St James' Park

Delima

14 minutes ago, Jonas said:

That's inevitable in any big stadium. Its not physically possible to have a big stadium with a big capacity and have everyone having feel part of the game.

Iconic stadiums like Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid have done okay with lopsided and far away views/experiences whilst Old Trafford is and Anfield was lopsided.  Its personal choices but they're all better than Arsenal's ground for me.

Been to Barca and Madrid and you really do feel like the action is happening miles away from you. 

I keep banging on about it, but Spurs is the best football stadium I've ever been to. High-sided with a steep angle, fans are packed it, beautiful design, conducts noise quite well. Of course that's a complete new build.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

12 minutes ago, Jonas said:

That's inevitable in any big stadium. Its not physically possible to have a big stadium with a big capacity and have everyone having feel part of the game.

Iconic stadiums like Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid have done okay with lopsided and far away views/experiences whilst Old Trafford is and Anfield was lopsided.  Its personal choices but they're all better than Arsenal's ground for me.

Except that Level 7 at SJP is already higher and further back than any of the stands at those grounds. To put a Level 8 tier on SJP would be ridiculous and crossing the line over what is an acceptable view of the pitch. I don't think people sometimes appreciate how far away you are when at the back of Level 7. To go even further back would be preposterous.

The Bernabeu is the best stadium in the world IMO when getting the balance right of stadium size and layout of the tiers around the it. And the modernisation of it with the all new roof will make it even better.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Shame they can't really convert the East Stand to the director's box and associated luminary seats, who'll be nice and close, and just let the other three gigantic stands make all the noise

Nothing stopping them making the vertical spare space on the East Stand into executive boxes but that will involve some severe disruption to seating.

Putting season ticket holders from the East Stand into new seats on the Gallowgate while the East Stand gets rebuilt is a great shout. Makes sense really, the East Stand will need to be updated at some stage. 

19 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

could we do the following:

extend gallowgate first

flatten east stand completely

put those displaced in new gallowgate tier

completely rebuild east stand with a new footprint that would maybe bring it closer to pitch, add exec boxes, remodel upper tier to add more rows

18 minutes ago, christ said:

There’s no way we get 67k on enough of a regular basis to justify that. There’s a balance between maximising gate receipts and availability of tickets. An extended Gallowgate taking us to 60k is the sweet spot.

Remember we’re in the honeymoon phase. Every expectation we have is being bested. We’re all in love with the club again. Life is sweet. Once this becomes the norm I don’t see us being able to pack another 15,000 into SJP every other week, let alone for cup and European fixtures.

If the club continues to operate as one of the elite then of course we can fill a 67K stadium every week. This isn't the honeymoon period, this is the celebrating the divorce from Ashley period. The honeymoon is when the trophies roll in.

If NUFC becomes one of the established elite then it will basically become the club of the entire North East, with a fanbase that stretches from the borders down to Darlington. That is a seriously large catchment area.

Edited by Wandy

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Been to Barca and Madrid and you really do feel like the action is happening miles away from you. 

I keep banging on about it, but Spurs is the best football stadium I've ever been to. High-sided with a steep angle, fans are packed it, beautiful design, conducts noise quite well. Of course that's a complete new build.

15 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Except that Level 7 at SJP is already higher and further back than any of the stands at those grounds. To put a Level 8 tier on SJP would be ridiculous and crossing the line over what is an acceptable view of the pitch. I don't think people sometimes appreciate how far away you are when at the back of Level 7. To go even further back would be preposterous.

Agree with both

to get a situation like Spurs/Dortmund capacity plus not steep, we'd have to flatten the stadium and start over.

This isn't an option many are keen on and we'll probably have to move away whilst it happens

The other clubs mentioned Milan/Barcelona/Real/Liverpool had to be creative and build steeply on what was already established as we'll have to/already have. Milan had space but chose to build steeply rather than start over.

18 minutes ago, Sima said:

Nothing stopping them making the vertical spare space on the East Stand into executive boxes but that will involve some severe disruption to seating.

No, but I'm not sure the East Stand has got the other infrastructure to support high paying guests that aren't particularly arsed about football, unfortunately. I've thought for years it'd be better if we could find a way to get them all in there but I'm not sure there is

Edited by OpenC

Looking on that City Sky Scrapers forum again someone suggested taking the Aviva Stadium in Dublin as inspiration for encorperating the East Stand

image.thumb.png.d6869faad35a4e9696a89446b6b27e2e.png

It's a cracking thread throughout like, well worth looking all the way through for anyone who hasn't been on it. 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/newcastle-upon-tyne-st-james-park-52-405.326386/

Edited by Kid Icarus

It’d be cool if they made the Gallowgate into a one tier kop style stand and the roof the height of the Milburn rather than just matching the others. Might even improve the atmosphere 

edit: late to the party. As @Simasaid. 

Edited by CFlan

fucking hope this is the start of getting a fucking radgy end that generates proper noise and safe standing. Build up Gallowgate, hoy leazes st holders at top of it and put safe standing in leazes. less S.T to upset etc

8 minutes ago, OpenC said:

No, but I'm not sure the East Stand has got the other infrastructure to support high paying guests that aren't particularly arsed about football, unfortunately. I've thought for years it'd be better if we could find a way to get them all in there but I'm not sure there is

Buy Leazes Terrace and turn it into a 5 star hotel with gated access. Turn the East Stand into your high end guests and commercial revenue drivers. 

1 minute ago, Northerngimp said:

Buy Leazes Terrace and turn it into a 5 star hotel with gated access. Turn the East Stand into your high end guests and commercial revenue drivers. 

It's fucking genius tbh :lol:

5 minutes ago, CFlan said:

It’d be cool if they made the Gallowgate into a one tier kop style stand and the roof the height of the Milburn rather than just matching the others. Might even improve the atmosphere 

Making the Gallowgate a single tier stand feels like the best (only?) way to really maximize the number of new seats that can be added. 

I'm also wondering what options there are to move the pitch towards the Millburn stand and maybe remove some rows of seats from the Millburn in order to allow for a bigger footprint on the East Stand.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Would look really nice but we shouldn't limit our thinking to matching the Gallowgate up with the Leazes. Build it bigger.

The unevenness of the stadium is a virtue in itself.

We were sat 4 rows from the back of L7 for the Southampton match last week and I hated it. Far too high up and far away from the action. Almost felt like I wasn't even there. If that same seat I had on Tuesday was offered for me to buy as a season ticket I'd knock it back and take my chances match by match.

Building any higher should be out of the question.

4 minutes ago, OpenC said:

What is it at the minute? Private residences? Posh student places? Never see a fucking soul going in or out 

I dunno, but you could even put a clear roof over it and create a real posh nobs space.   Could put on personal cars to take people golfing up the Northumberland coast etc.  Imagine walking out of a Georgian 5 star hotel straight into the East Stand for the match. 

Should have stated when saying don't limit a Gallowgate to Leazes/Milburn height I was only thinking of a couple thousand extra seets in a curve or something.

Just trying to get to a magic number with the East Stand difficulties.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Looking on that City Sky Scrapers forum again someone suggested taking the Aviva Stadium in Dublin as inspiration for encorperating the East Stand

image.thumb.png.d6869faad35a4e9696a89446b6b27e2e.png

It's a cracking thread throughout like, well worth looking all the way through for anyone who hasn't been on it. 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/newcastle-upon-tyne-st-james-park-52-405.326386/

We love a stadium like that over here.

E01758EE-DE2D-4B58-97B6-08063A1B901A.thumb.jpeg.8095b2dd230a7eb96a29a89443368e87.jpeg