'Paki' and 'Chink'

Guest TheOrder

Guest TheOrder

Do you find these terms offensive? I've always thought that they were just abbreviations of the country of heritage, but my lass's mams new husband is Chinese, and he finds the term offensive.

What are your thoughts?

I don't because i'm neither. It depends how it's used aswell i guess. But no not personally i don't find it offensive, unless it's used directly to abuse someone. It's used too commonly "I'm off to get a chinkies" etc...

Paki, yes. Chink, no. My chinese mates in fact, of which I have many, get very pissed off when, generally, white people get offended on their behalf when someone says it. I would call these people the proverbial "PC Brigade".

Surprised to hear that though, NR, really surprised. Always got the impression Chinese people couldn't have given a shit. That largely comes from countless times hearing Chinese people say it, or it being said a million times in front of them without the flick of an eye. In my opinion, going on personal experience, most Chinese don't find it offensive.

has anyone given reasoning why they think either as offensive? its a shortening of your nationality... i just dont get it

I think the word "paki" became offensive because people used it more and more as an offensive term. "Chinky" I have only ever heard of to describe a chinese shop and don't think i have ever heard it to desribe a chinese person so I assumed it wasnt offensive.

has anyone given reasoning why they think either as offensive? its a shortening of your nationality... i just dont get it

I think the word "paki" became offensive because people used it more and more as an offensive term. "Chinky" I have only ever heard of to describe a chinese shop and don't think i have ever heard it to desribe a chinese person so I assumed it wasnt offensive.

aye, agree. But it doesnt mean that it should be.

Sort of agree, but not on Paki. There's a lot of ground for people to say Paki is, but Chink, I don't know. Like I said, I've never met a Chinese person that finds it offensive.

Got to admit though, I always felt really bad when I said it and my Chinese mate was there. Only for her to continue talking to me as if I said nothing.

I'm not sure. It's strange because the asian community round here refer to themselves as pakis, yet whenever a non-paki says it the whole world comes to a stop.

Probably because it's used more  by arseholes in scentances such as

"Look at that dirty Paki bastard"

etc....

Sort of agree, but not on Paki.  There's a lot of ground for people to say Paki is, but Chink, I don't know.  Like I said, I've never met a Chinese person that finds it offensive. 

Got to admit though, I always felt really bad when I said it and my Chinese mate was there.  Only for her to continue talking to me as if I said nothing.

tbh, i tend to frequently rip it out of my mates with as many racist terms as possible, irrelevant of race. equal opportunities an arl.

I'm not sure. It's strange because the asian community round here refer to themselves as pakis, yet whenever a non-paki says it the whole world comes to a stop.

etc....

RACIST.

Sort of agree, but not on Paki. There's a lot of ground for people to say Paki is, but Chink, I don't know. Like I said, I've never met a Chinese person that finds it offensive.

Got to admit though, I always felt really bad when I said it and my Chinese mate was there. Only for her to continue talking to me as if I said nothing.

tbh, i tend to frequently rip it out of my mates with as many racist terms as possible, irrelevant of race. equal opportunities an arl.

:thup:

Similar with my group of mates, and we're all races being "racist", in a funny way. Who would've thought it.

etc....

RACIST.

:lol: No i'm not, i was just using an example of what i've heard nuggets say before.

"Look at that dirty Paki b******"

etc....

Nah, I mean in the same vein.

Obviously some of that is used, but you really have to think before you speak round here, because when it comes to issues like this, people's sentances are nit picked to fuck, and twisted to make you seem a arsehole who said it in a deregotory? way. When you really didn't mean that at all. Seen it happen loads of times.

That is part of the issue, as Dave said calling an Indian a Paki is very offensive to them. It would be like calling me a cockney hom ;)  :lol:

That would be very offensive i agree.

... ...

... ... ... .. .....  ...      RACIST

That is part of the issue, as Dave said calling an Indian a Paki is very offensive to them. It would be like calling me a cockney hom ;)  :lol:

That would be very offensive i agree.

... ...

... ... ... .. .....  ...      RACIST

Too fucking right, where's me white hood at. Been looking for it for ages.

I've had a couple of ex-uni and work mates who took most offense at being called pakis because they were in fact Indian, and hated them. :lol:

Fuck, I remember at school something like that happening.  In the local shop, random racist abuse being shouted from the outside (daily stuff), and she loses the plot, in front of me, thuds her hand, "tell him, I am not a Paki, I am an Indian!" :lol:

Shouldn't laugh, but it was funny.