St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Sorry I may have failed physics in school.

but is there any reason why we can't have both corners of the East Stand buolt up to Level 7? I don't know how it'll look mind.

Im not sure there’s the space behind either corner to be able to go back enough to incorporate another tier. Could be wrong though. 

Some kind of second tier from the Gallowgate west corner round the Gallowgate seems the most obvious. Though I guess the road there and metro underneath don’t exactly make it straightforward. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

15 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Sorry I may have failed physics in school.

but is there any reason why we can't have both corners of the East Stand buolt up to Level 7? I don't know how it'll look mind.

No space

Really good news.

I've long dreaded the day it was built upon for aesthetic and hobbling us reasons.

The thing with the East Stand is there are buildings a lot closer to it than Leazes Terrace towards the Gallowgate, through that cobbled stone little alley.

Don't know if its listed though.

45 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Really great news. Even if nothing is done for awhile this reverses one of the worst things Ashley did.

I bet that cunt is somehow getting some money from this sale

Edited by LV

I believe we don't own the stadium as far as I can remember , so is there any point in expanding to gain a few extra seats, unless something has changed, would of been better moving further up the road.

Stand to be corrected though .

4 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Would look really nice but we shouldn't limit our thinking to matching the Gallowgate up with the Leazes. Build it bigger.

The unevenness of the stadium is a virtue in itself.

An even bigger/higher stand than the current Level 7 would be ridiculous. The views at the back would be hideous and you might as well just watch the game at home.

I'm not a fan of having mismatched stands either, it just looks lopsided and messy.

Just now, wyn davies said:

I believe we don't own the stadium as far as I can remember , so is there any point in expanding to gain a few extra seats, unless something has changed, would of been better moving further up the road.

Unless they have solely bought the land to use as a fan zone (highly unlikely IMO) then this looks like ending the debate of expanding/moving for a good while now.

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

We own the stadium, not the land which is essentially owned by the council and we have use of it basically permanently if I am right?

Just now, Novocastrian said:

Will the new owners really sign off on an expensive extension to the Gallowgate that only adds 7 or 8 thousand seats? I think the ground will still be too small. We need to be looking at least 65k approaching 67/68k in my opinion.

they will if its done in stages, i think gallowgate first then east stand

Just now, Cookie1892 said:

they will if its done in stages, i think gallowgate first then east stand

That is predicated on the East Stand also being extended. It would need very clever architectural sleight of hand to create additional seating in that space. I may be wrong though.

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

An even bigger/higher stand than the current Level 7 would be ridiculous. The views at the back would be hideous and you might as well just watch the game at home.

I'm not a fan of having mismatched stands either, it just looks lopsided and messy.

That's inevitable in any big stadium. Its not physically possible to have a big stadium with a big capacity and have everyone having feel part of the game.

Iconic stadiums like Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid have done okay with lopsided and far away views/experiences whilst Old Trafford is and Anfield was lopsided.  Its personal choices but they're all better than Arsenal's ground for me.

Edited by Jonas

could we do the following:

extend gallowgate first

flatten east stand completely

put those displaced in new gallowgate tier

completely rebuild east stand with a new footprint that would maybe bring it closer to pitch, add exec boxes, remodel upper tier to add more rows

5 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Will the new owners really sign off on an expensive extension to the Gallowgate that only adds 7 or 8 thousand seats? I think the ground will still be too small. We need to be looking at least 65k approaching 67/68k in my opinion.

There’s no way we get 67k on enough of a regular basis to justify that. There’s a balance between maximising gate receipts and availability of tickets. An extended Gallowgate taking us to 60k is the sweet spot.

Remember we’re in the honeymoon phase. Every expectation we have is being bested. We’re all in love with the club again. Life is sweet. Once this becomes the norm I don’t see us being able to pack another 15,000 into SJP every other week, let alone for cup and European fixtures.

Sure I read the cost of the new stadium does not impact FFP?  In that case I'm not sure if the costs for limited return would really stop them pressing ahead?

I bet over time we will see the inside of the main stand change from a social club vibe to a world class environment.

Christ they might even do a spurs with a bar at roof level if they are updated the gallowgate.

Either way it will be better then our only upgrades being a giant Sports Directs logo on top of the stand

2 minutes ago, christ said:

There’s no way we get 67k on enough of a regular basis to justify that. There’s a balance between maximising gate receipts and availability of tickets. An extended Gallowgate taking us to 60k is the sweet spot.

Remember we’re in the honeymoon phase. Every expectation we have is being bested. We’re all in love with the club again. Life is sweet. Once this becomes the norm I don’t see us being able to pack another 15,000 into SJP every other week, let alone for cup and European fixtures.

I think we could.. a whole lost generation of fans between the Ashley years and family/ kids / mates  not being able to pick up season tickets together.

9 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

could we do the following:

extend gallowgate first

flatten east stand completely

put those displaced in new gallowgate tier

completely rebuild east stand with a new footprint that would maybe bring it closer to pitch, add exec boxes, remodel upper tier to add more rows

Would slot in a "during demolition, discover major structural weaknesses under Leazes Terrace which will directly threaten the stability of the Civic Centre, Quayside Courts and Tyne Bridge"