St James' Park

Delima

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Does anyone think less of Man City btw? I know you get the mong element with the shite ‘Emptihad’ craic but most real supporters I’d say think good on the real supporters like those who were there down in Division Two. Do most of them wish they were back at Maine Road yoyo-ing between the top 2 divisions peaking at mid-table?

Man City had only moved into that stadium only around 5 years before the takeover and it wasn't even built for them if I understand correctly, it was an athletics stadium converted for them. So their ground was already lacking identity. I look at it now and feel its an empty husk of a ground, it seems an absolute library and they even seem apathetic to the success. Nothing against those fans who were going while at Maine Road, but I bet a lot of those fans would've loved to have re-developed / extended Maine Road in hindsight and had their success there instead.

5 minutes ago, Decky said:

Theres definitely only a few stadiums left at the top of the English game with long standing traditional names so there's a lot to be said for preserving that. Could you see Anfield or Old Trafford ever being called something else? If not then why are we any different? Its good that they're consulting the fans though. A few days ago I was of the opinion that if it was reinvested into the playing squad it might be worth it but upon reflection I'd absolutely hate it, there's other means of getting money in. 

Exactly, plaster the stadium with a sponsor, it’s not like that would be unusual for us fans, just don’t rename the stadium, or relocate. I honestly think if they did one or both, I’d be a passive armchair fan only really. Like you said, they have all manner of ways to bring money into the club and I honestly think it would cost less to expand the stadium even with all the current restrictions and difficulties, than a complete rebuild in another location. I’d rather they went about rebuilding a new academy from scratch and training facilities.

Just now, HTT II said:

Exactly, plaster the stadium with a sponsor, it’s not like that would be unusual for us fans, just don’t rename the stadium, or relocate. I honestly think if they did one or both, I’d be a passive armchair fan only really. Like you said, they have all manner of ways to bring money into the club and I honestly think it would cost less to expand the stadium even with all the current restrictions and difficulties, than a complete rebuild in another location. I’d rather they went about rebuilding a new academy from scratch and training facilities.

Yeah just do what manyoo have done

official noodle sponsor

official tractor provider

preferred fedora partner

just fuckin rinse it dry

21 minutes ago, Decky said:

Theres definitely only a few stadiums left at the top of the English game with long standing traditional names so there's a lot to be said for preserving that. Could you see Anfield or Old Trafford ever being called something is? If not then why are we any different? Its good that they're consulting the fans though. A few days ago I was of the opinion that if it was reinvested into the playing squad it might be worth it but upon reflection I'd absolutely hate it, there's other means of getting money in. 

Exactly, no-one can tell me that having stadium signage and a training ground sponsored name wouldn't be enough to supply a good chunk of money. "well we'll miss out on a few million more without stadium name changed"... so fuck, we'll still have tradition & identity over those other clubs which is priceless thankyou very much... and guess how we'll make up that extra few million? By using ambition and intelligence to appoint a quality manager who will wring an extra 10% out of the players that a different manager wouldn't. By developing quality academy players through facility/coaching investment. Isn't that the better way? The more fun way? Because we can do these things now after 14yrs of being on pause - this gets me excited more than a lot of things after such neglect... or do we just want to play football manager? 

Edited by timnufc22

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I'm the total opposite as I would rename the ground (with St James' Park included) to give immediate increased revenue short term until they built a new stadium, which would then further increase the revenue. Be interesting having a poll to see initial opinion. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

I'm the total opposite as I would rename the ground (with St James' Park included) to give immediate increased revenue short term until they built a new stadium, which would then further increase the revenue. Be interesting having a poll to see initial opinion. 

Ah fuck that! That would be me done like, although I can understand others entertaining such ideas, for me some things are sacred. Let’s knock the Tyne Bridge down and build a 3 lane each way flyover…

Guest neesy111
26 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Does anyone think less of Man City btw? I know you get the mong element with the shite ‘Emptihad’ craic but most real supporters I’d say think good on the real supporters like those who were there down in Division Two. Do most of them wish they were back at Maine Road yoyo-ing between the top 2 divisions peaking at mid-table?

