St James' Park

Delima

5 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Fair play, badly worded.

out of interest when did the old letters appear on the East Stand? Can’t remember.

Late 80's or early 90s? Definitely had it for the PL I would think. 

24 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Fair play, badly worded.

out of interest when did the old letters appear on the East Stand? Can’t remember

It was 2011 when the bold, italicised and tightly kerned letters were put up. Around the time of the Sports Direct logos being added either side. Ashley probably got a three-for-one deal.

As far as I'm aware the previous roman letters with proper kerning had been up and remained the same for decades prior before being auctioned on ebay.

I've voted in the poll but tbh whilst I have opinions, really I don't give a shit.

Yes I'd prefer discrete advertising. Yes I'd prefer the old font back. But I also acknowledge they own the club and can do whatever the hell they want with it and I'm comfortable with that because I know that we're trying to do the right things for the right reasons commercially, and that the money will be reinvested back into the team.

All I want is for them to not replace the particularly tacky shite coming off the East and Gallowgate stands. Even the standard hoardings around the stadium will look a ton better purely by virtue of (presumably) having some variety and not just being an SD.com sensory overload.

And for the love of God the 'Newcastle United' font needs changing, yes.

7 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

It was 2011 when the bold, italicised and tightly kerned letters were put up. Around the time of the Sports Direct logos being added either side. Ashley probably got a three-for-one deal.

As far as I'm aware the previous roman letters with proper kerning had been up and remained the same for decades prior before being auctioned on ebay.

Yes, the letters were sold one-by-one in 2011, on eBay, by the Newcastle United Foundation . . . 

Newcastle_United_Stadium_Letters_sold_on

9 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

Yeah it was the old letters. I was going with my Dad since the ‘86 season but can’t remember if they were then. I think they were

6 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Yeah it was the old letters. I was going with my Dad since the ‘86 season but can’t remember if they were then. I think they were

7:24 in the 7-1 v Leicester the East Stand doesn't have the lettering on. Must have been added when we were promoted.

5 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

7:24 in the 7-1 v Leicester the East Stand doesn't have the lettering on. Must have been added when we were promoted.

I think they were added in summer 2000 when the East Stand boxes were removed and replaced by seating.

Edited by Sima

The old Newcastle United signage popped up during the 93/94 season.

Like the redesigned dug-outs and tunnel - there was always something going on then...bit like now

*by Wimbledon in late October - so between Sept/Oct 93, probably round about the time Euro'96 was awarded

Edited by Wolfcastle

14 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I really hope they manage to get Keegan back in some capacity. Imagine him sitting in the stands beside Amanda watching over a team he can be proud of.

So do I.

Shearer has been offered, but wants a bigger salary.

They should go all out for Keegan - he'd probably do it for free anyway!

8 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

So do I.

What does he want a bigger salary for? Having dinner with people and going to the match?

14 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

What does he want a bigger salary for? Having dinner with people and going to the match?

Because he's a greedy bastard. Personally I'd have him nowhere near anything to do with the running of the club. Great player for us and that's it. I can think of at least 3 players ahead of Shearer who I idolised more though.

25 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

So do I.

KK wouldn't do it for free mind as he is another who comes with a hefty pricetag. At least with Keegan though you get value for money.

If its true about Shearer would it be the case that he has to give up his BBC stuff to do it and the "work" would have to pay according to what he was losing from that? I am not sure its a priority still about ambassadors feel like there is still so much yet to do. 

Shearer was an absolute world class player and great icon of the club. And with him being a pundit, he's a fairly good representative in the media, means the club gets spoken about more than it probably usually would in its current state. 

But in terms of being in touch with what the people want, he doesn't have a clue. He is a legend for on-the-pitch stuff, but off the pitch his opinion isn't anything overly special that you'd tune in or pay good money for.

Whereas with Keegan or even SBR, they brought a different level of depth and you'd read and listen to everything they say as not only is it going to be warm and passionate, it's also going to be pretty spot on and insightful. More than anything it is their values and ethos that represent the club above all else. Shearer was a bloody good player, my hero growing up like many but I don't rate him as highly as the others in adulthood in terms of him 'getting it'. He doesn't inspire me as much as the others in terms of what he has to say or in his actions. 

For what it's worth - I also think he'd be a PFM type of manager so it's a good thing his management career didn't quite take off.