you've got a point, I'm only worried about the fact that we have more potential to make a mistake that will cost us a game than any of the opposition do. It's only that inconsistency that might do us in I think.

That or an injury to Martins!

How do you know that?

Fair point, I don't.

I just meant that we do have a tendency to make howlers that end up costing us goals, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got knocked out because of it. The spirit of the post was more about our lack of consistency.

Firstly, this is nonsense:

:lol:

We haven't played anyone yet.

The four teams that we have played in the group stages are probably in the top 6 or 7 teams we have played in our entire UEFA Cup campaign since 2003/04 (when we returned to it for the first time in a few years).

And secondly - yes. I do think we've got a chance, without a doubt. But the standard of opponents is far stronger this year. If we beat ALkmaar in the last sixteen, i'll be very, very optimistic.

WIN

The last time we had a chance to win it we didn't bottle it. The shithead manager threw it away to feed his ego.

We were tearing Sporting Lisbon apart until Dyer came off injured, the team bottled a great oppurtunity in my eyes.

Like the last two FA cup finals and the Marseille game we failed to turn up and play to at least an accpetable standard.

i also fear werder and sevilla - both are much much better team than us.

but i do somewhat agree - we're in it with at shout!

I think Werder and Sevilla are the favourites to win it but if we could get some luck in the draw we can go trough the last 8

Dave, they were good teams - Fenerbahce and Palermo especially. Fenerbahce are Champions League regulars and top of the Turkish league above Galatasaray, and Palermo were top of Serie A at the time; they weakened their side, granted, but so did we. We weren't playing shit in that group stage like we normally do in the earlier rounds. Or like Boro.

You look at the ties we've been faced with and you look at the muck they were dealt with, and how they very nearly ended up throwing it away, it's sickening and i'm very bitter. By God i hope we win it.

On the whole - i'm rather bitter about the UEFA Cup in general. I've lived a short life so far so i don't have proper experiences of many United 'catasrophes', and we were simply shit in the FA Cup finals, so nothing hurt me more than when Sporting Lisbon knocked us out. That killed like nothing else. On my birthday aswell.

I crave for us to win this competition, now.

We'll beat Zulte. Fenerbahce/Alkmaar (probably AZ) will be a majorly difficult hurdle.

WIN

The time before that we bottled it though, don't you think? Granted we had an injury crisis, but even so....

Aye, we bottled it against Marseille.

The amount of chances we had over two legs - unbelievable. Gary Speed missing an open goal at the Gallowgate End sticks in my mind. Michael Bridges shaved the post in the home leg, aswell.

We were doomed as soon as we didn't win at St James'.

Aye, we bottled it against Marseille.

The amount of chances we had over two legs - unbelievable. Gary Speed missing an open goal at the Gallowgate End sticks in my mind. Michael Bridges shaved the post in the home leg, aswell.

We were doomed as soon as we didn't win at St James'.

Didn't Shola miss a guilt edge one from about 6 yards too? And hit it straight at Barthez?  :buck2:

Guest nufc_geordie

If someone had of said to me in July at the start of the European campaign that we would have Zulte Waregem in the first knock out phase followed by Alkmaar or Fenerbahce in the last 16 I would have snapped their hand off. Very winnable games although when you get to the last 16 of a european competition what do you expect- a walkover.

Get to the quarters and anything can happen.

WIN

I agree. That night I felt horrible. Souness' dismantling of such a good squad still was not enough to stop us getting as far as we did - but then his selection policy interfered, and he greeted Robert's Sheareresque rally cry with contempt!! 4 injuries during the game meant that fans saw Newcastle saw their best chance of winning anything disappear for a long, long time.