They had the benefit of renaming a fairly new stadium (10 years) that had actually 2 names (city of Manchester or Eastlands).

If we build a new stadium them fair enough for whatever name it is, renaming a 120 year stadium no thanks.

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Ah fuck that! That would be me done like, although I can understand others entertaining such ideas, for me some things are sacred. Let’s knock the Tyne Bridge down and build a 3 lane each way flyover…

I respect your opinion, it's good that things are actually being discussed instead of the pile on we had for 18 months. Remember, building a new stadium was also John Hall's first choice. He only didn't do it as a result of the timescale involved with planning permissions and such. It's not a new thing and the majority back then ok with it. 

Edited by et tu brute

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I respect your opinion, it's good that things are actually being discussed instead of the pile on we had for 18 months. Remember, building a new stadium was also John Hall's first choice. He only didn't do it as a result of the timescale involved with planning permissions and such. It's not a new thing and the majority back then ok with it. 

From what I remember at the time, the majority were OK with it, because for decades SJP was a rotten corpse before SJH come in, once they rebuilt the stadium, however, to 53k, most were glad they did. 

@HTT II so renaming of the stadium, would make you just become passive, but if on the pitch - the club has welcomed back legends, been good in the community, supported the youth academy, built a new training facility, supported the womens' team, starting winning a cup or two, communicated with the fans "hey look, its been 5 years, we wanted to get rid of X manager, and we're going for the title now" and the place was buzzing off its ass - but since its the "Aramco Field at St James Park" you're just turning it in? 

Honest question. 

Just now, Kanji said:

At least the conversations here are not nasty, and people are genuinely debating things. 

You can fuck off as well

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

From what I remember at the time, the majority were OK with it, because for decades SJP was a rotten corpse before SJH come in, once they rebuilt the stadium, however, to 53k, most were glad they did. 

Think you will find the majority will be ok with it this time also, however we will have to just wait and see. As I said a respect your opinion.

Just now, Kanji said:

@HTT II so renaming of the stadium, would make you just become passive, but if on the pitch - the club has welcomed back legends, been good in the community, supported the youth academy, built a new training facility, supported the womens' team, starting winning a cup or two, communicated with the fans "hey look, its been 5 years, we wanted to get rid of X manager, and we're going for the title now" and the place was buzzing off its ass - but since its the "Aramco Field at St James Park" you're just turning it in? 

Honest question. 

Aye, because and I mean this, they can do all of that and not have to or without having to desecrate our history, heritage, culture, legacy which all stemmed from 11 blokes back in the late 18 hundreds playing on some muddy, grassy uneven field that was once the gallows bang in the City Centre to the now world renowned, famous, regional and local historical monument that is and only ever will be St. Jame’s Park 120 years on, I’d hope there is another 120 years further to come playing at ST. JAME’S PARK

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Think you will find the majority will be ok with it this time also, however we will have to just wait and see. As I said a respect your opinion.

Likewise!

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Exactly this. Nice to see!

It won’t last, wait until the return of the King, not Kev, but Al, @Mikeking….

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Aye, because and I mean this, they can do all of that and not have to or without having to desecrate our history, heritage, culture, legacy which all stemmed from 11 blokes back in the late 18 hundreds playing on some muddy, grassy uneven field that was once the gallows bang in the City Centre to the now world renowned, famous, regional and local historical monument that is and only ever will be St. Jame’s Park 120 years on, I’d hope there is another 120 years further to come playing at ST. JAME’S PARK

St James' Park. Mate. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Hopefully the new owners will just make a fuck off offer to the owners' of the land Ashley sold and try and get that back under our control. 

Aye, and I’m confident they will actually explore every Avenue possible to develop SJP first rather than move, I just hope we never do relocate. 

Guest dazzanufc1892

If it helps with FFP then its silly not to. Its like the arena in Manchester, its not been the MEN arena for about 20 years but thats what everyone still calls it. We will all know it as St James', the fans will call it that. Bigger picture, if a sponsorship means you can spend an extra 200m on players over a few years, its the right thing to do. Missing out and stunting growth due a name is silly. Its not like they're renaming Newcastle United