St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, Keggy_Keagal said:

Like others am a little bit uneasy about the renaming. Something like  St James' Park sponsored by ........ would be ok if it has to be done .

A short almost-no-change name like Aramco St James' Park, would suit me I think, if it brings in a lot of sponsorship money.

We would just still call it St James' Park anyway !

30 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I think you just call it "St James Park with XXX"

I'd be fine with that.

That's like paying to be the shirt sponsor but we'll only have the name of the company around the collar in tiny letters.

Nobody pays serious money to have their name tagged onto the end so that TV presenters can easily still call it St James' Park. They want it there in a way that means it has to be said out loud as the primary name of the ground.

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

That's like paying to be the shirt sponsor but we'll only have the name of the company around the collar in tiny letters.

Nobody pays serious money to have their name tagged onto the end so that TV presenters can easily still call it St James' Park. They want it there in a way that means it has to be said out loud as the primary name of the ground.

Always going to be the case with a new build, mind. If however they’d taken over when it was still the old stadium, revamped it and called it ‘Etihad Maine Road’, it’d likely be different.

57 minutes ago, Wullie said:

The idea that "everyone will still call it St James' Park" is completely deluded imo. Yes you will, and I will and people in Newcastle will, but the wider public won't. Kids in ten years time won't even know the name. These things stick really easily.

If you put into Twitter the phrase "Call it Eastlands" you will see Man City fans from 2011 who were absolutely adamant that nobody would ever actually refer to it as The Etihad. 

Nobody ever believes that advertising actually works. Newsflash: it works.

Exactly.

Why not replace the SD signs with another company? Said company still gets massive exposure while still maintaining the stadium name and can pay a fee for that. It might be a 5m or so less than outright stadium name change but it’s the best compromise. FFS can’t believe we’re here and some are rushing towards accepting this, we would regret it in the future.

Do we not want to keep our identity? Isn’t the idea that the NUFC we loved, with all the tradition that came with it before Ashley, comes back to challenge again?

3 hours ago, christ said:

Renaming is a no-go for me.

I didn’t hold up a banner that got the singing section kicked from Level 7 for someone else to come along and change the name.

As a side note would love to see that decision overturned and allow us back up there. Be there in a heartbeat. Best views, goading the away fans. Class.

Coronary on the way up like.

The money involved shouldn't be anywhere near worth selling out for anyway. £20-£50m a year when you're talking about some of the most powerful people in the world, who have unlimited resources to find ways to bring in revenue in other ways? What's the point. 

Edited by kisearch

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

The money involved shouldn't be anywhere near worth selling out for anyway. £20-£50m a year when you're talking about some of the most powerful people in the world, who have unlimited resources to find ways to bring in revenue in other ways? What's the point. 

Probably just want to exploit all revenue channels. Mo money, innit! 

7 minutes ago, kisearch said:

To dodge FFP?  I mean they can plough their own money into the club without changing any commercial deals but it will be limited.

12 minutes ago, Wullie said:

True, but the whole point is that it's sort of a fiction anyway because there's no way of demonstrating how much naming a stadium is actually worth, still less the order of the words.

They can pretend it's worth X amount, buy whatever players they want and we still get to have it as St James' Park. 

2 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

To dodge FFP?  I mean they can plough their own money into the club without changing any commercial deals but it will be limited.

For £20-50m a year when they can find other ways to wangle it just seems pointless. 

8 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Exactly.

Why not replace the SD signs with another company? Said company still gets massive exposure while still maintaining the stadium name and can pay a fee for that. It might be a 5m or so less than outright stadium name change but it’s the best compromise. FFS can’t believe we’re here and some are rushing towards accepting this, we would regret it in the future.

Do we not want to keep our identity? Isn’t the idea that the NUFC we loved, with all the tradition that came with it before Ashley, comes back to challenge again?

It's grim isn't it? I really hope we can win something quite quickly because I really don't like the way we're exposing ourselves as a fanbase who will really welcome absolutely anything in pursuit of a decent full back. Maybe getting a trophy in the cabinet will allow some people to reset their thinking a little bit (or maybe that's very naive).

At least there is a sense at Man United and Liverpool amongst their fans that "We'll always be relatively successful so we don't necessarily have to love every shitty thing our owners are doing"

What I've seen recently makes me think we'd have been the one group of fans absolutely buzzing about being invited into a Super League.

Commercial revenue isn’t dollar for dollar transfer fee income. Every major deal has lasting impact over multiple years via the way FFP calcs are spread and accounted for. 

I am open to all and any ways to get commercial revenues that don’t involve the stadium name. But if the overall goal is to make us successful as possible as soon as possible, ill trust the club owners to communicate and do the right thing until they don’t. 

“they are powerful enough to figure it out via other ways” is a fine comment but hard for me to accept that because it’s purely hypothetical :lol: 

14 minutes ago, manorpark said:

A short almost-no-change name like Aramco St James' Park, would suit me I think, if it brings in a lot of sponsorship money.

We would just still call it St James' Park anyway !

Something like that would alleviate most of my concerns. When cunt changed the name, it made it easier to simply say Sports Direct Arena, and omit the relevant bit. Welcome to Aramco, wouldn't mean anything, to anybody.

7 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

I agree with the above comments about swapping out the SD shite instead. That would be a positive PR solution. "X company rids SJP of SD signage". 100% behind that. The SD shite is in most photos regarding NUFC as it is. 

Isn’t that what Wonga did when they “bought” the stadium naming rights and reverted it to SJP?

1 hour ago, kisearch said:

For £20-50m a year when they can find other ways to wangle it just seems pointless. 

But what they will be looking to do is have as many sponsorship revenue streams as possible, because one massive sponsorship deal is probably more like to fall foul of the fair market value element of the FFP rules than lots of smaller deals.